Classic SS Character Questions

MuppetDude

Reaction score
You know the SS News Flash where Kermit's covering the race between the Tortoise and the Hare right? Well, at one point the Hare says the other animals call him "Jumpin' Jack Rabbit".
My question is this... Should the Tortoise and the Hare be divided into separate entries? And should the then individual entry for the Hare be changed to "Jumpin' Jack Rabbit"? And should the individual entry for the Tortoise be changed to either "Mr. Tortoise" or "Mr. Turtle" as Kermit calls him?

I think both could be separate entries...as long as you refer to what sketch they're from.

Also... The song "One Way" was meant for Chris and the Alphabeats, but only the latter appear. So... Should the Alphabeats be separated into an individual group entry?

I think it should say "Chris and the Alphabeats", since that's what they're usually referred to.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
OK, finished going through the list's current version...
Gathered up all the questions posted in this thread, and found ones that are yet to be resolved.

So... If you can help, please do so.
Remaining Questions.
1 In the song "Body Full of Rhythm", there's a "fourth" Monotone. This Monotone was purple with a red nose, frizzy black hair, a white shirt, a fuzzy brown vest, and a few beaded necklaces.
The heading/name "Little Jerry and the Monotones: Remaining Member" just doesn't click for me.
However, either of the next suggestions lend a sort of air of mysticism that'd fit him better in my mind.
"Little Jerry and the Monotones: The Lost Monotone".
"Little Jerry and the Monotones: The Fourth Monotone".
Either of these would distinguish him, kind of how Pete Best is the "Fifth" Beatle. Which would be better to add this missing Monotone with the rest of the band in the list?
2 There's a sketch with Grover and a little girl that's been identified as "Heather" scratching each other's backs. However, I have an entry for "Ellie Jane", a kid as portrayed by Heather North.
Is this entry for Ellie Jane correct? Was there ever such a character on SS?
If not, then is Heather North the full name of this girl from the sketch with Grover?
3 There's this classic sketch with Grover, a little girl named Maya, and an arrow pointer sign.
Grover keeps going the way the arrow points, unknowing it keeps flipping to fool him... Until Grover faints and the arrow points downwards, prompting the girl to ask "What happened arrow?"
Should "Maya" be added to the list?
4 There's the classic sketch of Bert and Ernie fishing in a boat, where Ernie keeps calling the fish into the boat. When Bert tries it, a fish jumps in and laughs like Ernie.
Been told by TotallySpiesFan that this was a shark, should it be added?
If so, under what heading/name?
5 There's the classic Bert and Ernie sketch where Bert gets suckered into pretending to be a train.
An AM train conductor shows up calling and hitching up Bert like a real train.
Been told that two AM's then show up as passengers.
Should all of these be added to the list? If so, under what heading/names for each?
6 There are a couple of sketches, namely Rhymies Go Camping and Camp Wannagohome: Tree, where a Muppet bear appears and I've been told that this is the same character.
Should this guy be added to the list? With the tag of both his sketch appearances?
7 There was the classic sketch where Sinister Sam was looking for the last box of crayons cause he wanted to know Y. There were a total of five other characters/cowboys in this sketch.
Chester, the barkeep, and Snooks the orange cowboy who left and then came quickly back are already added. The old green cowboy with white beard has been added as "The Old Timer", and the lavender cowboy played by Frank who had the box of crayons has been added as "The Crayon Box Cowboy".
The only cowboy left to add was a green one with a moustache and blue oval nose.
Under what heading/name should this cowboy be added to the list?
8 On the subject of Harvey Kneeslapper's Victims...
There are three of them: the fat blue one voiced by Jim Henson, from I on Your Hat and Wanna B; Mr. Johnson; and a third lavender AM in a gray jacket, frizzy black hair, and green nose from Would you like 1? played by Richard Hunt. However, the only two Harvey Kneeslapper sketches I have are Wanna B and Give Me 5. My questions are as follows:
Are any of the three victims described above the one that appeared in "Give Me 5"?
If not, then should the one from "Give Me 5", "Wanna B", and "Would You Like 1?" each be added as Harvey Kneeslapper's Victims #1, 2, and 3 respectively with the sketch they're from?
9 There's the game show called "The Addition Game" hosted by Guy Smiley with Herry Monster as a contestant. The last question Herry's given is "What is 3 + 1?" And Guy gives him the hypothetical suggestion of 3 cars plus 1 makes 4. Herry then goes out to prove this and ends up crashing four cars through the studio's walls. These cars had AM drivers, TotallySpiesFan has described as thus: they include an orange one played by Frank and a purple one played by Richard Hunt.
Should these AM drivers be added to the list? Should they be added individually or as a group entry?
If so, then under what individual or group entry heading/names?
10 There's this sketch, I believe aired in Episode 1706, where an orange AM girl connects the sounds of the word "HUG" and then Herry Monster shows up to give her a hug.
Should she be added to the list? If so, under what heading/name?
11 In the episode where Olivia's Grandmother comes to set up a fruit stand on SS... There's this sketch with a little AM boy thinking of things you can do with your mind like hoping. A knock can be heard on the door, growing louder as the kid fails to answer and keeps imaging something worse. In the end, it was only Herry Monster wanting to know if the boy could come out to play.
Who was this AM boy? Should he be added to the list?
Hope to hear from you guys soon and have a good day.

