Character Ages?

Redsonga

Reaction score
How old do you see the fraggles as?
I started thinking about this because I read the review on FR on this site and it says, quote :
"Gobo has more maturity about him though, and Mokey, the eldest and most sensitive of the group, brings that out of him.---- Consequently, Wembley and Boober---the youngest and most insecure---"
The part about Boober really surprises me:concern: .
I think there is no debate that Mokey is the oldest, that goes without saying, but something in Boobers' character always made me put him as 2nd oldest. I just always thought of him as just a short type of fraggle. So in my head the order, from oldest to youngest goes:
Mokey, Boober, Gobo, Red and then Wembley.

Unlike some fans I don't see them as little kids, just young adult playful fraggles. Since fraggles love to play their whole lifes I don't think age ever effects their child-like characters :excited: (untill they are very very old at least) . Although, fraggles also age slower than humans to boot, since Red is actually 28 human years old, but we are thinking in fraggle years....
To me Mokey is in her early to mid-20's, Boober is about 19 or so, Gobo is 17-18 (since when the series started it seems like he is just getting use to living on his own), Red is about 16 (I don't know why, it just seems to fit her moodyness), and Wembley to me is about 12-13 (Everytime I see him I can't help but think something happened to his parents and Gobos' uncle adopted him into the family to be sure he was watched out for:coy: ).
And those are my crazy ideas, what are your's?

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Yeah Boober's kinda weird that way. He could be one of the younger characters, but he obviously doesn't quite act his age. He's already a bit ahead of most young Fraggles due to his compulsive worrying and need to keep things neat.

Baby Gonzo

Reaction score
The Fraggles seem rather ageless to me. It's hard to say what age they are, considering even the adult Fraggles don't seem to act like adults by human standards. They're all rather young at heart. I think that the five main Fraggles are teenagers. What age exactly, I'm not sure.

RedPiggy

Reaction score
The hard thing I can't seem to get around is the lengths they go to make it a mystery. The humans obviously age normally, and MuppetWiki assumes the Gorgs age in the same time frame we do (they just live longer). The Gorgs go to great length to discuss ages, anniversaries, etc. Yet, when we see the flashback of Uncle Matt discovering the garden, the one thing that would have clarified how old Matt is ... Junior ... they keep Jr off screen. If Jr looked more like a kid (like halfway between Baby Jr and present-day Jr), then Fraggles can live VERY long (assuming Gorgs have the same maturational stages we do). However, if he looked much like he does now, then Matt can't be all that old.

I haven't seen the ep where Red celebrates her birthday. From what I've read about it ... it seems like fraggles CAN celebrate birthdays just for the sake of the party, not necessarily because it's actually her birthday ... at least, I can imagine a glory hog like Red trying to milk a party for all it's worth. :big_grin:

Redsonga

Reaction score
In Red's birthday episode it says I think, that they say she is 30 or so (my ages were just what I think they would be if they aged like us), so I would think Fraggle age slower than we do even if they go though all the life stages and stay childlike :excited: . At least that is how I see it...A need for fun is built into their whole lifes :smile:.
I still say Boober is just a short sub-breed of fraggle IMHO :3.

GSmiley2007

Reaction score
You know, to me...

Mokey is about early-mid 30s
Gobo is about early 20s
Boober is about 16
Red is about 14
Wembley is about 11

Pretty much based on their personalities, I would think. ;-)

bazooka_beak

Reaction score
Hmm.. I think Uncle Matt was so used to being in "Outer Space," coming back home was a frustrating experience for him because everything had changed. I think he even found "Outer Space" to be superior in some ways (I remember his line "This is nothing compared to a used car lot at sunset"). But I also think he was definitely aging and becoming a grumpy old Fraggle :wink:

I think the Gorgs age the slowest (Junior is at least a few hundred years old, but acts like a little kid with his maturity level and speech pattern [I'm not sure what age, though]), Fraggles second, and humans age the fastest.

Again, I always assumed the "Fab 5" were at least in their mid-teens, because they're already living alone and traveling unsupervised for days or weeks at a time. Though, they are still child-like and playful, but that's basically the persona of all Fraggles regardless of age :smile:

Redsonga

Reaction score
You know, to me...

Mokey is about early-mid 30s
Gobo is about early 20s
Boober is about 16
Red is about 14
Wembley is about 11

Pretty much based on their personalities, I would think. ;-)
Compared to humans most fraggles act like they are in grade school IMHO..Not that that is bad thing though :smile:. I think they can still act like that and be of mating age, at least that is how I look at in my fanfic...

RedPiggy

Reaction score
bazooka_beak said:
Hmm.. I think Uncle Matt was so used to being in "Outer Space," coming back home was a frustrating experience for him because everything had changed. I think he even found "Outer Space" to be superior in some ways (I remember his line "This is nothing compared to a used car lot at sunset"). But I also think he was definitely aging and becoming a grumpy old Fraggle
Maybe a Fraggle ages faster outside the Rock (though Marjory did say Outer Space was technically magic too ... we SC just couldn't sense it).

I think the Gorgs age the slowest (Junior is at least a few hundred years old, but acts like a little kid with his maturity level and speech pattern [I'm not sure what age, though]), Fraggles second, and humans age the fastest.
Jr would be 497 by 2008 (using the dates on muppetwiki as reference). I think Pa is roughly double that age. I hesitate to call Jr a child though. His speech makes him seem younger/more stupid. Also, Pa/Ma have issues, Pa especially. He wanted to hold onto his kingship, so he probably kept treating Jr as a child well beyond that actual lifestage. Pa let Jr do "grown up" things as PA saw fit, not because of any natural ability. Jr acting like a kid when he's not is believable if you're a sheltered person with little stimulation from the outside world. He might also be regressed due to how his parents treat him. I do agree somewhat that the Gorgs age the slowest (if nothing else then because of their ages) ... yet Pa acts old when young Matt shows up ... hard to tell during the baby Jr flashback.

Again, I always assumed the "Fab 5" were at least in their mid-teens, because they're already living alone and traveling unsupervised for days or weeks at a time. Though, they are still child-like and playful, but that's basically the persona of all Fraggles regardless of age :smile:
I tend to agree about them being in their teens at least by the time of the series. The only hang-up might be if they have definite life stages (though you would think the Doozers would have this more insect-like trait).

Redsonga

Reaction score
I think with Fraggles their kind is so long lived that they don't really have life stages anymore in the way we think of them.. I have many ideas of actually how everything works, but I would much rather write them in fanfic than here :3