Chess and chess computers

Ziffel

Reaction score
I love the game of chess. I'm curious how many other chess fans there are here. My dad taught me to play when I was 8. I love playing against chess computers, too. Way back around 1980 I got a Fidelity Chess Computer and the Video Chess cartridge for the classic Atari 2600 system. Still have (and play) both. I also have about five chess games for my Sony Playstation. And one chess computer program. And there's a website online that has a chess program that plays superb chess and yet makes each move in a few seconds. I also enjoy playing computer vs. computer (And it's better on the nervous system when it's not ME that's playing!). Interestingly, the Atari and Fidelity chess games take about 24 hours to move on average at the top level. And I played both of them against the web program that takes a few seconds to move. The web program demolished both of them. Amazing the technology of today. (Of course, back in the late 70's just having a chess program that could understand how to play the game AND play reasonably challenging was considered quite a feat).
Chess is my favorite strategy game but I also enjoy other ones like Backgammon, Othello (a.k.a. Reversi), and especially Checkers.

JaniceFerSure

Reaction score
Ziffel said:
I love the game of chess. I'm curious how many other chess fans there are here. My dad taught me to play when I was 8. I love playing against chess computers, too. Way back around 1980 I got a Fidelity Chess Computer and the Video Chess cartridge for the classic Atari 2600 system. Still have (and play) both. I also have about five chess games for my Sony Playstation. And one chess computer program. And there's a website online that has a chess program that plays superb chess and yet makes each move in a few seconds. I also enjoy playing computer vs. computer (And it's better on the nervous system when it's not ME that's playing!). Interestingly, the Atari and Fidelity chess games take about 24 hours to move on average at the top level. And I played both of them against the web program that takes a few seconds to move. The web program demolished both of them. Amazing the technology of today. (Of course, back in the late 70's just having a chess program that could understand how to play the game AND play reasonably challenging was considered quite a feat).
Chess is my favorite strategy game but I also enjoy other ones like Backgammon, Othello (a.k.a. Reversi), and especially Checkers.
I had a very nice comp. 3-D chess game for my PC a long time ago.I love backgammon,Go(Othello),Stratego,Yahtzee,most solitare games & mah jong.

luvtosr

Reaction score
I looooove chess but I'm not very good. I've only ever won about three times in my life and it was always because the other person made some ghastly mistake, not because I played well. My brother on the other handisd very mathematically minded and was always top of the chess club.

Apparently I'm a good opponent to have though becasue I have no strategy and only plan about one move ahead. My dad says it makes me comlpletely unpredictable and so he has to think a lot harder becasue he knows I'm not following a normal play.

Another good thing is I know I'm more than likely going to lose so it makes me a perfect loser, I really don't mind at all, which is odd becasue in any other game I'm really competitive.

I tried playing chess against our old Amstrad program when I was about ten, it kept telling me I was trying to make illegal moves, I don't know why though.