Christmas: Are they shoving it down our throats too early?

mr3urious

Reaction score
Here's another bad Christmas special I'd like to talk about, and that is Felix the Cat Saves Christmas. The story is just mediocre at best, but the slow pacing and the grating voices that all sound like the characters are from an episode of Dora the Explorer make it really unbearable.

Oh, and there's this drawn-out musical number around the middle of the even more irritating Snow Kids doing some EXTREEEEEEEEME snowboarding that doesn't further the plot at all and is just there to pander to that EXTREEEEEEEEME crowd.

Drtooth

Reaction score
They're totally rushing Christmas out this year to get Valentines and Easter freaking stuff out. Easter's like the beginning of April! No wonder why they were shoving it down our throats this year, they were rushing to get us to..eh... pass it.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I thought you said the problem this year was some kind of import/export strike that was about to happen?

Anyshoe, yeah, this year, they've already completely stopped playing Christmas music on the radio, that they started playing the day before Thanksgiving.

But they always bring V-Day stuff out as soon as Christmas ends, because that's pretty much the next big commercially secular holiday to look forward to (New Year's not so much).

Twisted Tails

Reaction score
I'm very proud to be a fan of the first two Home Alone's because they're so of my generation. My father thinks they're utterly useless movies, lol. I'm always trying to explain to him that they're funny, and also have a lot of heart. :smile:
I definitely agree with you right there. After watching Home Alone, I gave it a try to watch the sequel and I adored it with all my heart. Tbqh, I was a 90s kid and boy there were some really good movies out there and that includes the sequel of the Home Alone series. I have watched Home Alone before on cable TV but ugh... I was very disappointed that they did not show Home Alone 2.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I thought you said the problem this year was some kind of import/export strike that was about to happen?

Anyshoe, yeah, this year, they've already completely stopped playing Christmas music on the radio, that they started playing the day before Thanksgiving.

But they always bring V-Day stuff out as soon as Christmas ends, because that's pretty much the next big commercially secular holiday to look forward to (New Year's not so much).
The thing is, I rarely saw that happen before. Maybe at just one odd grocery store or something, and it would just be like a couple bags of conversation hearts. But never at a huge capacity like this where the entire product line has been up. And Easter too. January was the earliest I've seen that, and even then it's when its in March.

As for the Strike... yeah, I don't know what happened with that one. Either things were settled or the news media couldn't find a way to spin it to sound like it's the end of the world, or that it's off election season and they have no desire to find a reason to blame the president for it.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I know this is the our Christmas thread, but this is also sort of our go-to thread for discussing when certainly holidays are being forced upon us far earlier than before they actually happen . . . and it's already happening.

We still have roughly a week left of March, we haven't even had Easter or Memorial Day yet . . . and already, they're advertising the 4th of July . . . which is still four months away.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Eh... I don't know what to tell you on that one. Weird's weird and all, but that's just... I mean...

Unless you're a fireworks superstore outlet that's in a state where it's legal to sell them marketing to those who live in states where it's not, I don't see the point of rushing to that specific holiday. Christmas, Valentines Day, Easter... all pretty much force you to buy things. All I can think of are cheap little flags, shirts with flag colors and/or USA written on them, and aforementioned not legal in my state (dunno about yours), but perfectly legal the state an hour drive from mine. Maybe like red, white, and blue snackfoods?

Nothing really major to sell there.

Oh, and in my case, totally not just the fourth of July for people in my neighborhood to have the excuse to buy and set off illegal fireworks.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Already the Sounds of the Season Music Choice channel is playing 24-hour Christmas music. Really, I mean, usually inbetween holidays, they default to what they call "The Pulse," which is techno music: trip-hop, nu jazz, house, that sort of thing, but it's like this year they went straight from Halooween music into Christmas music.

But, always nice to see this little gem make rounds on Facebook this time every year:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Well sorry, Gobbles, but Thanksgiving only has like two songs. :wink: