Casting Call for the Crossbreed

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
This is a discussion carried over from another thread. I am looking for voice artists to lend their talents to characters in my online comic. The work is pretty easy – only a few sound bites, but since there is no profit involved in the project there is no money. This would be a labor of love and I there would be a credited in every portion your voice was used along with the credits page. I can also offer a link (with a possible brief bio) if you have a site with your own work.

The comic portion will have very few spoken lines – most text will be in word balloons. There is an interactive section I am working on. Here is a very rough prototype – be kind. All the art will be replaced:
www.jamesvier.com/amm/3dtest.html

Here is the breakdown of characters I may need. Think PG-13 rated:

Trace the purple Terrier-
A somewhat mod twenty-something club kid who works by day as an under-appreciated video clerk. I was thinking that he had somewhat of a young crackly Michael J Fox-type of voice, but not as played-up that way. [He really isn't the Romeo wannabe he seems in the animation I just showed you. I may have another character read those lines] Trace really isn't that suave or good with people, but he is friendly.

Jack the Fox-
A motorcycle driving, chain smoking rebel without a clue, young Jack Nicholson/James Dean-type and Trace's roommate. Sometimes friends, sometimes foes. They like the same girl. This guy is rather suave but has a bad temper and some rather shady dealings.

Ronnie (Veronica) the Cat
A mixture of a twenty-something Madonna, Pink and Jessica Rabbit. She's kind of a b(expletive) with a heart of gold. Rough around the edges but always beautiful. Be careful - she can kick some serious butt!

Sparky Squirrel
Okay, this one is hard to explain here on the board so read between the lines guys. I am a moderator you know. Sparky is not a perky little guy, on the contrary, he's mellow yet sometimes paranoid. Big pupils, blood-shot eves and a sharp wit. He would be a member of the Green party if he could get off his bushy tail and make it to the voting booth.

Jonez the Squid-
Another one that's hard to explain. A security guard/bouncer Samuel L. Jackson-type, but friendlier. He's good with the ladies and always in possession of his cel phone. Jonez is the go-to guy for a lot of stuff.

Skid the Otter-
A kind of cynical skater guy, but more of a poser.

Blinx the Bee
This little guy may be a bee, but he's also quite the pool shark. Cute looking, but more of a mature attitude. He packs quite the punch too. He can be a little (insert expletive here) but in a funny way. He's a good guy but skates the line in the company he keeps.

Villains:
Chuck Rabbit-
Yes, the name means something here. Cross between Wile E. Coyote and Snoop Dog, much license can be taken with him and his speech patterns. This is a character to have fun with.

Avery Hyena-
Yes, the name means something here too. Think Clueless Morgan meets Sal the Monkey-meets Tex Avery's Wolf. A scammer, but not too bright. Gets himself into some interesting messes.

Tweak the Skunk-
Punk skater teen type. He's always in trouble but can talk his way out of anything. He's out hassling people when he should be doing his homework.

Mysterious Shadowed Figure
James Bond villain kind of voice. If you provide the voice, I'll give you the low-down on his character.

Most of these characters can be seen at:
www.jamesvier.com/crossbreed

If you need a sketch of one that is not listed and are serious about auditioning a voice I can send something off to you. I don't have a timetable for this so it's really at the phase one stage right now. I am writing about it because interest was expressed. I am looking for a lean group of a few people to keep things simple.

The first episode has been written and storyboarded It only includes Trace and Jack, but there is the interactive lounge to think about. I'm not sure how many voices I will cast, but these are some characters who will definitely be coming up in coming months and I do have a rather epic cast. More information in the future.

You may post to me or use this email for future discussions: crossbreed@jamesvier.com

Thanx

Janice & Mokey's Man

Reaction score
OMG Jamie!! I would LOVE to do a voice should you find me suitable for one!! :eek:

:big_grin:

Just ask Jackie and Emmy, they know I LOVE to use my voice, in lotsa different ways! LOL! :big_grin:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I'm loving this response. Keep in mind that it could take some months to get the art done (as we all know) but I think it's great to have so many people offering their talents to this project.

If you have any interesting voices apart from those listed it could be assigned to one of many other characters. So it could match somebody else and I may bump them up in chapter 2 or 3 (this will be published quarterly).

BTW - MP3 files are okay, but WAV files are prefered. Work submitted doesn't need to be lengthy, just long enough to get a good impression.

Janice & Mokey's Man

Reaction score
Yeesh, now I'm overwhelmed---I don't know where to start with voices! lol!

<---needs to apparently practice or match or do somethin'...

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
The first 4 are the most important/most featured, but the rest I listed are rather important too - they're kind of like the Floyds Janices in the bunch.

Crazy Harry

Reaction score
I always knew there was something about that squirrel from the first second I saw him.

radionate

Reaction score
Originally posted by Crazy Harry
I always knew there was something about that squirrel from the first second I saw him.
He reminds me of half the Theater department on campus.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
WOCKA!!

I like the name "Tweak the Skunk!" That was hilarious. Although, in real-life, if you tweak a skunk, the results are horrendous!!

FOZ

Oh, btw, you have me for whatever you need me for, Jamie; just lemme know! :smile:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Tweak used to be named "Poopie the Skunk" a decade ago. He was based on an old friend of mine who used to have a pet rat with that name. I think Tweak better fits his personality though. All of these characters are influenced by friends and pop culture. Many of the characters have received new names over the years, but they're pretty solid now.