Childhood Muppet Memories

Reaction score
Hi there. :smile:

I don't know about you all, but the muppets were always a big part of my childhood, many of my memories invovle them. Being born in 1983, I grew up mostly with just reruns but that was good enough for me. :smile: Anyway for those of us who have memories of the muppets from our childhood, I thought it might be fun to share. :wink:

Anyone want to give it a go?

JaniceFerSure

Reaction score
Welcome Cookie Monster

First of all,welcome to Muppet Central,'ello mate. I remember Sesame Street,almost everything having to do with Muppets,since the early 70s(yup I'm old,lol). I am so happy that I've found MC,to share my Muppet memories and ideas,opinions,with others from around the USA and the globe.Hope you enjoy your stay here at MC.Glad you've made it.

::stick_out_tongue:ulling you up a chair & pouring you some tea::

rexcrk

Reaction score
I watched Sesame Street when I was younger (I'm sure EVERYONE did :wink: ) But being born in '88, I don't have TOO many memories. I had a Muppet Sing-a-Long tape ("It's Not Easy Bein' Green") and I loved Muppet Christmas Carol. Come to think of it, that's about it. Oh yeah, I loved Muppet Babies too :smile: In fact, I didn't know who many of the obscure characters were like Dr. Teeth, Crazy Harry, etc. until a couple years ago. I'm surprised I'm such a big fan as I am today :halo:

Amazing Mumford

Reaction score
Cookie Monster said:
Anyway for those of us who have memories of the muppets from our childhood, I thought it might be fun to share. :wink:

Anyone want to give it a go?
Memories? Heck, the Muppets WERE my childhood. I watched Sesame, TMS, and Fraggle Rock religiously--but my favorite programs were the 80s Henson specials (i.e. Muppet Family Christmas and A Celebration of 30 Years). Those specials were events at our house.

Of course, I had tons of Muppet toys too--everything from board games to Shrinky Dinks to that awful "Chaos at the Carnival" NES game (it was so boring, yet I played it a lot--LOL!!). My favorite toys though were the Fisher Price plushes (poor Scooter must have had his arms sewn back together dozens of times by my grandma).

I still remember seeing The Muppets Take Manhattan in theaters and being blown away when the Muppet Babies made their appearance. I recall reading Kermit's Garden of Verses and the Star Wars parody in Muppet Magazines over and over. I remember eating Croonchy Stars for breakfast.

Yeah, the Muppets provided me with tons of childhood memories. Sigh, those were the days...

Xerus

Reaction score
I remember the Muppet Show first aired when I was 6 years old. At first I thought this show was a late night Sesame Street when I saw Kermit on it. But when I saw characters like Miss. Piggy, Fozzie Bear, and Gonzo, I knew this was something different. The first episode I saw was when Kermit was being driven crazy by a wind up robot version of himself. And that was my very first taste of the Muppet Show. :smile:

AbbessBryony

Reaction score
I was born in '84, which means that I don't have that many childhood Muppet memories. I watched Sesame Street, though, and also Muppet Babies when they were aired on Nickelodeon and Dog City. I've seen Muppets Tonight and my favorite episode is the Garth Brooks one, mostly because I listen to country music :smirk:.

Muppet Crypts

Reaction score
I REMEBER THE TIME THEY HAD THAT BODY CHANGING MACHINE THAT CHANGED THE PARTS OF THE MUPPETS
:sympathy: :sympathy: :concern:

Moreta

Reaction score
My childhood years were filled with the muppets. We watched TMS together as a family, went to my grandparents' to see FR on HBO, watched SS all the time... I remember going to the Detroit Institute of Arts to see a travelling exhibit on puppetry and being enthralled by the Kermit that they still have there.

I'll never forget how overjoyed I was my freshman year of high school when they briefly put TMS in reruns. I taped every episode and had alarms set to make sure I didn't miss the show. One group of my friends used 'Movin' Right Along' as a sort of unofficial theme song for years.

Now I have small children and the muppets are moving right along to the next generation. I don't think they'll ever have the same depth of involvement in everything Henson that I did, but I'll do what I can. :smile: