1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Changes that you actually liked

Discussion in 'Sesame Street' started by Drtooth, Nov 20, 2007.

1. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

We do have a lot of posts about the changes in SS that people hated. But we never have anything on more positive changes. There has to be some things that changed that others have liked, so this would be the place to discuss them. As far as I go, here are my favorites in no particular order.

Big Bird becomes a child - I have to admit, I don't find a big goofy version of Big Bird that endearing. he didn't seem to be the same kind of character. I think Carol really struck something by making the character more child like. He becomes more sympathetic, and much deeper a character. With characters that seem younger than him (i.e. Elmo) he seems like their bigger brother.

Snuffy's discovery While a lot of people like the original "imaginary Snuffy" years, I prefer the Snuffy out and about years myself. 2 reasons why: Firstly, as I've said before, I think big Bird is a sympathetic character. While the gag works on the same principle Road runner cartoons and episodes of I dream of Jeannie, Wile E. and Dr. Bellows were detestable in their own right, and they deserved that sort of abuse. The Bird is too sensitive a soul for that to work for me. And secondly, I like to see characters interact with as many other characters as possible. This allowed Snuffy to interact with the adults much more. Plus, I will add, I didn't like the ugly Snuffy they developed for his first season. pretty creepy looking.

Martin P. Robinson I'm lumping this into one group. As I mentioned Snuffy, that's one of the things I liked best. Where as Jerry Nelson's Snuffy was Eeorish (depressing), I felt Martin really changed the character to be more fun loving, especially with his friend Big Bird. This also applies to Telly Monster. While Brian did a good job with him, I think the character really popped with Martin's help. While still a worrier, he was now able to overly express other emotions, be he extremely happy, very angry, or just totally depressed. Plus, I do like his voice better anyway.

Journey to Ernie vs 2.0 While I can't say I was happy to see it go, I can't say I was disappointed either. After a dreadful first year, they came back, and made this segment almost enjoyable. I mean, they even got the classic 2 Headed Monster in on the act. Much better than it's first incarnation, and later segments were actually pretty fun to watch (Especially the B museum featurng Bob). I want to add, the segment that replaced it is also gone. Another great change.

overall character redesigns Well, up to the 90's anyway. Ernie and Bert were pretty ugly as characters to begin with, as well as various Anything Muppets. Orange Oscar doesn't do anything for me, and Big Bird without a feathery head looks like he's sick or something. I think most of the characters achived their perfect looks by 1989, and certain newer characters achived their looks years after their debut (Baby bear especially).
  2. SSLFan

SSLFan Well-Known Member

Hmmm..this is an interesting topic. As for my favorite change of all :

Around the Corner: While many Classic Sesame fans disliked the whole concept:rolleyes: , I personally thought it was a great idea, and really helped Sesame St. get back on it's feet after the time of depression it was going through( the death's Henson and Hunt). There was also a new line of supporting charcthers I should say( I don't think they were ever intended to steal the spotlight of much of the beloved classic muppets like Grover, Count, Herry, etc.). There were also new settings on the street, like the Furry Arms Hotel or The Park(my favorite location), which gave the writers many creative storylines to come up with. In the end, I loved AtC and was sad to see it go.

R.I.P "Around the Corner":cry:
  3. travellingpat

travellingpat Active Member

Um lets see....Im going to have to agree with you on the Martin Robinson one.....another is the hiring of Kevin Clash...he really reinvigorated the show with the promotion of Elmo from a background character to a star........but hes also one of the downfalls because he has since taken time away from some classic characters.....but lets not get into that....haha :)
  4. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

After I started watching the show again regular in the late 90s, I pretty was open to any change they introduced us to.

I didn't mind Hooper's Store being repainted blue, then orange, or the major set changes of 2002, the only thing I didn't care for was when in 2002 and until 2003 they painted the doors and window frames of 123 red, so I'm glad they went back to green in 2004.
  5. muppet maniac

muppet maniac Well-Known Member

Changes I liked?

I'm not exactly sure, but to me, Sesame Street went from good---okay---fair to bad in Season 36 when it devoted a whole chunk of the show to healthy eating (I mean, what is this? "Nutrition Street"?)---and in Season 37 with the addition of Abby Cadabby.

Of course, that's just me.
  6. Drtooth

The changes don't have to be in recent years to be liked. Things changed subtly in the course of the show. And then a few major ones here and there.

My other favorite Change?

