CGI Overusage?

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
CGI can be and is often great and impressive. But it's still in its infancy, and in my opinion, it's used way too much. Beowulf, unfortunately, is a perfect example (this film was also disapointing for its dialogue, content and disrespectul nature, in my opinion). SPOILERS

All the human characters are CGI and it just doesn't work. There's little to no life in the eyes of the characters. Standard animation would have been so much better because it's been developed and perfected for years.

Drtooth

Reaction score
All the human characters are CGI and it just doesn't work. There's little to no life in the eyes of the characters. Standard animation would have been so much better because it's been developed and perfected for years.
Well, considering it was motion capture, it was pretty much a medium that hasn't been tapped to often. However, I do NOT like my CGI looking realistic in that aspect. look at Ratatoullie or the Incredibles. They over come the handy cap of CGI humans looking akward by stylizing them enough to make them look like cartoon characters, but while still giving them realistic textures and renderings. I mean, the fact that every single hair on Sully's fur is rendered gives it a nice realistic look to it, but he still looks like a cartoon character.

That's the problem I have with things like Shrek. Sure, I love Shrek. his films may not be as good as anything Pixar could do in 20 minutes, but I do find the appeal. But I just think the humans, first movie to third, look a little awkward and off. I see Dreamworks changed how they made humans for Bee Movie, Over the hedge, and Madagascar. I liked what they did, stylizing everything like that. Giving them the cartoony feel they should have.

Beauregard

Reaction score
Ok...really extreme example...but what happened to all the nurses who used to cuarterise wounds with hot-irons when they invented the idea of surgically sewing the viens closed? Surely they weren't out of a job! They adapted their talents. Tech does move on. Why would we want to slow it down?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Indeed. this is a relitively new thing. Reletively. It has been around since earlier than we think, and it really became what we know today in the 80's. Soon it will look flawless. But I still want my cartoons to look like cartoons, no matter the medium. If you can draw, render, sculpt something that looks realistic, that's good for you. But I like big bulbouse eyes, goofy noses, large open mouths, unrealistic proportions in reletivity to height. You know. Things that are cartoony looking.

rexcrk

Reaction score
I don't have a problem with all-CGI cartoons (Toy Story and Shrek and such) but the problem I have is when it's over-used in live action movies.

The way I see it, when you use CGI in a live action movie it just makes it a lot like "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" but with 3D characters instead of 2D.

Some movies manage to pull it off though, Lord of the Rings (for the most part), Transformers '07, and Jurassic Park.

MrsPepper

Reaction score
For the record, motion capture creeps me out. :/ I will do as you so politely ask, Beau, and give it a chance to evolve, but I hope it does so soon because there's just this weird inexplicable quality about motion capture that is a bit strange.

wwfpooh

Reaction score
Just as long as it doesn't butcher things (like Disney did with beloved Underdog) and actually looks like it should--i.e. looks animated when it's to be cartoony and looks realistic when it's supposed to look real--then I am cool with CGI (but not at the expense of cutting out the other forms, especially 2D animation).

Drtooth

Reaction score
Just as long as it doesn't butcher things (like Disney did with beloved Underdog) and actually looks like it should--i.e. looks animated when it's to be cartoony and looks realistic when it's supposed to look real--then I am cool with CGI (but not at the expense of cutting out the other forms, especially 2D animation).
Actually, more CGI would have helped Underdog. Or better yet, just make the whole movie CGI. The big mistake in that film was taking an anthropomorph and making it an animal with human characteristics on top of animal ones. Same problem with Inspector gadget (Brain being a real Dog, and a CGI talking gadgetmobile? Wrong!)

I can take CGI, as long as the plot, acting, script and everything else were well done. unfortunately, it ususally isn't the case.