Cartoons can't smoke no more

muppetsforlife

Reaction score
Do you mean on any cartoon? even adult ones? I know Patty and Selma on the Simpson's both smoke. I was surfing youtube the other day and found an old clip with the flintstones smoking and promoting Winston cigarettes. Times sure have changed.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
The pilot short of Cow and Chicken had to do with The Red Guy (then known as The Devil) dragging Chicken to h*** for under-aged smoking.

Andy

Reaction score
It's only England's BOOMERANG channel that's doing this. Frankly, I'd be more concerned about some of the other stuff they air...MILE HIGH and FOOTBALLER$ WIVE$ leap to mind for example. I guess it's OK to expose kids to promiscuity, but not a smoking cartoon cat. :rolls eyes:

Kiki

Reaction score
No smoking in cartoons?? :concern:
What is this world coming to?

Giar Fraggle

Reaction score
It's because today's society is strange, twisted, and more concerned about some values (health and education) than others (morality and character).

Isn't that just peachy?

Convincing John

Reaction score
I hope this doesn't spread to editing out smoking Muppets as well. Think of the characters from various productions that have smoked (or still do) and would therefore be edited out of DVDs if certain people had their way::rolleyes:

Bobby Benson
J.P. Grosse
Lord Chatterly (from Alphabet Chats)
Alistair Cookie (who doubled his tobacco intake by EATING his pipe)
King Goshposh
Statler (exploding cigar in the Juliet Prowse TMS episode)
Fozzie (exploding cigar in the Phyllis George episode)
Floyd (smoked a hookah in the Brooke Shields episode)

And there are many more instances of course, but let's hope that this stuff reaches our hands in DVD form before more unnecessary cuts are considered.

As a side note, they don't seem to be as concerned with violence (at least where TMS was shown on Nickelodeon). One day they played TMS on Nickelodeon, during their pre-school time block called "Nick Jr."

Anyway, the rating "TV Y" appeared up in the corner, and there was the close-up of the dressing room door, followed by Scooter's knocking.

Now keep in mind that the "TV Y" stayed in the corner as Scooter came in...

"Liza Minelli, Liza Minelli, fifteen seconds to curtain, Liza!"

And the "TV Y" still stayed there as Scooter staggered in and collapsed with the knife in his back.

As Kermit said once "Think about this, friends."

Convincing John

ReneeLouvier

Reaction score
Convincing John said:
And the "TV Y" still stayed there as Scooter staggered in and collapsed with the knife in his back.

As Kermit said once "Think about this, friends."
This happened in the Liza Minelli episode? I don't seem to remember that....*goes to see which season that's in so she can try to find the episode layout*

Convincing John

Reaction score
Yes, indeed it did.

Here's two links that give the outlines for the episode:

http://www.kermitage.com/html/epguide/tms/season4/minnelli.html

http://muppet.wikia.com/wiki/Episode_414:_Liza_Minnelli

Other "Non TV-Y" moments in that episode:

Fritz the director (Strangepork) is shot

At the end of "A Quiet Thing", a stabbed corpse comes tumbling out of a dressing room wardrobe.

Lew Zealand, Bunsen, Beaker, the Swedish Chef and penguins are poisoned by the cafeteria food.

Not exactly "Nick Jr." fare, eh?

"Think about this, friends"...:smile:

Convincing John

DanDanStrawberry

Reaction score
Andy said:
It's only England's BOOMERANG channel that's doing this. Frankly, I'd be more concerned about some of the other stuff they air...MILE HIGH and FOOTBALLER$ WIVE$ leap to mind for example
Footballers' Wives doesn't show on the Boomerang channel :stick_out_tongue: (probably just as well too, dearie me)

ps. No one watched Mile High anyway, so there's no chance of that influencing young people hehehe