Classic Sesame Street DVD Collection?

Oliver

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm looking for a collection of Sesame Street epsiodes or skits from the 70's / 80's on DVD, with all the classic segments like Teeny Little Super Guy, Grover The Waiter, Monsterpiece Theatre, Kermit The Frog news reporter, the old Ernie & Bert skits, Super Grover, Guy Smiley, Forgetful Jones & Sinsiter Sam, the pinball counting game and other bridging animated sequences, Don Music, Sherlock Hemlock, etc...

I have searched EVERYWHERE and cannot seem to find any such products. Amazon.com only seems to stock compilation dvd's of the 1990+ series with the newer characters like Elmo but I need to somehow find these episodes on dvd!!!

Could anyone please tell me whether or not these exist and if not... WHY?!?

I would imagine, given the impact that this show has made throughout it's run on public and childrens television in general, that this sort of a thing would be priority, especially within the Henson family!

Does anyone know if season or episode sets will ever be planned or released, or at the very least, a series of best-of compilation discs showcasing complete segments from the highlights of the classic series from the late 1970's to mid 1980's?

I would reeally verymuch appreciate some insight into this - whether such dvd's exist and if not, whether any are planned and what is the status and reasoning for such long overdue releases...

Thanks so much for any responses!!

- Oliver.

:grouchy:

Boober_Gorg

Reaction score
No such thing exists, and it's unlikely that such will ever happen (Sesame Workshop doesn't seem to consider it profitable, even though we think it'd make a nice fundraiser item). But many of us here have the same passion you do. Some of us even have huge video collections of what you're seeking. And someday I hope to get myself one of those DVD+R burners.

Out of curiosity, do you trade tapes? That's a really handy way to get what you're seeking. Most of our general collection of classic SS comes from Noggin, but a few of us, including me, have a good amount of material that Noggin didn't show.

Smy Guiley

Reaction score
Oliver said:
Hi,

I'm looking for a collection of Sesame Street epsiodes or skits from the 70's / 80's on DVD, with all the classic segments like Teeny Little Super Guy, Grover The Waiter, Monsterpiece Theatre, Kermit The Frog news reporter, the old Ernie & Bert skits, Super Grover, Guy Smiley, Forgetful Jones & Sinsiter Sam, the pinball counting game and other bridging animated sequences, Don Music, Sherlock Hemlock, etc...

- Oliver.

:grouchy:
I have a few Video CD's I made of out-of-print videos that have quite a few classics on them. Let me know if you want to trade:

1. The Best of Kermit on Sesame Street / Sesame Songs Rock and roll
2. The Best of Ernie and Bert / Cookie Monster's Best Bites
3. Fraggle Songs volume one
4. Sesame Street's 25th Anniversary, A musical celebration

Oliver

Reaction score
Boober_Gorg said:
No such thing exists, and it's unlikely that such will ever happen (Sesame Workshop doesn't seem to consider it profitable, even though we think it'd make a nice fundraiser item). But many of us here have the same passion you do. Some of us even have huge video collections of what you're seeking. And someday I hope to get myself one of those DVD+R burners.

Out of curiosity, do you trade tapes? That's a really handy way to get what you're seeking. Most of our general collection of classic SS comes from Noggin, but a few of us, including me, have a good amount of material that Noggin didn't show.
I can't believe that Sesame Workshop wouldn't recognize the commercial viability of such a release / releases. 3 generations of adults have literally grown up with these shows, the demographics behind such potential consumers would be vast and eclectic. People have such fond memories of their childhood, and many of these people, now have children of their own with whom they'd love to share these memories with. Has anybody tried contacting them and inquiring about this before? I think we should set up some sort of petition to get this released. The least they could do is put together one best-of compilation and base production of future discs on the sales.

Anyways, to answer your question, I have not done any tape trading simply because I don't have an extra vcr to back up my collection. I do have about 3 or 4 recordings of classic Sesame Street episodes on cassette which I've just recently gone back and pulled out and I'd love to start trading but I wouldn't want to send away my only copies of these tapes without backups. The episodes I own are usually on vhs cassettes along with recordings of other childrens series and shows like Polka Dot Door, Mr. Rogers Neighborhood, etc that I guess my parents taped off PBS for me during the early 80's. I'd love to transfer some of these to VCD as well but I'm not too good with this sort of technical stuff.

