Christmas Cheer

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
So... For some strange reason, I think I've hit my personal record high for holiday spirit this year. And... I guess it was a couple weeks ago now that I was SO hyped up on the season to be jolly that I decided I just HAD to write a brand new holiday one-shot this year!

...Well... It ain't gonna be a one-shot.

It's gonna be a five shot.

And hopefully, I can write the remaining four shots by Christmas day... But if not, I reserve the right to extend this the full length of Hanukkah, if not all the way to New Year's. ...Of... 2010. <ahem> :coy:

No seriously, this hopefully won't take too long. But bear with me. This is still the Toga talking. Er, typing. WHATEVER! No, not Gonzo. ...Actually, YES Gonzo! ...How 'bout I just start the story, eh?

Here's a bit of Christmas Cheer. HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
SQUEEL! You haven't even posted it yet and I'm already excited! :excited:

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
Snowflakes

Gonzo grinned hugely as he hauled a great big box out of the closet, singing, “DECK the halls with BOUGHS of holly!”

FA LA LA LA LA LA! LA LA, LA, LA!” Animal sang loudly, gladly taking the box from the Whatever. He found his chin pressed up against the side of the box, and he stared up at the ceiling.

Gonzo pulled out another, smaller box. “TIS the season TO be jolly!”

FA LA LA LA LA! LA LA, LA, LA!”

The weirdo fairly bounced as he guided Animal back down the hallway. “DON we now our gay apparel!”

FA LA LA! LA LA LA! LA! LA! LA!”

TROLL the ancient Yuletide carol.”

FA LA LA LA LA! LA LA LA—WHAA!” Animal found himself launched backwards under the weight of the heavy box, thumping and thudding as he tumbled down the stairs. He landed with a CRASH and slowly slid out from under the box, perhaps a little flatter than usual. “Ow…” he said, dizzily sitting up.

Gonzo’s eyelids flew up as he stared at the dizzy drummer. “…Whoa!” He jumped onto the railing and slid down, bouncing off with a laugh and landing next to Animal. He set down his own box. “You okay, buddy? That was a terrific fall!”

Animal assessed himself. “Fall down go boom!” he explained.

They looked up at the sound of an explosion across the room, and they both laughed.

“C’mon, let’s get these decorations outside!” Gonzo said excitedly as he leaped to his feet and held a hand out to help Animal up. “SEE the blazing Yule before us!”

FA LA LA LA LA! LA LA, LA, LA!” They hefted their respective boxes and continued on their way out of the Muppet Boarding House.

STRIKE the harp and join the chorus!”

FA LA LA LA LA! LA LA, LA, LA!”

“FOLLOW me in MERRY measure!”

“FA LA LA! LA LA LA! LA! LA! LA!”

“While I tell of Yuletide treasure…”

“FA LA LA LA LA! LA LA LA, LA!”

High up on the ladder, Clifford looked down from his task of lining the windows and shutters with Christmas lights. “Aw, man,” he moaned, seeing two more boxes emerge from the house. “Gonzo, how many more decorations does this house need?”

“INFINITE!” Gonzo declared. “It’s the best time of the YEAR! We’ve gotta make the MOST of it!” He laughed as he opened the boxes.

Clifford slowly looked over the outside of the house. The roof and corners were already lined with lights, plus the wreaths on every door and window, the toy soldiers and candy canes lining the sidewalk, driveway, and flowerbeds, and of course the light-up trees and reindeer on one side of the house with what looked to be the start of an elaborate twelve-days-of-Christmas display on the other. “…Infinite, alright,” he said. “Just how much more is the most?”

“Aw, c’mon, Clifford,” Rizzo said, taking the string of lights from Clifford’s hand and continuing to tack them up, safely perched inside the window. “As long as he doesn’t set the house on fire again d’is year, do ya really have the heart to stop him?”

“Nope,” Clifford said. “Just don’t show me this month’s electric bill.”

“Si, h’and get blackout curtains for de neighbors, hokay,” Pepe said, just above them on the roof, waiting with tie-wraps for something that was, presumably, in one of the boxes below. “Is going to be like daylight when we turn all d’ese lights on.”

Clifford chuckled. “Rudolph won’t need his nose to help Santa find this house.”

