Classic Cartoons in Syndication

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I've noticed quite a few animated series of yesteryears are treated rather weirdly in syndication.

The most prominent example I can think of is how Rocky and Bullwinkle in syndication includes the first two seasons, with an unusually edited version of the final season, leaving out Seasons Three and Four from syndication.

Is this a tradition, or are there some kind of legal issues that prevent every season of these old cartoons from being syndicated, or what?

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
A different production company didn't take over after the second season did they?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
A different production company didn't take over after the second season did they?
No, they were just simply dropped from ABC, and then picked up by NBC, who wanted them to change the name from Rocky and His Friends to The Bullwinkle Show.

Other than that, same production company, and same animation company.

Redsonga

Reaction score
I miss the Flintstones :frown:
And no, my cable company doesn't get boomerang :frown: *sighs and goes to bed*

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
I miss that show, too! But I still have in my memory. Saw that the Pebbled and Bam-Bam show is now no DVD the other day if that's you're sort of thing.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The most prominent example I can think of is how Rocky and Bullwinkle in syndication includes the first two seasons, with an unusually edited version of the final season, leaving out Seasons Three and Four from syndication.

Is this a tradition, or are there some kind of legal issues that prevent every season of these old cartoons from being syndicated, or what?
Hmmm... seems to me you found out about production caps or something like that. In this case, they only wanted that many episodes due to the fact they had enough episodes to go on for a 65 episode run (the minimal ammount needed for syndication). In otherwords, they didn't feel it was worth the time or effort to buy more, when these seasons had enough episodes to last them years and years. Heck, the first saga is contained in 20 half hour episodes (40 3 1/2 minute segments overall). It's like the equivvilant of the production cap, where a studio decides to stop producing a show since they have enough episodes. Certain sitcoms air this way as well.

But what I miss the most is local syndicated packages of various Looney Tunes, Popeye, and Terrytoons shorts. But I'm too tired to get into that rant now.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Hmmm... seems to me you found out about production caps or something like that. In this case, they only wanted that many episodes due to the fact they had enough episodes to go on for a 65 episode run (the minimal ammount needed for syndication). In otherwords, they didn't feel it was worth the time or effort to buy more, when these seasons had enough episodes to last them years and years. Heck, the first saga is contained in 20 half hour episodes (40 3 1/2 minute segments overall). It's like the equivvilant of the production cap, where a studio decides to stop producing a show since they have enough episodes. Certain sitcoms air this way as well.

But what I miss the most is local syndicated packages of various Looney Tunes, Popeye, and Terrytoons shorts. But I'm too tired to get into that rant now.
Ahh, so THAT'S how it works... that explains why originally only 54 episodes of Alvin and The Chipmunks were syndicated, then later only 11 more were added to the syndication package.

Drtooth is so smart when it comes to toons!

But now, let me ask you this... if what you say about 65 episodes being the minimum amount for a cartoon in syndication, then how come your typical modern-day animated series lasts for only a maxium of 52?

Drtooth

Reaction score
But now, let me ask you this... if what you say about 65 episodes being the minimum amount for a cartoon in syndication, then how come your typical modern-day animated series lasts for only a maxium of 52?
Well, it ties into my rant. Modern cartoon shows don't usually run on weekdays, but rather weekends. 52 episodes is basically 4 seasons of 13 epsiodes each. If run on a cable network, that's basically just enough to run the series daily. 65 episodes used to be the standard, and that pretty much counts as their production run for a weekday syndicated original program. Weekend cartoons are what most companies look for nowadays, anyway.

So, back to the rant... Remember a thread I made about what happened to syndication? Turns out it's all this huge FCC ruling problem that made cartoons unprofitable to produce for syndication. Add to the up to 4 channels that actually run children's programming on Basic cable, no one wants to bother, and would rather get cheaper talk shows and court shows.

That said, why don't we have anymore syndicated old cartoons? I'm sure that the companies (much like they did with various reruns of classic sitcoms) bought the rights all up to air on their respective cable channels, and they never actually get around to airing them.

Why, when i was a kid, I watched all the syndicated old cartoons they had. And I loved them. I'm sure that if they could work a deal out with Warners, Universal, etc. they could get all those old Looney Tunes, Woody Woodpecker, etc. compilations. Outside of rights and editing, it shouldn't cost all that much. These corporations are scrambling to bring the characters into modern hip television and miss the mark most of the time. What's wrong with syndicating and showing the old cartoons? It does cost a little money, but it's money in the bank when it comes to merchandising. Maybe syndicated LT packages will finally revitilise the franchise you've been callously destroying with derivitive action junk.