Chat?

beaker

Reaction score
I notice theres about 10 or 11 different people on at any given time. Just wondering if a chat option is on its way soon?

///beaker///

Wembley

Reaction score
Hey... Are there any plans for a chat system?

If not, I can run it on one of my servers... I can throw an IRC server up on one of my Linux boxes (storyteller.rickmiller.dyndns.org for example) and we can all use mIRC to chat... there would be no one else on, just us muppet central people so no need to worry about any other people, and there would be no bandwith issues for muppetcental.com! :big_grin:

Just me thoughts...

-Rick Miller
(Insert witty .sig here!)

Luke

Reaction score
I agree - i know Phil is looking into this and evaluating options but it'd be a good idea to get a chat solution in place pretty quick seeing as we now know when everyone else is online. Even if it was a temporary solution like a HTMl chat, IRC or just leaving the old delphi chat room open.

Wembley

Reaction score
??
Is this working right? It seems to have disappeared...?
-Rick

Never mind... it seems to have been combined into Beaker's chat message...

-Rick

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Rick, I merged the two discussions together since they were on the same topic (even had the same thread title already).

I really appreciate everybody's excitement about chat. We're considering all the options and we'll keep you informed of the progress that is made.

BlueFrackle

Reaction score
Rick,

If it is not alot of work on your behalf then i think opening a Chat Room is a good idea, Until they can get a Chat started on here !

I bet alot of people will come in !

See ya

Wembley

Reaction score
And now a Muppet News Flash...

Rick's computer crashed two days ago...
(Computers fall and hit announcer in the head)

Rick had to restore his system from tape...
(DDS3 tapes fall from the ceiling)

Work is in progress to get a chat room online.
(Red clicky teeth walk across the announcer's desk)

More information to follow...
I have the software set up and am working on a final tuning process. My question--- what do we want to see for features? Remember, this is my box I'm going to be running this on so I can attempt just about anything!

-Rick

Wembley

Reaction score
Okay...

A "pre-test" chat room is in the works. While not "officially" associated with MC, I have gone ahead and set up a chat system for people to use.

Right now, you will need an IRC program. For those of you on Windows, I would reccommend mIRC. I am not too sure about MacOS, so I can't reccommend a chat client.

When you are running mIRC, just type /SERVER gobo.rickmiller.dyndns.org and you will be connected to my network. Then do a /JOIN #muppets (the "#" is important!) and bingo, you're in!

Once on the channel, anything you type is echoed to everyone.

Some commands:
/QUIT Quits the network and signs off
/MSG <username> <text> sends a private message
/ME <text> indicates you doing something on the channel: for example:
/ME kicks the computer
would display
* Wembley kicks the computer

There is a eggdrop bot on the channel too, and her name is Nanny. /MSG her for information: /MSG Nanny Hello

NOTE: This is for more technical people, and it is subject to be up or down at any time! In short, it works for me right now, but if it breaks (even if it's you that breaks it), you get to keep both pieces.

I know that this is all very technical, and probably difficult to understand, but I am going to have a web page solution set up soon! Watch this space for more information.

-Rick
(Who is only now thinking that I probably should upgrade Gobo's Hard Drive...)

Luke

Reaction score
Very nice Rick - i just went there and had a great conversation with Nanny - i don't think anyone else had made it there yet ! It looks good though - i think we all have to plan to be there at a certain time for a big chat !

Actually i was just at a Vbulletin forum at www.diffusion4.com and they have PHPMYCHAT intergrated into their forum - you can see who's chatting, and also you have to be registered on the forum to be able to get into the chat. Thats a HTML chat but i hear you can also integrate IRC into Vbulletin so maybe theres possibilities there.

It's be nice to see something like all this built into the forum - sites like www.vbulletin.org post chat hack scripts all the time.

Wembley

Reaction score
Okay well, that's the acid test- someone from the "Real world" was able to connect to my system...

(I can imagine the opening to FR now, just with a long blue ethernet cable runnig through the window, across Doc's floor, through the hole and down through the tunnels to Gobo's room...)

I am presently working on a web-page linkup that is a one-click system, that will run in JAVA and make it so you don't need to be a computer geek to get in! I am going to work on that tomorrow (Sunday)...

-Rick