“SANTA!” Animal came bolting up the ladder with a light-up plastic Santa Claus over his shoulder, knocking Clifford off the ladder as he climbed. “SANTA SANTA SANTA!”

Clifford muttered as he hung by his fingertips from the window ledge and tried to get his feet back on a rung once the drummer had passed. “Riz, gimme a hand, would ya?”

“SANTA!” Animal brought the plastic Santa across the roof to the chimney. “SANTA! SANTA!” He leaned closer to the Santa’s face. “Bring me pre-sents!” he said, grinning.

“Is a plastic Santa, Animals. He’s not real,” Pepe said as he marched across the roof with the tie-wraps.

“SANTA REAL!” Animal shouted at the king prawn.

“Si, si,” Pepe muttered as he began fastening the plastic Santa to the chimney. “But dis is a plastic Santa, hokay. De real Santa whould be much bigger d’an dis one. Bigger d’an, ah…” He glanced around for a point of reference. “De chimney.”

Animal looked at the chimney. He climbed up the side and looked down into it. He looked at Pepe. “Santa bigger than chimney?”

Pepe looked at him. “Si! He’s a big fat man. Big belly.” He gestured with two of his hands. “De, ah… bowl full of jellies. Si. Now help me tie dis to de roof, Animals.”

Animal looked down the chimney and tilted his head to one side. Then he slid back down to the roof and helped fasten the plastic Santa to the chimney. “Santa real,” he said quietly.

Dis Santa is not real, Animals,” Pepe said, losing patience. “Dis Santa Claus, is plastic. He won’t go anywhere on Christmas Eves, hokay.”

Animal held the plastic Santa in place as Pepe fastened the upper portion to the chimney. He thought about Christmas Eve. “…Santa sleigh!” he said. “WHOOOLE world!”

Pepe sighed. “Si. Santa h’and his reindeers take his sleigh around de whole entire worlds, h’and stop h’at every single house, h’and he goes down de chimney, which is usually smaller d’an he is, h’and he drops off all de presents, h’and goes back up de chimneys, at every single house, all in one night.” He turned to walk back towards the ladder.

Animal stood still for a moment. He looked at the plastic Santa Claus tied to the roof. “…Shriiiiiimp?” He scampered after the king prawn.

“King prawn,” Pepe muttered. He stopped and turned around with a sigh. “What, Animals?”

Animal quietly looked at the king prawn. “…Santa real?” he asked.

“Dios mio, we just went over dis!” Pepe snapped, and he pointed at the plastic Santa. “He’s fake, hokay! Unbelievable…” He climbed down the ladder.

Animal stood on the roof, alone with the plastic Santa Claus tied to the chimney. He quietly looked at the light-up incarnation of the jolly old fellow. He was a fat little man, with a cheerful smile and a twinkle in his eye—the eye that wasn’t winking. His bright red suit had fuzzy white lining and big gold buttons, with a big black belt around his jacket. He had a long white beard, and a red hat with a white fuzzy ball at the end.

“…Santa not real?” Animal asked. “Santa fake?” He looked up at the sky. “…SANTA?”

*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*​

Later that day, the Electric Mayhem gathered for a jam session in the bedroom that Dr. Teeth, Floyd, Zoot, and Animal shared. (Janice slept in the next room, on the other side of the wall next to Floyd’s bed. There was, however, a small hole in the wall that sometimes had a curtain over it for the sake of Janice’s roommates, Hilda and Camilla. This time of year, some mistletoe hung in that hole in the wall.)

Dr. Teeth, Floyd, and Janice shared the vocals. The good doctor was jamming on the ivories, the guitarists were grooving, and Zoot was wailing away on his saxophone. Animal was holding one drumstick, keeping a simple, steady beat on the snare drum.

Jolly Ol’ St. Nicholas, lean your ear this way!” Dr. Teeth sang.

Don’t you tell a single soul, what I’m goin’ to say!” Floyd sang.

Janice took the next line. “Christmas Eve is coming soon, now you dear old man!”

Janice and Floyd harmonized. “Whisper what you’ll bring for me—Tell me if you can!”

Animal sighed, dropped the drumstick, and stood up, sulking as he trudged out the door into the hallway.

“Whoa—“

“Hold it!”

