Catch Me If You Can - A MUST See!

Cantus Rock

Reaction score
Catch Me If You Can

If you haven't seen it yet, get off your lazy hinder and do so.

The story itself is too bizarre for words. It follows the life of young Frank Abignale, a con-artist extrodinare, who sucessfully impersonates an airline pilot, a pidiatric physcian, and a lawyer all before the age of 18. He is persued by Carl Hanratty, an FBI agent who is deadset on Frank's capture. Tom Hanks, who plays Carl, gives his normal calabour of awesome performance. Leonardo DiCaprio, who plays Frank, gives an outstandingly phenominal performance (prior to viewing the film I harbored negative feelings for Leo [all of which have been relinquished post viewing]). Add the directoral vision of Steven Speilberg, and you've got one heck of a film.

The film is funny, poigniant, and has a great ending. I give it Matt's golden seal of approval and totally recommend it to all.

-Matt

beaker

Reaction score
Originally posted by Amy
Never heard of it!! Is it new out at the flicks?
Hmmm, this one flew under the radar, must be one of Spielberg's less hyped flicks. Usually he just does sci fi or history films, so this is kind of an odd new approach for him.
(I only saw Minority Report last year Spielberg wise)

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Okay, I'm an opinionated former film major. LOL!

I've heard about this film for months. Maybe I just see more promos living in San Fran. City markets seem to get the most saturation.

From what I've seen Leo seems okay. Not my favorite actor, but he looks like he's having a good time in this fun (somewhat true) film.

Hanks' accent sounds cartoonish and artificial, but otherwise he seems to slap on the patented Hanks charm.

Spielberg has impressed me less and less over the years. I have loathed most of his pictures since 1993's Schindler's List (yes, that includes Minority Report, AI, Private Ryan, Amistad and The Lost World). It's been nearly a decade since I have enjoyed one of his films, but this one excites me because it is different. He has always been great at directing actors and there aren't any effects in this to distract us from this facet of his talent.

I'm looking forward to this film even though I am not a fan of either star. Looks like a fun ride and I love that kind of movie. :smile:

Cantus Rock

Reaction score
Well, around here the promos had been running since mid November, definitely not anything of major hype. I don't believe I saw any full length promos either, just the 10 second-ers. But, as they say, the smaller the hype, the better the film. (Not alway true of course, but definitely true to this case).

I actually feel the very same way about Spielberg Jamie. Trust me, he redeems taste-wise in this film.

I suggest getting to it was fast as possible though, being that as most good films have it, it will probably be out of theaters fairly soon (being it came out on Christmas Day and I doubt it is doing well).

-Matt

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
ya i've seen promos for this movie for a few months now and they appear a lot on tv....

i saw the movie a week ago and i enjoyed it. i thought it was interesting how leonardos character was able to do all of that stuff and not get caught.....

there were times where the movie got a little slow, but it was still good

bottem line: interesting movie, so go see it...

ryan

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Matt

You are totally right. Neither actor is my fave, but they did a good job here. This just shows how Spielberg is so talented when compared to a George Lucas. Strip away the FX and Steven is still great with the actors! Such chemistry. I'd say that's something that you just can't computer generate.

The story isn't as quickly-cut/in your face like the trailers portray it. It's actually a much sweeter, well acted film. Spielberg is back on my happy list. :smile:

Oh, and the accents weren't as bad as they seemed in the previews. Yeah, they faded in and out, but not really bad at all.

mupvisiongirl

Reaction score
Haven't seen it yet (really want to, I've been seeing ad's for it everywhere!) My boyfriend saw it but he thought the book was much, much better. So if you liked the movie go read the book :big_grin: yeah, I'm a big dork who likes to read :embarrassed:

Shannon

DramaQueen86

Reaction score
i want to go see it just b/c it looks like a good story plot. did u guys know that it was based on true events, i thought that was cool.

however, have you seen thoughs adds for Gangs of New York? i not 100% on if that would be worth my time to see.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Yeah, the book seems like it would be cool. BTW - Jennifer Garner was totally wasted in that film. She just stops by to say hi and leaves, Weird. Guess she really wanted to work with Spielberg. Who wouldn't? :wink: