Cheryl Henson

Super Scooter

Reaction score
I owe a great deal to Jim Henson. I consider him one of my inspirations. His Muppets helped develop my sense of humor, my imagination, and my love of all kinds of music. Sesame Street helped me learn and grow, and although I didn't see Fraggle Rock until I was almost an adult, it helped shape the way I look at life. Jim Henson is one of my heroes.

But, another inspiration of mine, perhaps a person we don't think of as much, is Jim's daughter, Cheryl Henson. While Jim Henson and his Muppets developed a love and appreciation for so many things in me, one thing they did not inspire in me, and it seems weird that they wouldn't, was a love of puppetry. As some of you know, I am a puppeteer, and would like to make it my career. I also build puppets. Now, maybe you're confused right now, but let me explain: Jim Henson and the Muppets didn't help build my love for puppetry, but Cheryl Henson did.

In 1994, when I was 7 years old, Cheryl, along with the Muppet Workshop, released a book entitled The Muppets Make Puppets. Now, I was homeschooled for the majority of my life, and my parents always emphasized the importance of art in life. My father, a painter and an art major, always encouraged me to pursue the arts. Although his current career doesn't really involve it, drawing and painting have always been his major passion. So, when The Muppets Make Puppets was released, my parents didn't hesitate to buy it for me as a gift. From there, I built some of my first puppets. I learned a great deal about preparing and putting on a show from that book, possibly more than any other book I've read since then. Not only did I learn about the Muppet-style puppet, but the book tought me about marionettes and rod puppets, and even briefly discusses the history of puppets. I've learned to appreciate all forms of puppetry from this book.

Puppetry has become a major part of my life. It's what I hope to do with my future, and for this, I'd like to say thank you, Cheryl Henson. Without you, I most likely wouldn't be who I am today.

Vic Romano

Reaction score
Nice tribute, man! I always thought it was so cool that Jim's kids really got involved in the Muppets and be passionate about it too.

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Thanks. :smile: I've always liked that the Henson kids got so involved in everything, too. That's actually a quote from Lisa Henson in the book It's Not Easy Bein' Green. She talks about how, for Jim, family and work and a whole bunch of other stuff all belonged together. I think that's probably why they have gotten so involved is because they always have been so involved in the Muppets and Jim's work. I like that. It's nice.

Anyway, I hope one day Ms. Henson is able to read my first post in this thread, as I really would like to thank her. Perhaps one day I'll be able to in person.

Fragglemuppet

Reaction score
Well good luck with that Justin, and remember, if you do meet her, be sure not to forget about us little people!
:big_grin: Just kidding. But I deffinately agree that it is, from both a business, but more importantly personal point of view, such a wonderfulawesome and beautiful thing that they were involved with the muppets their whole lives. How wonderful that Jim was their father, able to get them to work on Sesame Street, which doubtless instilled the life-long interest in them. Of course it was strengthened by the rest of the muppets and puppets as they grew older, but SS was certainly a good firm foundation.

zns

Reaction score
I myself have tremendous admiration for Cheryl Henson as well. She is so terrific at keeping her fathers vision and legacy alive. Of all the kids that Jim had, she is the one I admire the most. God bless her.