Changes that you actually liked

Drtooth

Reaction score
We do have a lot of posts about the changes in SS that people hated. But we never have anything on more positive changes. There has to be some things that changed that others have liked, so this would be the place to discuss them. As far as I go, here are my favorites in no particular order.

Big Bird becomes a child - I have to admit, I don't find a big goofy version of Big Bird that endearing. he didn't seem to be the same kind of character. I think Carol really struck something by making the character more child like. He becomes more sympathetic, and much deeper a character. With characters that seem younger than him (i.e. Elmo) he seems like their bigger brother.

Snuffy's discovery While a lot of people like the original "imaginary Snuffy" years, I prefer the Snuffy out and about years myself. 2 reasons why: Firstly, as I've said before, I think big Bird is a sympathetic character. While the gag works on the same principle Road runner cartoons and episodes of I dream of Jeannie, Wile E. and Dr. Bellows were detestable in their own right, and they deserved that sort of abuse. The Bird is too sensitive a soul for that to work for me. And secondly, I like to see characters interact with as many other characters as possible. This allowed Snuffy to interact with the adults much more. Plus, I will add, I didn't like the ugly Snuffy they developed for his first season. pretty creepy looking.

Martin P. Robinson I'm lumping this into one group. As I mentioned Snuffy, that's one of the things I liked best. Where as Jerry Nelson's Snuffy was Eeorish (depressing), I felt Martin really changed the character to be more fun loving, especially with his friend Big Bird. This also applies to Telly Monster. While Brian did a good job with him, I think the character really popped with Martin's help. While still a worrier, he was now able to overly express other emotions, be he extremely happy, very angry, or just totally depressed. Plus, I do like his voice better anyway.

Journey to Ernie vs 2.0 While I can't say I was happy to see it go, I can't say I was disappointed either. After a dreadful first year, they came back, and made this segment almost enjoyable. I mean, they even got the classic 2 Headed Monster in on the act. Much better than it's first incarnation, and later segments were actually pretty fun to watch (Especially the B museum featurng Bob). I want to add, the segment that replaced it is also gone. Another great change.

overall character redesigns Well, up to the 90's anyway. Ernie and Bert were pretty ugly as characters to begin with, as well as various Anything Muppets. Orange Oscar doesn't do anything for me, and Big Bird without a feathery head looks like he's sick or something. I think most of the characters achived their perfect looks by 1989, and certain newer characters achived their looks years after their debut (Baby bear especially).

SSLFan

Reaction score
Hmmm..this is an interesting topic. As for my favorite change of all :

Around the Corner: While many Classic Sesame fans disliked the whole concept:rolleyes: , I personally thought it was a great idea, and really helped Sesame St. get back on it's feet after the time of depression it was going through( the death's Henson and Hunt). There was also a new line of supporting charcthers I should say( I don't think they were ever intended to steal the spotlight of much of the beloved classic muppets like Grover, Count, Herry, etc.). There were also new settings on the street, like the Furry Arms Hotel or The Park(my favorite location), which gave the writers many creative storylines to come up with. In the end, I loved AtC and was sad to see it go.

R.I.P "Around the Corner":cry:

travellingpat

Reaction score
Um lets see....Im going to have to agree with you on the Martin Robinson one.....another is the hiring of Kevin Clash...he really reinvigorated the show with the promotion of Elmo from a background character to a star........but hes also one of the downfalls because he has since taken time away from some classic characters.....but lets not get into that....haha :smile:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
After I started watching the show again regular in the late 90s, I pretty was open to any change they introduced us to.

I didn't mind Hooper's Store being repainted blue, then orange, or the major set changes of 2002, the only thing I didn't care for was when in 2002 and until 2003 they painted the doors and window frames of 123 red, so I'm glad they went back to green in 2004.

muppet maniac

Reaction score
Changes I liked?

I'm not exactly sure, but to me, Sesame Street went from good---okay---fair to bad in Season 36 when it devoted a whole chunk of the show to healthy eating (I mean, what is this? "Nutrition Street"?)---and in Season 37 with the addition of Abby Cadabby.

Of course, that's just me.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The changes don't have to be in recent years to be liked. Things changed subtly in the course of the show. And then a few major ones here and there.

My other favorite Change?

Roscoe Orman- Now, I have no problems with Matt Robinson or Hal Miller, but to be sure, I think Roscoe is just the best Gordon we've had. He has a diginfied lovable silliness to him, and if you're working with Muppets, this is a must. He took the character to one of the most recognizable adult humans on SS, right up their with Bob. Plus I just love the music of his voice.

Wiseman

Reaction score
Many changes I have liked and not liked

I've been around since SS's beginnings and I can say that I like the addition of many fairy tale characters as regulars on the street. This sort of gives kids a chance to look at the characters differently than just in the books. I also like the fact that outside of the book in SS the 3 pigs and the wolf actually get along, showing that each one is just doing their job in the story. I also like seeing teens as regualr characters on the show, this gives little kids a chance to interact with many age groups, also because in today's society the parents are no longer watching the show with their children instead the child is being babysat by his big brother/sister it provides the older kid with a character he/she can relate to.
I don't like the fact that the Street stories are usually played out to the end in the beginning of the show. I preferred it back when the Street stories were broken up throughout the show and the letter and number segments were like the commercials on the regular shows. This also helped to make sense of the ending statement that the show was brought to you by the letters A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y and Z; and by the numbers 1 to infinity.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I'm not exactly sure, but to me, Sesame Street went from good---okay---fair to bad in Season 36 when it devoted a whole chunk of the show to healthy eating (I mean, what is this? "Nutrition Street"?)---and in Season 37 with the addition of Abby Cadabby.

Of course, that's just me.
But Season 36 was their best season so far!

SSLFan

Reaction score
Well, Season 37 get my vote as the best season. Season 38 is the worst.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Well, Season 37 get my vote as the best season. Season 38 is the worst.
Hmm, haven't seen all of Season 38 yet, but so far I thought it's been pretty good. Season 37 was terrible, in my opinion, though my vote for worst goes to Season 35. *Shrug*