CDs and Toothpaste

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Well gang, when I got up this morning, and tried the CD again, the drive still wouldn't read it, so with no other alternative, I gave it the ol' toothpaste treatment that everyone is saying actually works like a charm... and guess what?

It didn't work. As a matter of fact, it actually made the disc worse! I did as instructed - used a Q-tip to "polish" the disc from the center to the outer edge, all the way around, rinsed it off with warm water, dried it with a soft cloth, popped it in the drive, and waited, and waited, and waited and waited... nothing. So guess what? Now I'm in a BAD MOOD! :mad: :crazy: :grouchy:

EDIT: Okay, so I did research on how to recover files from a scratched CD, and was able to download a free program that would read the damaged CD, and extract all non-corrupted files; so I was able to do that and re-burn the files to a new, black CD-R... the only problem was that there were two files that couldn't be read because of corruption... and I'll give you all a hint as to what those two files were... they both had something to do with a certain purple monster...

Scott S

Reaction score
The toothpaste thing will work. You do need to use the regular (non-gel) toothpaste. Yes it will put more scratches in your CD, however you need to finish it off by using a piece of felt to polish out those scratches. Without doing this last step it won't work. It also will not look as good as a new CD, but as long as it works.

Of course if the scratches are bad enough it will not work.

Glad to hear that you got most of your data off your CD.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
EDIT: Okay, so I did research on how to recover files from a scratched CD, and was able to download a free program that would read the damaged CD, and extract all non-corrupted files; so I was able to do that and re-burn the files to a new, black CD-R... the only problem was that there were two files that couldn't be read because of corruption... and I'll give you all a hint as to what those two files were... they both had something to do with a certain purple monster...
Oh no! Not the Two Headed Monster!

Krazedmuppet

Reaction score

LOL so what are you going to do with your new lady in a balconey? think you should....

never mind I could not finish that sentence with out it sounding dirty, and I was really really trying LOL

D'Snowth

Reaction score
He could give her to his One... I still have that phone number written down somewhere...

*Reads over notepad* Let's see... 1-111-1111-11111111111111111111111111-6...

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Well, according to the United States Phone Service, it was way too many numbers anyway. *Tosses pad*

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
yeah, heard about the toothpaste things before. It has and it does work.

Anyway, hope you were able to recover the corrupted files.