1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Christmas Special

Discussion in 'Classic Muppets' started by BeakerFan14, Oct 10, 2011.

1. BeakerFan14

BeakerFan14 Member

I was at my local flea market and I saw a video with Kermit on the side. It was some Christmas Special about a Jug Band or something like that. Only a dollar. Is that special any good. Should I go back and get it?
    :):eek:
  2. BobThePizzaBoy

BobThePizzaBoy Well-Known Member

Yes! That would be Emmet Otter's Jug Band Christmas, a wonderful Christmas special Jim Henson did in 1977. Totally worth buying.
  3. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

Yes, I'd highly recommend going back and getting it, lol. Emmett Otter's Jugband Christmas is a wonderful special and if it's only a dollar that's incredible.

Do you mean it was a VHS? I should add that the most recent DVD of Emmett Otter does have a lot of great special features, but obviously it will cost more, and the Kermit scenes were cut.
  4. BeakerFan14

BeakerFan14 Member

Will do. Is it rare or anything?
    :eek:
  5. BeakerFan14

BeakerFan14 Member

Yeah it was a VHS. And how much of Kermit is actually in it?
  6. heralde

The version with the Kermit scenes intake is rare. So the version you saw would be cool to have in that regard. Kermit shows up at the beginning, the end and also narrates in the middle. But the special overall is really amazing and has music by Paul Williams. :)
  7. BeakerFan14

BeakerFan14 Member

Okay, cool. Hopefully it's still there next weekend...
  8. heralde

Actually if any other members here could clarify, would a VHS of Emmett Otter have had the Kermit scenes? I know there was a ton of editing to the special over the years, even before the recent DVD release.
  9. BeakerFan14

BeakerFan14 Member

The one I saw had a red box (yellow letters? not sure) and it had a picture of Kermit on the side about the size of a stamp. And it was in one of the cardboard VHS boxes (not like the thick Disney cases)
    :):eek:
  10. heralde

11. BeakerFan14

BeakerFan14 Member

I believe it was the 1998 one
  12. heralde

OK if it is the 1998 version than it looks like they cut Kermit's scene at the end and the narration in the middle.

I'd still recommend buying it if it's still there. It's always interesting when so many different versions of a special exist. At least to me as a Researcher, lol. The version I have is the DVD and doesn't have any of Kermit but it's still a very sweet story with amazing music (Paul Williams is just one of those geniuses, lol). Plus you can't beat a dollar price!
  13. robodog

robodog Active Member

Wow, I haven't seen Emmet Otter in years. I remember sitting on the foot of my parents' bed and watching it when I was five. I'd love to see it again.
  14. BeakerFan14

BeakerFan14 Member

I will definatly get it if it's still there and let you know which one it is. I was digging through my old VHS the other day and found MFC and I would like to have all the Christmas Specials
  15. heralde

Oh I know, I found a VHS of MFC at my library's sale awhile back. 50 cents, can't beat that! :halo:

And thanks now I really want to watch Emmett Otter again, lol.
  16. BeakerFan14

BeakerFan14 Member

Was it the edited one or the uncut one?
  17. heralde

Actually I haven't watched it yet, lol. Was waiting for Christmas; I'll let you know!
  18. Speed Tracer

Speed Tracer Well-Known Member

I would recommend - and this is probably an affordable option - owning both the VHS with Kermit and the most recent DVD. Since the VHS cost you 50 cents, you get Kermit - but the DVD, which I bought for $10 I think, has some really amazing special features on the creation of the special. It's all up to you :) Come back here and report once you've watched it! It's one of my all-time favorite Henson productions.
  19. BeakerFan14

BeakerFan14 Member

I don't know if I'm going to get it. I've never been much into Muppets outside of TMS and SS. But...... I went back today and they had a VHS called Muppet Theater or something like that. Is that any good? It had Kermit, Gonzo, and Fozzie on the front cover.
    :eek::):concern::o
  20. heralde

If it's Muppet Classic Theater, it's not as good as earlier Muppet products, at least in my opinion. ;)