Also hoping that MuppetDude or TSF can come in and help, though anyone who has the info's welcome to post and share.

MuppetDude

Reaction score
1) In the song "Body Full of Rhythm", there's a "fourth" Monotone. This Monotone was purple with a red nose, frizzy black hair, a white shirt, a fuzzy brown vest, and a few beaded necklaces.
The heading/name "Little Jerry and the Monotones: Remaining Member" just doesn't click for me.
However, either of the next suggestions lend a sort of air of mysticism that'd fit him better in my mind.
"Little Jerry and the Monotones: The Lost Monotone".
"Little Jerry and the Monotones: The Fourth Monotone".
Either of these would distinguish him, kind of how Pete Best is the "Fifth" Beatle. Which would be better to add this missing Monotone with the rest of the band in the list?

I'd go with "The Fourth Monotone"

2) There's a sketch with Grover and a little girl that's been identified as "Heather" scratching each other's backs. However, I have an entry for "Ellie Jane", a kid as portrayed by Heather North.
Is this entry for Ellie Jane correct? Was there ever such a character on SS?
If not, then is Heather North the full name of this girl from the sketch with Grover?

I've never heard of a kid named "Ellie Jane".

3) There's this classic sketch with Grover, a little girl named Maya, and an arrow pointer sign.
Grover keeps going the way the arrow points, unknowing it keeps flipping to fool him... Until Grover faints and the arrow points downwards, prompting the girl to ask "What happened arrow?"
Should "Maya" be added to the list?

Probably not; I've only seen her in one clip, and it's not on the street.

4 There's the classic sketch of Bert and Ernie fishing in a boat, where Ernie keeps calling the fish into the boat. When Bert tries it, a fish jumps in and laughs like Ernie.
Been told by TotallySpiesFan that this was a shark, should it be added?

Probably just "The Shark"; he appears from time to time, and is played by different puppeteers (Brian Muehl, Jerry Nelson, Kevin Clash, etc.).

5) There's the classic Bert and Ernie sketch where Bert gets suckered into pretending to be a train.
An AM train conductor shows up calling and hitching up Bert like a real train.
Been told that two AM's then show up as passengers.
Should all of these be added to the list? If so, under what heading/names for each?

I don't know if any of them should be added.

6) There are a couple of sketches, namely Rhymies Go Camping and Camp Wannagohome: Tree, where a Muppet bear appears and I've been told that this is the same character.
Should this guy be added to the list? With the tag of both his sketch appearances?

It's the same puppet, different puppeteers, just like the shark. Probably just name him "The Grizzly Bear".

7) There was the classic sketch where Sinister Sam was looking for the last box of crayons cause he wanted to know Y. There were a total of five other characters/cowboys in this sketch.
Chester, the barkeep, and Snooks the orange cowboy who left and then came quickly back are already added. The old green cowboy with white beard has been added as "The Old Timer", and the lavender cowboy played by Frank who had the box of crayons has been added as "The Crayon Box Cowboy".
The only cowboy left to add was a green one with a moustache and blue oval nose.
Under what heading/name should this cowboy be added to the list?

"The Nervous Cowboy".

8) On the subject of Harvey Kneeslapper's Victims...
There are three of them: the fat blue one voiced by Jim Henson, from I on Your Hat and Wanna B; Mr. Johnson; and a third lavender AM in a gray jacket, frizzy black hair, and green nose from Would you like 1? played by Richard Hunt. However, the only two Harvey Kneeslapper sketches I have are Wanna B and Give Me 5. My questions are as follows:
Are any of the three victims described above the one that appeared in "Give Me 5"?
If not, then should the one from "Give Me 5", "Wanna B", and "Would You Like 1?" each be added as Harvey Kneeslapper's Victims #1, 2, and 3 respectively with the sketch they're from?

There could be an entry for "HK's Victims". The other one from "Gimme 5" (sorry for not describing him--a lavendar live-hand man with gray hair and moustache, round orange nose, and upper teeth, and red sweater) could be referred to as "Harvey Kneeslapper's Rival", since at the end he ends up putting a "5" on Harvey.

