1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Save Muppet Central Radio
    Within days Muppet Central Radio could be off the air. Show your support and save the station by listening via Radionomy's website and apps. We're also on iTunes and Apple TV. Learn More

Classic Canadian Sesame Street

Discussion in 'Sesame Worlds' started by prickle747, Oct 5, 2003.

1. sixdollarman

sixdollarman Member

I also grew up watching both American and Canadian Sesame Street. That's how I learnt how to count to 10 in both French and Spanish! A couple of skits I remember were the live action animal shorts like the walruses falling into the ocean.
    Also there was "I'm a polar, I'm a polar, I'm a polar bear!! Here in the ice and snow." I think the polar bear one was my favorite.

2. BlueFrackle

BlueFrackle Active Member

Guys

Id like to do a trade with a Canadian Muppet fan, Id like to get some episodes of Sesame Park, I have one at the moment and it really is a good show!

Anyone who can help, Please do!

thanks

3. prickle747

prickle747 Member

I see your from England.
    Different formats on vcr's though NTSC and PAL,that won't work for me.

4. punkNpuppets

punkNpuppets New Member

everytime i visit canada and check the tv listings, sesame park is never listed! r u guys sure they still show re runs?

5. prickle747

prickle747 Member

I have not seen Sesame Park on since 1996 or so.

6. Dantecat

Dantecat Active Member

Does The Sesame Street in Canada show Any Muppet Clips from The United States??You know like The Count,Cookie Monster,Bert,etc.?

7. Buck-Beaver

Buck-Beaver Well-Known Member

At least until very recently, the show was being occasionally rerun at odd times, on the weekend or very early in the morning. I could swear I saw it on early one morning in the last year. The show definately aired regularly on weekdays at least until 2000 as that was when it stopped production.

If you'd like to trade some tapes BlueFrackle, email me privately as I could probably work something out with you.

8. Buck-Beaver

The original "Canadian Sesame Street" was on CBC and the same as the American show, but with some of the cartoons and live-action segments edited out and replaced with Canadian content. I think all the Muppet and Street segments were left in. Mostly, they replaced Spanish segments with French ones and there would be the odd skit about Canada's geography or culture. The full, unedited American version of Sesame was also available here on TVO until the late 80s.

Canadian Muppets were added to the CBC broadcasts in 1987 (I think). The show became "Sesame Park" in the mid-90s and all of the American content (including the regular Sesame Muppets) was no longer used.

9. prickle747

prickle747 Member

we get the same content now as the states,in the 70's - 90's french was becoming the new thing so french was being tought and french animated sketches were out.So yes in the past we have seen our share of muppet clips.But now Sesame Street is the same here (in canada) as the united states.there is no seperate sesame street for canada no longer,due to funding and tv funding i believe.

10. Buck-Beaver

Sesame Street is not actually carried on any Canadian stations to the best of my knowledge. Cities close to the US border who get PBS can watch the show though. It's a shame - as a kid it there was two different versions and the show was on four times a day (at least). Now all we get in Toronto is it once a day at 10:30 am on Buffalo's PBS channel.

11. BlueFrackle

BlueFrackle Active Member

Buck,

I cant email you, The option is turned off in your profile.
    Could you email me through my profile please?

thanks

12. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf New Member

I found this old essay on customizing Sesame Street for a Canadian audience and mentions something else that was problematic in terms of the original Canadian version:

"Because the CBC buys the previous year's version of Sesame Street, certain content will surely be repeated. With most segments, there is little concern. However with certain content, problems arise. Several year's ago, CTW decided to deal with Mr. Hooper's death on the air. As a result, Mr. Hooper died one year on the US version and then a year later in the Canadian version. Similarly, Maria and Luis's wedding, seen in 1988 by children watching the US version will be seen in 1989 on the CBC version. Since many Canadian children watch both versions, parents may have to deal with some confused children."

This also makes me wonder if the fact that so many Candian kids also see the original influenced the CBC's decision. As I understand it, muppet skits from the American show only made up a small fraction of each half-hour episode and these tended to be relatively old, hence you rarely if ever, saw characters like Elmo, Zoe or Rosita in Sesame Park. I remember kids with "Tickle Me Elmo" dolls in the 90s. Make no mistake: they were/are every bit as crazy about him as their American counterparts and since Elmo and other more recent characters were nearly absent from Sesame Park, (no Elmo's World) I wonder did the kids just not prefer the American show instead.

And this is pure speculation and maybe nothing more than coincidence, but Sesame Park seemed to vanish from the CBC's kids morning programming slot not long after the American Sesame Street radically changed its format in light of new research about the way kids learn. Sesame Park's format was basically consistent with the "old", only half an hour shorter and network executives and child development experts can't afford to be regarded by the public as not keeping up with the times. Again this all just a guess.

13. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

I find it fascinating that out of so many international co-productions out there, CANADIAN SESAME STREET, as well as the latter SESAME PARK are so hard to come by in terms of online videos and such. There's one full episode of SP and one full episode of Canadian SST on YouTube, plus Shane's got a clip of Basil and Katie that's dubbed in Spanish for PLAZA SESAMO (go fig), but other than that, there's really nothing. It almost kinda makes it feel like we were never supposed to know this co-production ever existed.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2017
  14. Pig's Laundry

Pig's Laundry Well-Known Member

Could just be that whichever network showed the episodes, doesn't feel the need to put out the episodes because it was never as popular as the original American Sesame Street. It seems to me, Canadian produced shows are not as respected as imported shows from the US and the UK.

15. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

I'm talking about more people out there who would tape the shows growing up and then post them on YouTube.

As for Canadian shows, I don't know, seems like a majority of the shows on PBS are Canadian produced or co-produced.

16. OscarandTelly

OscarandTelly Member

Luckily for me I got to see the last 4 seasons of Canadian ss and ss park along with the us version because we have a Canadian cable channel here. But yes it is super hard to come by. I know of 5 Canadian episodes that exsist out there. One of them is the 1993 one that's currently on yt. And only 2 ss park episodes. One is the one on yt. The other a friend of mine has. I wish I could travel through canada and go door to door asking people if they have either show recorded on vhs. However, we are lucky that at least a few episodes have popped up. Let's home as time goes on more come to surface.

MikaelaMuppet likes this.