Character from MTI

Salmoto

Reaction score
I'm trying to find a name for a character from "Muppet Treasue Island" he was red with antennae, 6 arms, and a french accent. Gonzo stuck him to the side of the ship using starfish. I believe he could be a pre-inspired Pepem either him or the spider from MCC.

dr. gorry

Reaction score
yeah,i saw mcc yesterday on disnet channel.my brother thought he was pepe.(he watches lots of muppet stuff but isn't that great at remembering they're names.i dunno his name either.

Ryan

Reaction score
I BELIEVE his name was Jauques Roach, but I'm not sure. He was featured on The Jim Henson Hour and The Animal Show with Stinky and Jake, along with MTI , All performed brilliantly by Steve Whitmire.

BTW, he was a light brown, if I remember correctly. :smile:

BlueFrackle

Reaction score
Guys,

Yeah his name is Yves Saint le Roach.

He first appeared on The Jim Henson Hour and then in the movies and then Jim Hensons Animal Show.

He is performed by Steve, and always has had the same accent all the way through, Cool eh ?

See ya

dwmckim

Reaction score
Just to clarify a little further...

the character does indeed have two names (both having been mentioned here). When he debuted on JHH, he was known as Jacques Roach and then was changed to Yves St LaRoach when he was resurrected for The Animal Show.

Great character and i was very happy to see him make a cameo in MTI! Though my all time fave moments was his sparring with The Swedish Chef ("COOKIE ROACHIE!")

Jeffrey Gray

Reaction score
BTW, Pepe may not have showed up there, but the Sal Muppet shows up in MTI, during the "Shiver My Timbers" number. Did anybody else notice it?

Salmoto

Reaction score
Really? Wow, usually I'm good at spotting Muppet monkeys....

Drtooth

Reaction score
It was a Sal puppet in the opening. When I saw the movie in theaters, I said to myself...SAL!! I LOVE SAL!!! But that's a little after the Muppets Toight show appeared. I'd guess, that while filming, they came upon a sketch of a certain monkey and made the puppet as an extra, then they decided that he'd be a funny addition to the cast.

But that's what I've figured out, I doubt it's right!

Salmoto

Reaction score
Yeah, Sal Rocks! a bit of a transcript of Muppetfest stated that "Everyone fell in love" with this little monkey that they made. As I recall Muppet Treasure Island came out just before "Muppets Tonight," but it was almost at te same time. It made me think that MT was just a gimmick to promote MTI.

Anyway, I love Sal, 'cause I always wanted a Muppet Monkey to be in a central role. He is a perfect primate puppet with those loose floppy arms, and I love his "Tough yet Dedicated" attitude. I hope he stays around even though Brian Henson is searching for sunnier shores.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Me too! Uh Two? Eh forgt it. Other than him the only monkeys I know of in Muppets are Joey and Davy on Sesame, but they're long gone!