1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Save Muppet Central Radio
    Within days Muppet Central Radio could be off the air. Show your support and save the station by listening via Radionomy's website and apps. We're also on iTunes and Apple TV. Learn More

carving polyfoam

Discussion in 'Puppet Building and Performing' started by piggy989piggy, Feb 18, 2016.

1. piggy989piggy

piggy989piggy Member

I'm trying to make a puppet and I only have a foam block does anyone know any methods of cutting the foam I tried to cut it with a kitchen knife but it did'nt went well...

2. JammieJam

JammieJam New Member

Persona Blades are great for this, they are very sharp and you can bend them to make scoops:
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000EVEL3W...UTF8&colid=NDV0J1GTECQH&coliid=I1N954IUOQGRWM

For larger cuts you can use an electric kitchen knife. Also cheap scissors are good for shaping, but the foam will dull them so make sure you don't spend much.

Stan Winston School has the first part of their foam shaping video up. They're a great resource.

KermieBaby47 likes this.
  3. piggy989piggy

piggy989piggy Member

thanks! this realy helped!

JammieJam likes this.
  4. Buck-Beaver

Buck-Beaver Well-Known Member

Persona Blades are great, but I mainly use box cutter blades. They're cheap and with practice, you can make much cleaner and more precise cuts with them than electric kitchen knives. Just be very careful - it's very easy to cut yourself when carving. Always practice proper knife safety and cut away from your hands/body and keep a first aid kit nearby (I often wear cut resistant gloves to protect my hands in case my knife ever slips).

You can look up wood carving tutorials to help get you started (different tools and materials, but the basic principles are the same).

KermieBaby47 likes this.