CG Tom & Jerry, Yogi Bear & Jetsons?

Drtooth

Reaction score
I still want to hear more about the upcoming Marvin the Martian movie.
I wonder if they're even putting that in production. Warners still seems to be reeling from how much of a box office disaster Looney Tunes Back in Action was. I thought it was a good, enjoyable film, but people wanted to see Will Ferrel in his trademark overly tight pants, acting like a giant five year old, and Mike Myers slashing and burning a beloved classic instead. And not only that, Loonatics totally killed anything for them. It was a misguided attempt that turned into a generic action cartoon, delivering nothing special... unlike, Sylvester and Tweety Mysteries, Taz-Mania, and Duck Dodgers....

chrisfason

Reaction score
I would agree with you up until the part about making money... these things cost more money to make than they take in. So it's like a double, what's the point I must say...
it's not so much the studios making the money from the box office as it is that people getting paid for a project getting the green light. Sometimes, studios or actors or directors or whoever, will move on a "junk" project just to finish up a contract so they can move on to their next gig. it's all part of the hollywood hustle.

I can take a project like it if it's well done. Personally, I loved George of the Jungle... while not 100% accurate to the TV show, it was very much in the same spirit, right down to characters arguing with the narrator, and people saying the wrong word and the narrator correcting them. Fat Albert, I felt was a fine production, making it an enjoyable movie. And considering Cosby never actually wrote the TV show himself, it was great that he wrote the script... the ending even almost made me cry...

I'm looking forward to the Jetsons, as long as it's done right. It's been so long since they've got a decent project for those guys going. Even the animated movie from 1990 flopped... I liked it and everything, but replacing Janet Waldo with some at the moment pop sensation was a huge mistake on their part. Plus, half the cast passed away while they were making it. There is a very heart breaking story about the guy who played George Jetson that I don't want to go into.
agreed. if they can keep to the heart of the original, that's what's important. you can have all of the right pieces in place, but without capturing the essence of what makes it good, it'll never make it in the eyes of the public.

As long as they don't get as bad and cheaply made as Underdog, I think they'll be alright. I actually think the idea of a live action Tom and Jerry like cartoon thing movie has merit.... if they take a real mouse and a real cat, and just use the CGI to enhance them, that would be very interesting. Yogi, however... nahhh... it has some potential, if they did it more Roger Rabbit style with an actual cartoon Yogi...
eh, call me a purist, but i'd rather not see another odie-fied animal. i don't see why there aren't more roger rabbit style movies, minus the cost and difficulty of merging the real and the animated, that is...

BlakeMP

Reaction score
Ugh. I can't think of a classic cartoon character that I've liked in CG. Has anyone seen those 3-D Disney cartoons? Mickey Mouse's head in three dimensions is just BIZARRE.

chrisfason

Reaction score
Ugh. I can't think of a classic cartoon character that I've liked in CG. Has anyone seen those 3-D Disney cartoons? Mickey Mouse's head in three dimensions is just BIZARRE.
yeah, those aren't disney's best cg work for sure.

and hey, why can't we accept the idea of feature length traditionally animated movies anymore? why's it all gotta be cg? studio ghibli still has the right idea and creates some fantastic 2-d animated films.

KermieBaby47

Reaction score
Puke. Whatever happened to original ideas? I haven't even tried to watch the Alvin movie, maybe I would if they had at least gotten their look right.

Dumb. :mad:

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
The only CGI/Live remake that impressed me was Scooby Doo. Not the movie itself, its was just...blah. But at least they got Scooby right...mostly

Erine81981

Reaction score
I wouldn't mind a Tom & Jerry, Yogi Bear and Jetson's movie. I love them all and have always pictured them as characters i would love to see in a real world. I know that sounds stupid and dumb to think like that but seeing how the Scooby Doo did and The Flintstones did. I love them both to bits. I have both of the Scooby Doo movies on DVD and at the moment don't have the Flintstones yet but i'm waiting for a Special Edition for both movies. I went and saw both Scooby Doo movies in theater and only saw the second Flintstone in theater but enjoyed it too. So with me since "The Chipmunks" movie did well and they didn't ruin anything (what others have said) i'll enjoy any of these movies even if something i don't like. I also thought about not seeing the new Dragon Ball movie but after seeing the newest preview for it. I'm all in for seeing it now.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Yeah, I loved Viva Rock Vegas! And I thought the roll of Fred Flintstone was perfect casting as well. That was a really funny moving and I thought it was better then the first one.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I also thought about not seeing the new Dragon Ball movie but after seeing the newest preview for it. I'm all in for seeing it now.
Don't. Instead, try looking for a Hong Kong "Dragon Ball" movie... I forget the title of it, but it's much better. At the very least, they got Master Roshi down perfectly, right down to his perverted ways. I love how in the American One Chow Yun Fat didn't want to go bald, have a beard, or be a crazy old man who likes teenage girls. So, they took what was essentially Roshi (the best character in Dragon Ball) and stripped him of everything that made him a great character.

I haven't even tried to watch the Alvin movie, maybe I would if they had at least gotten their look right.
I objected to how they made the Chipmunks look at first. I still think the movie would have been just as good had they been the size of small children, like in the cartoons... but the Chipmunks in the movie have a basic design of their earliest album covers...as seen here. Plus, I didn't so much see that movie as a live action version of the 50's or 80's cartoon series, so much as an alligory slash semi-biopic about the real Dave Seville, who himself was a struggling music writer until he discovered the speeding up audio process. I will spot you that Jason Lee is woefully miscast (It really should have been Bob Sagat)... but the movie is surprisingly good. Of course, I think David Cross steals the show and makes the movie better than it could have been.

Erine81981

Reaction score
Don't. Instead, try looking for a Hong Kong "Dragon Ball" movie... I forget the title of it, but it's much better. At the very least, they got Master Roshi down perfectly, right down to his perverted ways. I love how in the American One Chow Yun Fat didn't want to go bald, have a beard, or be a crazy old man who likes teenage girls. So, they took what was essentially Roshi (the best character in Dragon Ball) and stripped him of everything that made him a great character.
I see where your coming from. That's kinda how a friend of mine had put too. Thanks for that Drtooth.