Checkers

Sweep

Reaction score
O.k I know this has nothing to do with puppets but I hope some of you will have some knowledge you can share with me. I'm looking for an easy way to make some giant (about 1 foot diameter) draughts/checkers pieces. Any ideas?

scarylarrywolf

Reaction score
They probably need to be pretty heavy, right? I was going to suggest some thick foam or styrofoam, but those are probably too light for what you're looking for.

zoetrope

Reaction score
Wood would probably be the cheapest thing to build them with. Then paint 'em.

Beebers

Reaction score
I have a handy felled tree in the yard you could use . . . some old giant cookies, a baking experiment gone awry . . . J/K.

Seriously, do you need any weight for these things? If you don't, buy a column of bolster foam, it comes in the diameter you need, and just slice it into sections with a fine-toothed hacksaw blade. You can then spray-paint it, stencil-paint it, whatever you like, put little designs on the faces of the pieces, anything at all. These won't stand up to high winds but then neither do regular checkers. If they're to be used indoors, or on a still day outside you'd be fine.

:cool:

officermom

Reaction score
If weight is not an issue, craft stores with a decent floral section carry "rounds" of styrofoam in just about that size.

Also, the decorative baking section in the craft store will also carry cardboard rounds for cake decorating. Pair two with a long strip of carboard in the circumference of the rounds and voila!

Lastly, if you REALLY need weight, poured "concrete" stepping stones (in a perfectly round shape) are also available in kits in the mosaic / tile section of many craft stores.

--Melissa

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Yeah, I would suggest rounds piece of styrofoam or polyfoam.

Sweep

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. That gives me some ideas to follow up.