CBS tries new SatAM line up...?

muppetwriter

Reaction score
Ilikemuppets said:
the promo with that outline guy with the whistling music.

I mean him. He also used to sell slice Soda.
Aw, man! I remember this dude!:big_grin:

Every time they went to a commerical, he would come up and would just freak the heck out of me! I didn't realize that there was more than one of him either. They had a regular Fido Dido character (who spoke with a high, nerdy voice) and a "surfer dude" Fido Dido (who spoke with a low, beatnik voice).

I never knew what his name was, but I remember seeing him during broadcasts of Back to the Future: The Series in 1991. Ahh, memories!:smile:

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
I love Back to the Future: The Series. I especially loved the segments with Bill Nye, the Science Guy.

doctort13

Reaction score
Has anyone read the book Saturday Morning Fever : Growing up with Cartoon Culture? If you wish to revisit the glory days of cartoons & kids shows, it's a great read.

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
Saturday morning used to be so great! I remember watching Muppet Babies, Garfield and Friends, the Chipmunks, Smurfs, Pee-Wee's Playhouse and Looney Tunes on Saturday mornings! I wholeheartedly agree with what Kevin said, I pity the youth of America now who don't have the experience of laying around the house all morning in your pj's watching quality cartoon programming!

Drtooth

Reaction score
As for cartoons... well... I can only say the only good shows are stuck on Cable. Spongebob and Fairly oddparent, I feel are well done, and hilarious. The New TMNT show, until the fast forward crap was pretty good, and even a few of the Dubbed animes were pretty good... until they all went to cable or cancellation, leaving us with more of the same ones that are dubiously popular over there (Beyblade? What the shell is that?!?!)

The problem is that now, more than ever the animation market is driven for profit, especially in tweenage teenybopper bubblegum sexist shows like Winx Club and Bratz (which basically is a recruitment series for future prostitutes of America!) The only Japanese shows they air outside of cable are all toy based (to be fair, Sonic X and Kirby were pretty fun).

Not to mention that because of 3 cable channels, networks fail to compete. ABC is just Disney's line up (and some of it is good, Lilo and Stitch, Emperor's new School, the Proud family), CBS is nick Jr crap (at the moment), and NBC is Discovery kids... like, who gives a rat's fez about Discovery kids.

The less said about Kid's WB the better, and 4Kids, which used to have some pretty good shows, has released a real discouraging fall line up... a cartoon about Pinatas.... who wants to watch that?

I've ranted about the death of syndication for a while now, due in part to trailer trash court shows, and Maury Povich's horrible "Who's the Baby's Daddy" talk show. It's pretty pathetic what shows they air, actually.

Though I feel a few shows (like the ones I mentioned prior) are well done, and there are great shows for adults like Family Guy, Simpsons, Aqua Teen Hunger Force, etc (not to mention a second series of Futurama to begin airing in 2008 on Comedy central), shows for kids don't have that same, Adult and child appeal they had just years ago. It's the toy conglomerates. And it's not even decent GI Joe or Transformers stuff, either.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
This is true, but even If I don't care for Poke'mon, and like Transformers, I have to say that Poke'mon is just a modern day version of transformers, It's just inferior in quality to me.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The sad thing about Pokemon, is that since it popularized Japanese animation to the mainstream (along with over-edited versions of Dragonball Z) that everyone thinks that that's all Japanese animation is. I admit that I love the stuff, but no more or less than any other animation from any other country, any other type of animation. (Though I will admit, I favor clay and puppet 3-d a bit more, since it's harder than it looks, and it looks bloody difficult to begin with. I come from experiance).

Better Japanese shows like Naruto and One Piece (mercilessly edited, BTW) and my personal favorite BoBoBo-Bo Bo-BoBo (think of a cartoon like Naked Gun satirizing conventions of other Japanese cartoons) are kooped up on cable. We get Yu-Gi-Oh and such. I know Yugioh is really based on a comic, but the anime seems like an advertisement to me.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
I like animia like Ki-Ki's Delivery Service, and Princess Moneokay(Spelling?), and Howl's Moving Castle. Even those are movies, I used to like the animation on the movies that the SI-FI Channel used to air. some of that stuff was animated real well. And I like stuff like Tetsu Akeyra (Spelling?). Some of this stuff on Cartoon Network, Much like Hanna Barbera, has cheapened Japanamation. Ex, Flasher Brothers Cartoons, Early Disney, things Stuff today can't even compete with.