The jam session came to a screeching halt as the musicians stared, slack-jawed, at the door through which their drummer had just ankled.

Ironically enough, Zoot was the first to speak.

“…Di’ that just happen?”

Floyd blinked. “…He left,” he said, staring at the door.

“Like, did someone walk by with Christmas cookies?” Janice asked. “Or like, any other kind of food?”

“Negative—or, my eyes and nose deceive me,” Dr. Teeth said. “But he wasn’t runnin’ fast enough for the pursuit of food.”

“He wasn’t runnin’ at all,” Floyd said. He blinked again, put his guitar down, and rushed to the door to poke his head into the hallway.

Animal had not gone far, on account of his slow steps as he dragged his feet down the hallway, his head and arms drooping low.

“…Animal!” Floyd looped an arm around the drummer’s shoulders. “Where y’goin’, Animal?”

Animal sighed.

“Let’s go back in,” Floyd said, guiding the drummer back to the door. “C’mon. We’ll play one of your favorites!”

Bassist and drummer returned to the room, and the Electric Mayhem watched as Animal trudged back to his place behind his drums and sat with a heavy sigh.

“Looks like someone needs some re-enthusin’ and re-infusin’ of Christmas cheer,” Dr. Teeth observed, his fingers quietly tickling the ivories again.

Floyd picked up his guitar and sat down next to the drumset—endangering his hearing, he knew, if Animal’s dreary mood vanished. Cradling his guitar in his arms, his began to strum the strings and softly started to sing. “Come… they told me, pa-rum-pum-pum-pum…”

Janice nodded and sat next to Floyd—a little bit farther from the drumset—cradling her guitar as well as she took the next line. “A new born King to see, pa-rum-pum-pum-pum…”

Animal picked his head up just enough to look at the two harmonizing guitarists.

“Our finest gifts we bring, pa-rum-pum-pum-pum…
To lay before the King, pa-rum-pum-pum-pum,
Rum-pum-pum-pum, rum-pum-pum-pum…
So… to honor Him, pa-rum-pum-pum-pum…
When we come…”

Zoot nodded and knelt down by Janice and Floyd, lifting his saxophone to his lips for some quiet accompaniment.

“Little Baby, pa-rum-pum-pum-pum…”

Dr. Teeth softly, harmoniously added his own vocals to those of his fellow bandmates. “I am a poor boy too, pa-rum-pum-pum-pum…”

“I have no gift to bring, pa-rum-pum-pum-pum…
That’s fit to give our King, pa-rum-pum-pum-pum,
Rum-pum-pum-pum, Rum-pum-pum-pum…
Shall… I play for you? Pa-rum-pum-pum-pum…
On my drum…”

Animal hesitantly picked up a single drumstick and quietly tapped a steady beat on the cymbal. The other band members looked at him, watching him hopefully as they continued the song.

Mary nodded, pa-rum-pum-pum-pum,” Janice sang.

Floyd nodded, and the two of them harmonized again. “The ox and lamb kept time, pa-rum-pum-pum-pum…”

I played my drum for you, pa-rum-pum-pum-pum,” Dr. Teeth sang, noting to himself the irony of himself playing a keyboard while singing that line, and then he and the guitarists sang together.

“I played my best for Him, pa-rum-pum,
Rum-pum-pum-pum, rum-pum-pum-pum…”

“Rum, bum, bum,” Animal mumbled quietly.

Floyd eagerly looked up at the drummer. “Then… he smiled at me… pa-rum-pum-pum-pum,” he sang softly. “Me and my drum…”

“Me ‘n’ my drum,” Animal mumbled under his breath.

The song quietly came to its end, and the musicians all watched Animal as his drumstick ceased to tap the cymbal.

Animal stared at his drums for a moment, and then slowly lifted his head to look at his bandmates with big, sad eyes.

They sighed heavily.

Animal dropped his drumstick and stood up to trudge towards the door.

“Animal—“ Floyd said quickly, and the drummer stopped, but did not turn around. “…Why don’t you just… tell us what happened?”

Animal very sadly turned to look at him. “…Santa REAL?” he asked.

“Yeah, man! Of course he is!”

“Absotively posilutely!”

“Fer sure!”

“Yeah,” Zoot added. “…He owes me a whistle.”