Roscoe Orman- Now, I have no problems with Matt Robinson or Hal Miller, but to be sure, I think Roscoe is just the best Gordon we've had. He has a diginfied lovable silliness to him, and if you're working with Muppets, this is a must. He took the character to one of the most recognizable adult humans on SS, right up their with Bob. Plus I just love the music of his voice.
  7. Wiseman

Wiseman Member

Many changes I have liked and not liked

I've been around since SS's beginnings and I can say that I like the addition of many fairy tale characters as regulars on the street. This sort of gives kids a chance to look at the characters differently than just in the books. I also like the fact that outside of the book in SS the 3 pigs and the wolf actually get along, showing that each one is just doing their job in the story. I also like seeing teens as regualr characters on the show, this gives little kids a chance to interact with many age groups, also because in today's society the parents are no longer watching the show with their children instead the child is being babysat by his big brother/sister it provides the older kid with a character he/she can relate to.
    I don't like the fact that the Street stories are usually played out to the end in the beginning of the show. I preferred it back when the Street stories were broken up throughout the show and the letter and number segments were like the commercials on the regular shows. This also helped to make sense of the ending statement that the show was brought to you by the letters A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y and Z; and by the numbers 1 to infinity.
  8. D'Snowth

But Season 36 was their best season so far!
  9. SSLFan

SSLFan Well-Known Member

Well, Season 37 get my vote as the best season. Season 38 is the worst.
  10. D'Snowth

Hmm, haven't seen all of Season 38 yet, but so far I thought it's been pretty good. Season 37 was terrible, in my opinion, though my vote for worst goes to Season 35. *Shrug*
  11. Daffyfan2003

Daffyfan2003 Active Member

I have to agree with a lot of things that were mentioned here. I mean I grew up with a bald Gordon a green Oscar and the current designs of Big Bird, Bert and Ernie. It's hard to imagine whether or not I'd be that interested in the show if they weren't around when I watched in the 80s. I also prefer the current voices of Snuffy and Telly, Jerry and Brian never seemed to give those characters much personality. Marty really does a terrific job with both characters.
  12. Drtooth

Yeah. I mean, I love Jerry, but Snuff clearly wasn't the character for him. He made him way too depressing, and I thought that snuffy wasn't as developed as Marty's. As I said, he took the character from being an Eeyore type to more of a pal for Big Bird... you know, the kind of wacky friends that pal around. That sort of thing. And Telly... heck, that's why he's one of my favorites.
  13. Muppet dude

Muppet dude Active Member

I liked it when they changed the Baby Bear puppet in 1998. The older one looked ugly!

And I also like the new nighttime closing music introduced this past season.

But I must note, when Marty Robinson first started performing Telly, it sounded similar to Brian Muehl's Telly voice, but then gradually evolved to the current voice of today.

I also liked "Trash Gordon," I have to admit, and I liked it even more when they made it a random thing this season.
  14. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

Speaking of Gordon, I'm glad for another change to the character. It seems like in the first few seasons, he had a bit of a chauvinistic streak in him. The original actor (with all due respect) was even annoyed with the idea of giving Susan a job. Now, I understand they were trying to make the character of Gordon a decent strong role model for African American males, and that is very important. But the attitude he had was very '50s (and even '60s). I'm glad the show eventually moved on to the '70s and realized women needed to be represented too. :)
  15. SSLFan

SSLFan Well-Known Member

Really? I liked the older one better. He seemed much cuter and not all annoying like he is today.
  16. D'Snowth

I concur!
  17. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

Things I Like:

I like Zoe. She's a fun addition to the show and has a softer touch engaging the viewer than her more heavy-handed red friend. I haven't seen much Abby, but I feel she is meant to be marketed toward kids who like Dora the Explorer. Not sure how I feel about that, but the puppet translates beautifully into products (and balloons).

I like Telly. Yeah, he kinda started out creepy, but to me he's like a mixture of Boober Fraggle, Gonzo the Great, a bit of Snuffy's sympathetic demeanor and also an interesting monster in his own right.

I like that while the street appears tucked-away, it doesn't have the claustrophobic feel it began to acquire. I really feel the characters aren't as limited as to where they can go.

Things I don't like: ​

Elmo. You know what they should do? Make Elmo's World an actual World experience. Send him everywhere to do kind of "Traveling Matt" sort of reports on the space outside of Sesame Street. This creates an actual reason for the segments other than empty viewing calories for the kids viewing him. It also keeps him off the street segments.

Because it's not just Elmo's world, it's also his street, his products and his Countdown to Christmas. Let's give him a one way ticket around the world so kids can actually learn something. Hey, maybe he can go to India and work for The Gap! Only kidding! I really see a good, healthy opportunity.

Another thing...I agree with the healthy eating habits thing, but with Cookie Monster? Come on! They should have found a better way to deal with that. What's next? The term "monster" is too scary for kids resulting in Cookie Monster being dubbed the Veggie Creature! You know, what they should have done is make a Veggie Creature cousin of Cookie's to show contrast.

Also, I miss Bert. :(

(By the way, the Muppet Central Cards menu is a fairly good indicator how I feel about the show and characters.)
  18. heralde

Lol, if that ever happens I am done! :p
  19. SSLFan

SSLFan Well-Known Member

He's still on.
  20. heralde

Yeah but not as much, and not always with Ernie.