Cars Sidequel/Spinoff "Planes" Coming Soon

Drtooth

Reaction score
I don't quite see TV show. Maybe short subjects like Cars did. It depends on how much they're willing to spend on a CGI weekly series. If you look at all the Dreamworks based cartoons, while very impressive, the CGI is completely streamlined, and characters have been redesigned to accommodate that.

Of course, the movie hasn't even been released yet, and it's in August. A notorious dump month. I hate to say it, but I hope Smurfs 2 crushes this film.

Teheheman

Reaction score
Didn't TBS actually do a sitcom with that concept years ago? I remember thinking that how of all the locations sitcoms have taken place in, there was yet to be a sitcom that took place in a grocery store... then it came out.
No, I think you're thinking of the show '15 Items or Less' and the movie I'm thinking of would be the items in the store coming to life when the store is closed lol.

Daniel

mr3urious

Reaction score
Here's the latest teaser.

Doesn't look too bad, probably because there's no dialogue.

KremlingWhatnot

Reaction score
No, I think you're thinking of the show '15 Items or Less' and the movie I'm thinking of would be the items in the store coming to life when the store is closed lol.

Daniel
Yeah, that was used for Foodfight!
so, Disney can't use the concept
and oh yeah, I saw the movie, it's bad, really bad

Drtooth

Reaction score
I would give it a chance if it wasn't for Dane freaking Cook. But you can just see huge piles of unsold Plane toys while Disney couldn't get rid of the Wreck it Ralph stuff fast enough.

I never got any of it. :sigh:

robodog

Reaction score
I don't think you can really blame Pixar for this. Doesn't Disney own the characters as well as Pixar itself? They can pretty much do whatever they want and there's probably not much Pixar can do about it.

This is a bigger and more shameless cash grab than Cars 2. And Cars 2 lost Pixar a few brownie points with a lot of people. I don't think it should be held against them. Considering all the good films they've made they should be allowed one mediocre film. And Cars 2 wasn't bad. The worst Pixar movie is still better than a lot of other films.

But, yeah. Disney's milking the Cars cash cow with both hands. They're milking it so hard and so fast the udders have friction burns and the cow is a dried out husk. Cars 2 was worth watching once. I doubt Planes will even reach that kind of quality.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I don't think you can really blame Pixar for this. Doesn't Disney own the characters as well as Pixar itself? They can pretty much do whatever they want and there's probably not much Pixar can do about it.
Lassiter signed off on it and is still involved in some degree of development. I can't blame Pixar at all, this is Disney wanting a sub-cash cow franchise of a cash cow franchise.

I just don't think an August release date is going to give them the results they're hoping for. August films tend to... die in the box office. If Paranorman couldn't find an audience, nothing can. Plus, isn't August when the second cacophonous Smurf film comes out?

Not to mention, while a second Cars was a no-brainer, the merchandise didn't sell as well as the first one, and retailers over ordered. Disney wants Cars to be their Boys brand (girls get princesses and Tinkerbelle), but it's just not as strong as it was with the first one.

Teheheman

Reaction score
Yeah, that was used for Foodfight!
so, Disney can't use the concept
and oh yeah, I saw the movie, it's bad, really bad
DANGNABIT!!! I guess I'll have to think of another concept.........clothing coming to life after the people leave the house? No? Um............I got nothin

Daniel

Drtooth

Reaction score

But the kids were fully aware of him, does it count?