The Electric Mayhem paused for a moment to look at Zoot and assess this comment.

Floyd turned to Animal. “What would make you think the jolly old man ain’t real?” he asked.

Animal shrugged. “Shrimp…”

Floyd flew forward, instantly angry. “What’d he say?” he demanded.

Animal was looking at the floor. “…Santa fake…”

Floyd charged at the door.

Janice caught him by the arm, pulling him back into the room. “Oh, like honey, don’t hurt him. It’s Christmas time!” She kissed his cheek.

“…I ain’t gonna hurt him,” Floyd said. “Just gonna do some… recruitin’.” He gave a blink and a nod, and pulled his main squeeze a little closer. “Don’t leave Animal alone,” he whispered. He released her and stepped out into the hall.

*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*​

“Absolutely not,” Kermit said, staring at the odd contraption before him.

“But Kermit—“

No, Gonzo.”

Please? It’s the holidays, Kermit. What’s Christmas without snow?” Gonzo pleaded.

Kermit stared at him. “Christmas in Los Angeles,” he replied. “Which is exactly where we are.”

“Oh, but Mr. Kermit, we are also in Hollywood,” Bunsen pointed out.

“Me moo,” Beaker added, nodding.

Kermit scrunched his face. “And what does that have to do with it?”

“Well—everything’s fake,” Bunsen said flatly.

“Not the climate,” Kermit said. “Forget it, guys. We are not covering the house and yard with fake snow!”

“But why not?” Gonzo asked.

“I assure you, Mr. Kermit, the Muppet Labs White Christmas Maker is perfectly safe—“

“Bunsen, you say that about all of your inventions,” Kermit countered.

“I bet all the other big stars will have a white Christmas,” Gonzo said.

“Oh, sheesh,” Kermit sighed.

“I betcha Uma will,” Gonzo went on. “I’m pretty sure Jack Black will. And Tom Hanks, and Jim Carrey…”

“Mm-hm.” Kermit nodded, looking remarkably unimpressed.

“And Britney—Well, if she’s home—“

“They’re all gonna be using fake snow, huh?” Kermit asked with obvious skepticism.

“We can’t be left out, Kermit! We’ve gotta keep up with the times!” Gonzo insisted.

“Because everyone else is doing it,” Kermit said.

“Exactly!”

“And if everyone else jumped off a bridge—Oh wait—“

“I would jump first!” Gonzo said proudly.

“Sheesh,” Kermit sighed. “Never mind…” He turned and walked away, shaking his head.

Bunsen and Beaker looked at each other, and then looked at Gonzo. “…Um…” Bunsen said, “…Was that… ‘Never mind’ to the bridge-jumping, or to vetoing the fake snow?”

Gonzo grinned and started to sing. “Oh, the weather outside is frightful…”

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Animal: Need more! ! ! Post more! ! !
Please? *Nudges plate of Christmas cookies to Lisa in hopes of getting more story.

AnimatedC9000

Reaction score
Lisa... that was epic. O_O

No, seriously, that chapter was GOOD! We want to see an update in the near future!

theprawncracker

Reaction score
HAHAHAHA! ! ! Oh my gosh, the Queen is BACK! Now... if only we could get 'er to stay back! :sing:

Gonzo is perfect, Animal is wonderful, Pepe is spectacular, Floyd is awesome, Dr. Teeth is most prevalent, Bunsen was hysterical, and Kermit was great.

And everything else in between was alright too. :wink: Wonderful song choices--all of 'em! I absolutely canNOT wait to read more! :big_grin: ...So hop to it!

Libba Yuki

Reaction score
Awesome, a new Christmas fic! It's so cute!

Poor Animal, and adorable Gonzo.

We can’t be left out, Kermit! We’ve gotta keep up with the times!” Gonzo insisted.

“Because everyone else is doing it,” Kermit said.

“Exactly!”

“And if everyone else jumped off a bridge—Oh wait—“

“I would jump first!” Gonzo said proudly.

“Sheesh,” Kermit sighed. “Never mind…”
LOL Poor choice of words there Kermit, I love it!

