1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Characters who should have been babies

Discussion in 'Muppet Babies' started by minor muppetz, Aug 20, 2005.

1. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

are there any muppets who you think should have been babies on this show?

It seems like the producers of this show chose to avoid using characters with facial hair, so dr. teeth, floyd, lew zeland, and the swedish chef were not used. They also wisely avoided making characters who were really older than the normal muppets into babies (it was clever that Statler and Waldorf were old even when the muppets were babies).

Anyway, I think that janice (yes, i know she was in a last season episode), zoot, beauregard, sweetums, link hogthrob, annie sue pig and sam the eagle should have been on this show.

Janice could have had whatever personality she had in her appearance on the show. Zoot could have been a very quiet (and musically talented) baby. Beauregard could have been interested in building and/ or cleaning things. sam could have been a bossy baby (Piggy was bossy on the show) who appreciated american history at a young age, maybe he could have also been interested in reading. Sweetums obviosuly would have been a big baby, maybe more hyper than Animal but easier to understand (i have once read on the message board at yesterdayland.com that Sweetums was originally polanned to be a baby before it was decided to introduce skeeter on the show). Link could have been a baby who was often hungry or perhaps even always willing to try new things (even if he failed at many of them)Annie Sue could have been interested in nature or reading. hmmm, skeeter was created just for this show so that another female could be on there, but the muppets already had some female characters, even if many were not recgnizable. Anyway, I think that those characters should have at least made occassional appearances (like how bunsne, beaker, statler, waldorf, and bean did).

Also, Bean Bunny was added to the cast around the time of The Jim henson Hour. Maybe more JHH characters should have been part of the show, including Digit (he would have made a good buddy for bunsen, beaker, or baby scooter), leon, and lindberg.

what do you think?
    MuppetLuver2000 likes this.
  2. BEAR

BEAR Active Member

nice ideas. I think that Rowlf was meant to be the musical one on the show and thats it.
  3. minor muppetz

yeah, I guess you're right. Animal wasn't even as musical as he was in the various live action muppet productions. :halo:
  4. Vic Romano

Vic Romano Active Member

This may prove to be a helpful thread as an upcoming piece in my Weekly Creative Muppet Visuals Thread sometime in late November or even early 2006 possibly will be these and other characters illustrated as Muppet Babies... including Uncle Deadly and :attitude:
  5. BEAR

BEAR Active Member

I don't remember the exact reasons they added a Baby Animal, but one thing i would think of is that Animal was always such a popular character, far more than the rest of the band and they probably figured he would be a strong choice. Plus he is so cute as a baby.
  6. Kimp the Shrimp

Kimp the Shrimp Active Member

Baby Sweetums, Baby Sam Baby Ernie,Bert, Grover, Cookie Monster, Elmo

Baby BITBBH, Treelo, pip and pop
  7. Gonzo14

Gonzo14 Active Member

I thinks baby Sam the Eagle would be a good idea :attitude:
  8. Beauregard

Beauregard Well-Known Member

*colapses*

Man this I gotta see! We did have an old thread here with Lew, Chef, and Johnny as baies done by Jamie. Also I made a Baby Beau pic. Will provide a link to it sometime.
  9. BEAR

BEAR Active Member

Elmo is basically already a baby, so it wouldn't really change anything.
  10. Xerus

Xerus Active Member

I always thought so too. I can imagine a Baby Sam enforcing the rules of the nursery. Especially trying to get Baby Animal to behave, but with no luck.
  11. Kimp the Shrimp

Kimp the Shrimp Active Member

Baby Ernie & Bert wuld have been great
  12. BEAR

BEAR Active Member

I always see toys and things with baby versions of Bert, Ernie, Cookie, Bird, Oscar and I think Grover. Would be interesting to see a show made of it.
  13. ryhoyarbie

ryhoyarbie Active Member

They should have made a baby Zoot who was different than his adult character. He could have talked a lot, to the point to where the others wanted him to bequiet. He could even have been the only baby who never wanted to go to sleep because he was never tired. Although if they had Janice a little older than the rest of the babies like Rowlf and Kermit, then I guess Zoot could have been Janice's age since Zoot as an adult is described as a burnt out 50 year old musican.

ryan
  14. BEAR

BEAR Active Member

Haha! From my POV, all of the men of the Electric Mayhem (excepting Animal) appear to be old burnt out musicians.
  15. minor muppetz

If any fairly obscure characters (like Lew Zeland, Beauregard, or Thog) were used on the show, I wonder if they would be better known today?

After all, it seems like back in the 1970s and 1980s, Bunsen and beaker were just as important characters as Link Hogthrob, Beauregard, Pops, The Swedish Chef, and other of the same kind of characters. They appeared sparringly in the specials from the 1980s (they weren't in John Denver And The Muppets: Rocky Mountain Holiday, and aside from some brief clips, Bunsen didn't appear in The Muppets Go To The Movies, and both characters only had really small roles in the other specials. Also, they didn't have any lines in The Muppets take manhattan, althouhg I have read that they had a scene that was cut from the movie). However, after the deaths of Jim Henson and Richard Hunt (Beakers performer), they were used a lot more, having bigger parts in the movies and being quite major on Muppets Tonight. They hesitated to recast Rowlf and Scooter, who were both more important characters, and many of jerry Nelsons characters were not used much (even though Jerry nelson was still as major of a performer in the 1990s as he was in the 1970s and 1980s).
  16. BEAR

BEAR Active Member

Bunsen and Beaker both had great roles in The Muppet Movie. To me, they are still a bit of a step up from Lew or Beau or Chef and the like. It's true that they did seem to step forward into even bigger roles in films after Jim and Richards death (the collectors in Christmas Carol, the research/development doctors in Treasure Island, and great supporting roles in Muppets from Space, Muppet xmas Movie, and Oz), but so did Sam Eagle.
    Also, none of Jerry Nelson's characters were all that major. He only had a bunch of supporting character on the secondary and third level. His most major character was Floyd and he wasn't ever much of a class one character unless he was with the band.
  17. ReneeLouvier

ReneeLouvier Active Member

Old Thread I know. But I would just LOVE to see Baby Beauregard, and Baby Sam!! That would be so cool!!
  18. McFraggle

McFraggle Active Member

Baby Sam, Baby Beau, and a Baby Crazy Harry would have been cool. :crazy:
  19. TotallySpiesFan

TotallySpiesFan New Member

Baby Link Hogthrob and Baby Zoot could've been cool too.
  20. Sgt Floyd

Sgt Floyd Well-Known Member

I would love to see what floyd would look like as a baby. Its kinda hard to picture it. *tries to imagine floyd as a baby* Nope, drawing a blank