9) There's the game show called "The Addition Game" hosted by Guy Smiley with Herry Monster as a contestant. The last question Herry's given is "What is 3 + 1?" And Guy gives him the hypothetical suggestion of 3 cars plus 1 makes 4. Herry then goes out to prove this and ends up crashing four cars through the studio's walls. These cars had AM drivers, TotallySpiesFan has described as thus: they include an orange one played by Frank and a purple (he's actually green) one played by Richard Hunt.
Should these AM drivers be added to the list? Should they be added individually or as a group entry?
If so, then under what individual or group entry heading/names?

How 'bout "The Angry Drivers (SS, from The Addition Game)"?

10) There's this sketch, I believe aired in Episode 1706, where an orange AM girl connects the sounds of the word "HUG" and then Herry Monster shows up to give her a hug.
Should she be added to the list? If so, under what heading/name?

I'd nix her. Not much to go by in order to list her.

11) In the episode where Olivia's Grandmother comes to set up a fruit stand on SS... There's this sketch with a little AM boy thinking of things you can do with your mind like hoping. A knock can be heard on the door, growing louder as the kid fails to answer and keeps imaging something worse. In the end, it was only Herry Monster wanting to know if the boy could come out to play.
Who was this AM boy? Should he be added to the list?

I'd never seen this sketch. But I think Dantecat might have it.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks pal. Made all the additions going by your suggestions.

Will probably add Heather. Got Ellie Jane from imdb.com's cast listing. Since I'm not sure what's good from there and what isn't, I'll keep what's on the list from there for now but probably won't add anything new from there unless I ask here first. If when the full research can be done yields no Ellie Jane, she'll be taken off the list then. Also, I'll keep Maya in mind. Might be that during the full research we might get a different definition as to including the various children who've appeared on SS throughout the years.
The only things left then are the AM's from the sketch where Bert pretends to be a train and gets hitched up as if he were a real train, and the ones from questions 10 and 11 above. Will put these on the backburner for now, but might pursue them later. After all, we are trying to go for completeness and accuracy with this massive sucker.

Oh, and I have a few other questions I came across while recalibrating the list on my files. Should I ask here or in the ML15 thread?
Hope to hear from you guys soon and have a good weekend.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
OK, here they are.

11 The Noseless Anything Muppets, from the song "Everything's Coming Up Noses".
should they be added?
12 Should Miss Muffet and her Spider be separated into individual entries?
This was a Miss Piggy sounding Miss Muffet who had to add the velcro features to the spider who kept coming in as different animals, cause he didn't know what a spider looked like.
Also, should the Director from this stage lot sketch be added?
13 What are the names of the following songs?
The song sung about the letter S by Sammy the Snake, the violet and green striped snake with an egg-shaped head. He appeared on a solid black background with little s's when he hissed.
The song sung by Sammy the Snake, the diamondback voiced by Jim Henson. He was accompanied by Carol Channing and these four S Muppets dubbed "The S-Girls".
14 Olivia's Grandmother.
Should she be added? If so, would also appreciate the name of the actress who portrayed her.

MuppetDude

Reaction score
11) The Noseless Anything Muppets, from the song "Everything's Coming Up Noses".
should they be added?

Sure.

12) Should Miss Muffet and her Spider be separated into individual entries?
This was a Miss Piggy sounding Miss Muffet who had to add the velcro features to the spider who kept coming in as different animals, cause he didn't know what a spider looked like.
Also, should the Director from this stage lot sketch be added?

Yes, different entries, since both of them were more like "actors" in this sketch.

And yes, Lance the Director (the original Guy Smiley puppet with frizzy white hair, sleepy eyes, and tinted glasses) should be added.

As for the snake songs, it's hard to tell. I know what you're talking about, but as for names I don't know.

14) Olivia's Grandmother.
Should she be added? If so, would also appreciate the name of the actress who portrayed her.

Sure, but I don't know who played her.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks again. Don't worry about the snake songs, I'll ask JFS. Sokay if you don't know the actress's name for Olivia's Grandmother. We might get that from other sources or when/if the full research takes place.
As for the Miss Muffet sketch, should that be classified as "Miss Muffet Production"?
Just asking to see how best to add the sketch's tag for the individual entries.

Hope to hear from you and have a good weekend.
BTW: Posted the other questions in the ML thread.

MuppetDude

Reaction score
As for the Miss Muffet sketch, should that be classified as "Miss Muffet Production"?
Just asking to see how best to add the sketch's tag for the individual entries.

Sounds good to me.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
*Bump.*

Bringing this thread back up to the top, since I might get a chance to watch my third VHS tape and ask more questions now that the list's revision's over.

Have a good day everybodee!