Cars 2

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'd like to see Cars become a TV series. I know they've had Mater's Tall Tales, but I think a half hour series would be great. Adventures in Radiator Springs and the characters like Red, Sarge, Filmore, and the others have their own crazy adventures.
Yes, but we'd have to renounce to it being either 2-D animated (be it traditionalish or ugh... flash) or quite inferior CGI. There is NO way they'd be able to keep up the same production values (just yet anyway) for a recurring 13-56 episode animate program... though, as I said, the spy angle would work much better in that format. Look at Buzz Lightyear. Other than a series of reusable openings from Pixar, the rest of the show was animated differently. If it was CGI, it would look closer to Reboot than Toy Story (probably would have to use Mainframe or another studio too). Plus, I really think keeping it a 2-D cartoon gives it the angle that it is indeed the exact show Andy watches that Buzz came from 9or was given a series to sell the toy better).

I'll give Cars 2 a chance, no doubt about it, and I'm sure it will perform very well at the box office and (as it still is from the first one) sell a ton of toys. But...I don't know. I'm with Frogboy, I'm looking more forward to the second Monsters Inc.
As long as the Monsters don't build a time machine and fight a gang of dinosaurs... :big_grin:

Disney

Reaction score
I'd like to see Cars become a TV series. I know they've had Mater's Tall Tales, but I think a half hour series would be great. Adventures in Radiator Springs and the characters like Red, Sarge, Filmore, and the others have their own crazy adventures.
Not a bad idea. I like where you're coming from on this one. It might be hard to get John Lasseter to do an entire TV series, but who knows. The guy really knows how to work some magic....

:wink:

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
I might as well come back here and say my opinion.

Cars 2... it took Pixar 12 movies but for the first time I can't really say I'm excited for an upcoming Pixar movie. Cars was far from my favorite Pixar movie but it's still a great, great movie (it totally deserved to win Best Animated Picture the year it came out, Happy Feet only won because of the pro-environment thing and motion capture isn't real animation). But my main problem is that this doesn't feel like Cars going by the trailer. It's like if The Lion King 2 was about Simba being captured and taken to the Central Park Zoo and Timon, Pumbaa, Nala and Zazu attempt to get to New York to rescue him [no Madagascar comparisons please :embarrassed:]. Would you feel like your watching a Lion King sequel? Not at all. This doesn't feel like the Cars I know. Now, it could be argued that Toy Story 3 was more of a drama with comic relief compared to the more light-hearted first two movies but the Toy Story films were really about showing a life and we have to see that next step in a toy's life. And Toy Story 3 at least had strong connections to it's predecessors. Aside from Lightning McQueen and Mater, I see absolutely no connection between Cars 2 and Cars. I'll still surely see the movie unless it's Rotten Tomatoes rating is exceptionally low but I find myself more excited for Winnie the Pooh as the big animated movie of the summer for me.

Mupp

Reaction score
Aside from Lightning McQueen and Mater, I see absolutely no connection between Cars 2 and Cars.
Cars 2 involves McQueen racing around the world in the World Grand Prix. That is the reason why they are in Europe in the first place.

Racing; that's a connection to the first movie right there.
That sounds like Cars to me.

I have to say, I will never understand why some people don't like Cars. There is NOT any good, valid, adult reason not to at least like the film.

If someone says: "I liked the film but its not my favorite" then that is understandable. Anything else, is just people being childish. (I have heard nothing but childish reasons for people flat-out not liking the film.)

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Cars 2 involves McQueen racing around the world in the World Grand Prix. That is the reason why they are in Europe in the first place.

I have to say, I will never understand why some people don't like Cars. There is NOT any good, valid, adult reason not to at least like the film.

If someone says: "I liked the film but its not my favorite" then that is understandable. Anything else, is just people being childish. (I have heard nothing but childish reasons for people flat-out not liking the film.)
I liked Cars okay and it is a quality made film, but it's certainly one of my least favorites. Personal taste varies and that's valid too. It is important we have the maturity to accept the differences in others even if we completely disagree - and to do so without judging them for it. :smile:

beau

Reaction score
I LOVED the original Cars film, and it wasn't because I love racing.

I loved Cars because of the Route 66 connection. There's A LOT of stuff in it inspired by real places in Arizona that I have personally seen and would love to see again.

Drtooth

Reaction score

The espionage thing must be the problem. I'm warming up to the idea, but it seems like something that would work a bit better in an animated series or comic book. Plus, the fact it was bumped up into production... not rushed, just bumped, due to the fact another movie was canceled casts a little shadow on it.

That said, Cars is a matter of taste thing. I enjoyed it, and got some of the cars myself... and got ticked when someone got cleaning bleach somehow on my Lightning McQueen shirt, but it isn't my favorite of their films. I'm not saying it's a bad film... I'm not saying it's a not very good film. I'm saying it's a good film, but a lot of their others greatly outshine it. Up and TS3 were real emotional movies that make you feel emotions you forget you even had. Any movie that makes you feel the entire human spectrum of emotions is a rare gem. But sometimes, it's nice for something like Cars, which isn't as deep as certain other films, which is fun to watch.

That said, I agree and am looking forward more to Winnie the Pooh... not so much because of the 2-D traditional, but it's been a while since we've had a good Pooh project. I'm... I'm not a fan of them being superhero detectives.

Mupp

Reaction score
I LOVED the original Cars film, and it wasn't because I love racing.

I loved Cars because of the Route 66 connection. There's A LOT of stuff in it inspired by real places in Arizona that I have personally seen and would love to see again.
Very true, good point. :smile:

That's one of the main reasons why I loved the film as well.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Now that I think about it, Cars actually felt like it was not so much about racing, but that there are more important things in life than winning and stuff like that. Lightning didn't grow as a character until he moved away FROM racing and met all the Radiator Springs locals. The journey is half the fun, and speed is just another word for impatience. So, I'm wondering what else this movie will offer besides racing and spies... I might just see this yet.

Disney

Reaction score
Cast

I think you guys are really going to enjoy the voice cast for Cars 2. As someone pointed out, Michael Caine is doing the voice for Finn McMissle. John Turturro is also a part of the voice cast, not to mention original voice cast members like Owen Wilson.