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
Angels

Feliz Navidad,” Pepe sang under his breath as he wrapped garland around a post of the bunk bed he, for some reason, shared with Pops. He wondered if he would be allowed to cross the duct tape in the middle of the room to decorate Scooter’s side, too. “Feliz Navidad… Feliz Navidad, la da de da de da de da de dum…” He paused and gave the garland a thoughtful look. “…I should learn de rest of de words to dat song,” he mumbled.

There you are!”

“Who?” Pepe said quickly, jumping as he dropped the garland and turned to face the door.

“You!” Rizzo said, marching into the room. “What did you say to him?”

“Say to who?” Pepe said. “H’and get on dis side of de duck tape, hokay. Scooper will have a fits.”

“Whatevah,” Rizzo said, scurrying over to Pepe’s side. “Now what did you say to Animal?”

“I don’t know. H’about what?” Pepe said, picking the garland back up. “Help me decorate dis, hokay.”

You told him d’at Santa Claus was fake!” Rizzo said accusingly. He folded his arms over his chest, making no move to assist with the garland.

Whaaat?” Pepe turned to stare at him.

“Dat’s what he said!” Rizzo declared. “Da shrimp told him dat Santa’s fake, an’ now he’s mopin’ all around da house. He doesn’t even wanna play his drums.”

“Oh, good. We’ll save monies on aspirins,” Pepe said, turning once more to the post with the garland in three of his hands.

Pepe!”

What? What? What do jou want me to do?” Pepe asked, exasperated, as he turned around to face the rat again.

Why would you tell Animal dat Santa’s fake?” Rizzo demanded.

“I didn’t!” Pepe insisted, shrugging. “I said de plastic Santas is fake.”

“He wouldn’t be dis upset about da plastic Santa bein’ fake, Pepe,” Rizzo said. “Look, whatevah ya told him, you made him dis upset!”

“Is not my problems, hokay,” Pepe said, turning again to try to decorate the bunk bed.

Rizzo shook his head. “D’ere goes Mistah Humbug, d’ere goes Mistah Grim!” he sang sharply.

Pepe sighed.

If dey gave a prize for bein’ mean, da winner would be—YOU, Pepe!” Rizzo poked the king prawn’s back, grabbed an arm, and turned him around. “You completely ruined Animal’s holiday spirit! Ya gotta fix dis, Pepe.”

I have to fix dis?”

“Yes, you have ta fix dis! You made da mess. You clean it up!”

Pepe sighed. “…Completely ruined his Christmas cheer, huh?”

Completely.”

“Alright, alright, I’ll talk to him!” Pepe shook his head. “Just help me decorate dis dumb bed, hokay.”

After you talk to Animal,” Rizzo said firmly.

Pepe looked at him. “Dios mio jou are pushy, hokay.”

*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*​

Pepe found Animal in the kitchen, nibbling half-heartedly at a candy cane while Zoot sat nearby.

“Animals!” Pepe said, hurrying to sit in the chair next to him. “I, uh… I heard jou were upset, hokay.”

Animal glumly looked at him.

“So h’I whanted to esplain what I meant about—about de Santa Claus, hokay.”

“San-ta,” Animal sighed, looking down at the table.

“Si, Santa,” Pepe said. “Animals, listen. When I said dat Santa was fake, h’I wasn’t talking about de real Santa Claus! I was talking h’about de plastic Santa, hokay. De plastic Santa is fake. But de real Santa is… Well, he—he’s real!”

Animal looked up, hopeful. “…Santa REAL?”

“Si, si. Santa is real,” Pepe said.

Animal looked excited. “Santa SMALLER than chimney!”

Pepe hesitated. “…Ah… well…”

Animal looked at him. “…Santa bigger than chimney?” he asked sadly.

Pepe shifted his weight. “Ah—He’s a big fat mans, Animals,” he said uneasily.

Animal sighed heavily and looked down at his candy cane. “Santa no fit…”

“But he’s real!” Pepe said quickly. “He, uh—I don’t know how he fits, but he’s real! And he can fly around de whole entire worlds, in one night, wit’ all his reindeers, and bring everybody presents…”

Animal looked at him. “How?”

Pepe stared at him. “…I, ah… I don’t know how!” he said. “Santa Claus—is a very mysterious mans, hokay.”

Animal looked at him. “…Whole world?”

“Si, si. He can fly around de whole entire worlds in one night.”

“How?”