Anyways, if anyone would like to trade tapes and wouldnt mind making backups for me to send back along, I'd definitely be interested. I'm really diossapointed to hear that there are no plans to ever release these to dvd. Hopefully a good bootleg will pop up on Ebay one day.

- Oliver

:frown:

Oliver

Reaction score
Smy Guiley said:
I have a few Video CD's I made of out-of-print videos that have quite a few classics on them. Let me know if you want to trade:

1. The Best of Kermit on Sesame Street / Sesame Songs Rock and roll
2. The Best of Ernie and Bert / Cookie Monster's Best Bites
3. Fraggle Songs volume one
4. Sesame Street's 25th Anniversary, A musical celebration
Would you mind telling me what sort of skits and content are on the following:

- The Best of Kermit on Sesame Street
- Cookie Monster's Best Bites
- The Best of Ernie and Bert

Do these also contain the animated bridging segments from the television series or is it just Muppet skits and do they show clips or full sequences?

Thanks!

Drtooth

Reaction score
Oliver said:
I can't believe that Sesame Workshop wouldn't recognize the commercial viability of such a release / releases. 3 generations of adults have literally grown up with these shows, the demographics behind such potential consumers would be vast and eclectic. People have such fond memories of their childhood, and many of these people, now have children of their own with whom they'd love to share these memories with. Has anybody tried contacting them and inquiring about this before? I think we should set up some sort of petition to get this released. The least they could do is put together one best-of compilation and base production of future discs on the sales.
Believe it. Apparently they could give a penguin about fans, and focus on the little kiddys leaching off their parents for anything with Dragontales on it. And... some Elmo stuff.

It's a sad state of affairs that they can't realize how many people want classic skits on DVD, want Sesame Unpaved back on the air, or a CD collection that has no songs from Elmopalooza on it. They sort of appealed to a collectors market with adult sized T shirts of Bert, Ernie, Oscar, etc. and Pez despensers (that are SUPPOSED to be in stores in a month or two), but it seems to stop their. In Japan, they have more adult Merchandising like Sesame Street Kubricks (for ages 13+ up) and such. But other than that, they don't seem to care for collectors.

I mean, if the CD boxed set is a hit, why NOT a DVD boxed set of classic skits and moments? I dunno why...

I wish they'd sink more money into collectors than that Dragontales garbage they're pushing on PBS....

Zet

Reaction score
Drtooth said:
In Japan, they have more adult Merchandising like Sesame Street Kubricks (for ages 13+ up) and such.
what are Sesame Street Kubricks?

You mean like the monolith "ME"? (just kidding) but seriously, what are they?

Zet

Reaction score
Oliver said:
I do have about 3 or 4 recordings of classic Sesame Street episodes on cassette which I've just recently gone back and pulled out and I'd love to start trading but I wouldn't want to send away my only copies of these tapes without backups. The episodes I own are usually on vhs cassettes along with recordings of other childrens series and shows like Polka Dot Door, Mr. Rogers Neighborhood, etc that I guess my parents taped off PBS for me during the early 80's.
Oliver,
Post seperately that you have some Sesame Street material (non Noggin) and some Mr. Rogers from the early 80's and you will get some trades.
If you have other PBS shows you should list them too...both here, and the alt.video.tape-trading newsgroup.

good luck...
-Z

prickle747

Reaction score
welcome to the forum oliver

you intrest is well known !! :smile:

muppet maniac

Reaction score
A "Classic Sesame Street" DVD Collection would be awesome! Hope it happens.

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Zet

what are Sesame Street Kubricks?

You mean like the monolith "ME"? (just kidding) but seriously, what are they?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Kubricks" are sort of like Japanese LEGO people figures.They're only sold in Japan and overseas,although I've heard some say that the Sesame Kubricks are available in some specialty shops in the US.

Series One included:
Big Bird
Grover
Ernie
The Count
Little Bird
..plus a "chase" figure:A Green Twiddlebug

Series Two included:
Elmo
Oscar the Grouch
Bert
Herry Monster