Charlie Chaplin fans.

Speed Tracer

Reaction score
Charlie Chaplin was seriously one of the greatest entertainers known to man, next to Jim Henson. I've actually made up a Muppet Show episode in my head where Chaplin was a guest star, and the entire episode was silent.

It was awesome.

:sympathy:

Anyway, is anyone else a fan? City Lights is one of my favorite movies of all-time. The Kid, Gold Rush, Modern Times, The Great Dictator... Sigh. All wonderful.

P

Princeton

Well, it's nice to know there's at least ONE teen out there (besides me) who appreciates old cinema. Never seen any Chaplin movies, same goes for L&H and the Marx Bros. But the 3 Stooges I love! But, back to the Marx Bros., I would love to start watching them, but I can't decide which one to start with. Even though I've never seen one, I know that almost every one is famous.

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
Hey Speed Tracer Dil has written and posted a Charlie Chaplin outline in fan fiction. It's very good but why don't you write and post your version as well?
Nothing wrong with having guest star double ups in outlines and I'm sure I and many others would enjoy seeing your idea.:smile:

C to the J

Reaction score
I did watch The Great Dictator once. Really good. Although it's a spoof of World War II, this one, like many Golden Age films, keeps it clean. My only gripe about movies today is that major studios seldom bother to bring up live-action films that are anything like Golden Age films, particularly those that avoid the use of sexual references and words much worse than h--l and d--n (I'm talking to you, Universal).

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Each of his films was a landmark, including a short he did with Mack Sennett called "Easy Street".

He also founded a little studio called United Artists. Wonder whatever became of that?

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
"Aut Caesar, aut nullus. Emperor of the world..."

Chaplin was not a perfect man, but he was very brave to confront just how evil the Nazis were. Most Hollywood WWII films concentrated on American patriotism and barely mentioned the Jewish people, if ever. Chaplin confronted the issue head on.

"I know talking will be the end of the Tramp, that's for sure. But at least he'll go out saying something I believe in."--from the movie Chaplin (1992)

snichols1973

Reaction score
"Aut Caesar, aut nullus. Emperor of the world..."

Chaplin was not a perfect man, but he was very brave to confront just how evil the Nazis were. Most Hollywood WWII films concentrated on American patriotism and barely mentioned the Jewish people, if ever. Chaplin confronted the issue head on.

"I know talking will be the end of the Tramp, that's for sure. But at least he'll go out saying something I believe in."--from the movie Chaplin (1992)
In his 1964 autobiography, Chaplin stated that he could not have made The Great Dictator if he had known about the true extent of the horrors of the Nazi concentration camps at the time.

Nevertheless. this speech featuring the Barber impersonating Hynkel is still just as meaningful and inspirational for today as it was back when the movie first came out:

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
As far as the grandfathers of comedy go, I'm more of a fan of Keaton, Lloyd, and Laurel & Hardy. Not that I don't appreciate Chaplin. Just a preference.

C to the J

Reaction score
Live-action comedy filmmakers hardly ever make wholesome masterpieces like these. Say, there was a Google Doodle celebrating his birthday that included a new video at one point. Anybody else caught that?