“I don’t know how, Animals!” Pepe said. “I just know dat all de presents get delivered, hokay. Maybe… Maybe he has a second sleigh, hokay.”

Animal tilted his head. “Second sleigh?”

“Si! Maybe he has a second sleigh, dat de elves drive, an’ dey split de world in half, and dat’s how dey get all around de world in one night!”

Animal’s eyelids lowered.

“Dey could split de reindeers,” Pepe went on. “Santa whould get, ah… Schnitzel, h’and Rudolph, h’and uh… And de elves, could get, uh… Blitzen, h’and… um…” He frowned and looked at the fingers of his hands. “How many reindeers are d’ere? Blitzen, Schnitzel, um…”

Animal shook his head, stood up, and started to walk away, leaving the candy cane behind.

“Maybe d’ere are t’ree sleighs,” Pepe went on. “Mrs. Claus might’ve liked de femini—femininishisi—femeni… De women’s rights movements, h’and demanded her own sleigh!”

Zoot stood up and followed Animal out of the kitchen.

“I don’t know!” Pepe sighed with a shrug. “But listen, Animals, it doesn’t matter how Santa—“ He looked up. “…Where did he go?” He looked around and picked up the abandoned candy cane. “Drummers, hokay.”

*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*​

For those of you who don’t know, there are a lot of Muppets. And naturally, they each have a stocking around Christmas time. But the world is yet to make a fireplace with a big enough mantel to hang enough stockings for every single Muppet, unless those stockings were all rat-sized stockings, which wouldn’t work so well for Sweetums-sized Muppets.

Suffice to say that most of the Muppets’ stockings hung, not on the fireplace, but on the wall above the fireplace. They hung in rows upon rows of red socks, almost all the way up the wall, and there was only one Muppet who could reach high enough to hang every last one.

“Ready, Robin?”

“Yup!”

Robin hopped into Sweetums’ open palm, holding the next stocking in his hand. Sweetums lifted him into the air, and the little frog held the stocking up against the wall.

“How’s that?”

“That looks just right,” Sweetums said. “You got the tack for it?”

“Um…” Robin looked around on his best friend’s hand. “I don’t see it.”

Sweetums looked around. “Where’s the box?”

“I don’t know…”

“Well, here.” Sweetums set his little buddy down on the mantle. “Let’s find the little box…”

Robin looked around on the mantle. Sweetums bent down and scrounged the floor.

“Oh, here!” he said, picking up the box of tacks. He straightened up and looked at the mantle—where there no longer was a frog. “Hey—where’d YOU go?”

Robin poked his head out of one of the select few stockings that actually hung on the mantle. He examined the spot he had somehow fallen into, and then looked up at Sweetums. “Oops.”

Sweetums slapped his knee with a hearty laugh. Then he straightened up, set the box of tacks on the mantle, and helped his friend out of the stocking.

“Hey, Little Green,” Floyd said as he came into the room. “Maybe you can help. Maybe you too, Sweetums.”

The hulking monster and hopping frog turned and looked at the bassist as they once again prepared to hang the next stocking. “Help with what?” Robin asked.

“Animal,” Floyd said, and he sighed. “He’s on his way to a blue Christmas.”

“How come?” Robin asked.

Floyd shook his head. “No Christmas spirit in ‘im now,” he said. “All because he’s not sure if Santa Claus is real.”

“Uh-oh,” Sweetums said.

Robin frowned distinctly. “…Why wouldn’t Santa be real?”

Sweetums and Floyd looked at each other. “Well… not everyone believes in Santa,” Sweetums said carefully.

“I know,” Robin said. “Not everyone celebrates Christmas.”

“…That ain’t all there is to it,” Floyd said reluctantly. “But do you think you could talk to Animal?”

“Sure!”

theprawncracker

Reaction score
YES! Send in the Robin! He'll set de Animals straight, hokay! While Pepe's attempt WAS very, very funny, hokay... I t'ink we need de little froggy. Loved this chapter! Animal's moping is fantastic and Rizzo scolding Pepe is GOLDEN! Loved the inclusion of Scrooge! I can't wait for more! And I know you can't either! :wink: More PLEASE!

Libba Yuki

Reaction score
Hahaha!

I LOVE Pepe trying to explain the whys and hows of Santa Clause, it's priceless!