Classic Canadian Sesame Street

prickle747

Reaction score
who remembers this one ?

ENGLISH/FRENCH Animated one the hippo is rolling around in the dirt,having a great time then the man comes home and sees the hippo and says your very dirty you need a bath,come in to my house runs the water and gives the hippo the soap......SOAP "LE SAVON"......then hippo replys back LE SAVON.........then man let's him get washed....hippo tries eating the soap.......hippo says "YUCK"........then hippo has had enough of washing.......goes back and rolls in the dirt again..........FUNNY !! :smile:

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
prickle747 said:
Classic Canadian Footage of the show in our area was

2 channels: CBC & Treehouse

CBC aired 1 hr show and later Sesame Park
Treehouse aired Open Sesame
Did Open Sesame include footage from "Canadian Sesame Street"? I never saw any, and also I thought that footage was owned by CBC, not Sesame Workshop (though they actually hold the rights on the characters).

My understanding was that Sesame Workshop sold footage to CBC who then spliced in made-in-Canada segments, produced by CBC, to for each episode of Cdn. Sesame Street. Later on, Sesame Park was of course 100% Canadian without any of the US segments.

Soul H

Reaction score
prickle747 said:
who remembers this one ?

ENGLISH/FRENCH Animated one the hippo is rolling around in the dirt,having a great time then the man comes home and sees the hippo and says your very dirty you need a bath,come in to my house runs the water and gives the hippo the soap......SOAP "LE SAVON"......then hippo replys back LE SAVON.........then man let's him get washed....hippo tries eating the soap.......hippo says "YUCK"........then hippo has had enough of washing.......goes back and rolls in the dirt again..........FUNNY !! :smile:
I remember that one. It was hilarious the way the hippo was acting.

prickle747

Reaction score
i guess you might say classic canadian sesame street was the french sketches or skits that were not aired in the U.S.

In the 70-80's the french lanuage teaching was more directed to Canada and I thought the french was here to stay.......and now has went back to just straight english,being the show is Americian.

Does anybody know why CBC does not air Sesame Street anymore ?

Pino

Reaction score
Does anyone of you have pics from the muppets on this show???

drmusic_99

Reaction score
There were two songs in particular that I remember from Canadian Sesame Street. One was called "Des Heureux" (Clocks), and showed a bunch of still photos of clocks. The other I was thinking of was about bees, and the song went "Who goes from flower to flower... a bee, a bee, abeille... who works hour, after hour... a bee, a bee, abeille."

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
prickle747 said:
Does anybody know why CBC does not air Sesame Street anymore ?
Sesame Park ceased production in 2000, but continues to air on CBC in reruns on a regular basis. The problem was I think that once the show became Sesame Park and 100% Canadian in 1995, CBC had to pay for producing an entire show rather than just inserts. The change to Sesame Park was done mostly because CBC is supposed to favour Canadian content over foreign programs and the American curriculum of Sesame never completely meshed with the CBC's programming goals. The feeling was I guess that CBC should be doing a 100% Cdn version of Sesame instead of just inserts for an American show. I think there was a lot of political pressure on CBC as well, but that's just a guess.

Because the show was so obviously Canadian there wasn't much of an international market for the series either, meaning CBC couldn't sell it overseas to make some money back. Most children's series are only produced for five years anyway and after that they are just endlessly rerun so the programming money can be put in to new projects. That's a pretty common phenomenon - Between the Lions, Bear in the Big Blue House and other great shows have had the plug pulled as well.

In the end I think Sesame Park was just too expensive to keep going. A few of the International co-productions have fallen victim to that over the years. It's said, but usually the only shows that stay on the air are huge merchandising successes like Sesame Street (the original) and Barney. They make so much money on T-shirts, DVDs, videos, toys and books that it subsidizes the cost of producing the series. Plus, by producing more episodes they sell more merchandise.

Even the American Sesame Street couldn't hope to survive without merchandising.

Kinda sad, eh?

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Pino said:
Does anyone of you have pics from the muppets on this show???
I have a few photos of the characters on display at the CBC Museum in Toronto (they are currently part of an exhibit) in my Yahoo Photo Album:

http://photos.yahoo.com/angrypuppets

Click on the "CBC Puppet Exhibit" photo to see them. Feel free to use them on your site if you want Pino (they are my original photos). I also have a few more publicity photos from the show that I can send you privately if you like.

prickle747

Reaction score
Buck-Beaver said:
Sesame Park ceased production in 2000, but continues to air on CBC in reruns on a regular basis. The problem was I think that once the show became Sesame Park and 100% Canadian in 1995, CBC had to pay for producing an entire show rather than just inserts. The change to Sesame Park was done mostly because CBC is supposed to favour Canadian content over foreign programs and the American curriculum of Sesame never completely meshed with the CBC's programming goals. The feeling was I guess that CBC should be doing a 100% Cdn version of Sesame instead of just inserts for an American show. I think there was a lot of political pressure on CBC as well, but that's just a guess.

Because the show was so obviously Canadian there wasn't much of an international market for the series either, meaning CBC couldn't sell it overseas to make some money back. Most children's series are only produced for five years anyway and after that they are just endlessly rerun so the programming money can be put in to new projects. That's a pretty common phenomenon - Between the Lions, Bear in the Big Blue House and other great shows have had the plug pulled as well.

In the end I think Sesame Park was just too expensive to keep going. A few of the International co-productions have fallen victim to that over the years. It's said, but usually the only shows that stay on the air are huge merchandising successes like Sesame Street (the original) and Barney. They make so much money on T-shirts, DVDs, videos, toys and books that it subsidizes the cost of producing the series. Plus, by producing more episodes they sell more merchandise.

Even the American Sesame Street couldn't hope to survive without merchandising.

Kinda sad, eh?
Buck Beaver..............

sesame street continues to air on CBC in reruns on a regular basis ??

what day and what time is it on ?

all i see it on is channel 61 WNED (on digital cable)