Character Debuts

BEAR

Reaction score
Gonzo14 said:
I don't remember any specific character's debut, but wasn't Big Bird the first character ever seen on Sesame Street?
Yes siree. Big Bird, Oscar, Ernie, Bert, Kermit and Cookie Monster.

maxdrive

Reaction score
I was wondering. Is alan the same person who played Dr. smiley telly's dentist. they to me look alike.

Gonzo14

Reaction score
I'm not sure, but Santa Claus in Elmo Saves Christmas was also Doc Hopper in The Muppet Movie

SesameStreetGuy

Reaction score
Zoe I think made her debut in the Season 25 Premiere, Around the Corner. She pretty much wasn't introduced to anyone, she just appeared.

mikealan

Reaction score
Zoe made her debut appearance on Episode #3136 (1993,Season 25 Premiere). Rosita made her debut appearance on Episode #2888 (1991, Season 23). And Baby Bear made his debut appearance on Episode #2909 (1991, Season 23).

jeffkjoe

Reaction score
DerekJ said:
Dimly remember Maria's days as a new arrival from Puerto Rico, but can't recall whether I saw the actual debut.

Only debut I can recall was cracking up over Telly's "Today, we're going to meet the famous writer Flo Bear..."

Maria was introduced on the 1971 premiere, talking with Big Bird about the letter "M".

zanimum

Reaction score
Xerus said:
I thought that Around the Corner thing was cool. I don't know why they got rid of it. It seemed to have been replaced with Elmo's World.
Likely budget. They've had to shrink seasons as it is, so renting more studio for the Around the Corner set would be killer.

Elmo's World and Journey to Ernie, as well as Play with Me Sesame, on the other hand, are just green screen. They could even be done in the Sesame Workshop offices, if they felt like it.

MuppetDude

Reaction score
minor muppetz said:
I think they were both meant to appear in only one episode but ended up being regulars.
That's right. I found this out in an issue of SS Magazine (sometimes they would have a little note about the show, or the magazine, or about one of the performers on their first page, on the inside of the cover). There was some info on David Rudman, and Baby Bear was going to appear in only one show, but he proved so successful that he became a full-time character.