CGI replacing puppets and cartoons :(

Drtooth

Reaction score
I saw Secret Life of Pets yesterday, and got a trailer for some lame James Patterson novel for kids adaption called "Middle School: The Worst years of my Life" or something to that extent. It's some cartoonishly unrealistic school principal and the whole thing felt like it's a theatrical Nickelodeon telefilm.

And this would be truly unremarkable if not for one thing. The kid has a journal of sketches...

Which are animated tradtionally. Yep. You got 2-D animation in my mediocre tween movie. Yeah, it sound like a knockoff of that Kirby buckets thing, but the 2-D animation scenes looked beautiful. It's a shame they blew it on a movie that's clearly inferior to what that kind of animation deserves to be pared with.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Supposedly Toho's newest Godzilla movie due out by the end of this year in the U.S. uses a combination of animatronics and suit work with motion-captured CGI. Would have loved to see the American movies use that. :sigh:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I feel like if you're going to do motion capture, you might as well just do the movie live action, because it essentially is.

Drtooth

Reaction score
If you haven't seen the incredibly impressive Futurama Fan Film trailer already, you should.

But besides that, considering this is a fan film, there's such a level of care and dedication, that we can see something like this:

They could have made a CGI, they could have just sampled the cartoon series, but they went the ambitious route.