Cliff's Nightmare

Drtooth

Reaction score
This was on yesterday, and I had the VCR set to tape it. Finally, I get to see it again. I saw a very short clip of the end 2 years ago, that's about it!

I have noticed a few things

1) Richard Hunt only plays one of his popular characters, Statler. Not even Sweetums (who sounded like David Rudman) Why is that?

2) Beautiful Day makes an appearance as a doctor in one scene. However, he is first played by Kevin Clash doing a low pitched Hoots the Owl type of voice (sounds more like him playing Sam the Eagle) when Cliff enters (with Sweetums, and Dog Lion) he's played by David Golez doing a Bunsen Honeydew voice.

3) THE HYPOCRITIC OAF SWITCHED PERFORMERS, was 2) and 3) because they wanted to shoot it straight through (meaning they didn't cut and switch off Puppeteers), and Kevin Clash was playing Leon?

4) Obscure characters are used. Look for (as I said) Beautiful Day, Boppity, that Pink Frackle that Looks like him, another Frackle that looks like Boppity without ears and a longer beak, Luncheon Counter Monster, and a pinapple from Sesame Street.

5) That I know of, this is the only Non-JHH apperance of Digit.

Jeffrey Gray

Reaction score
I think this was being done when Henson was doing MV3D or M@WDW, so most of the main group was busy (that's why Jim and Frank weren't involved, and Richard only did Statler). I do know this was made when Jim was still alive...

Salmoto

Reaction score
Cliff's Nightmare....

Clifford: Yoyoyo Rizzo, I had the wildest dream.

Rizzo: Yeh, what's that?

Clifford: I dreamt I took over Kermit's job as emcee and I had to put on this show week after week with nothing but two annoying pigs and some poodle-hair guy.

Rizzo: Well I got news for you, you weren't dreaming. In fact, you're on in3 minutes.....

Clifford: Aw, man, can I at least raid the snack table first?

Rizzo: ....Ok, make it quick....

Jeffrey Gray

Reaction score
I will restate: Jim Henson did not work on this special. Jim, as well as Frank and most of the other main puppeteers, were working on something else (since this was made in late 1989, probably The Muppets at Walt Disney World, or MuppetVision 3D).

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score

Actually, I've read in the epguide that the episode aired after Henson died and the episode was used as a tribute to his memory. I could be wrong about that though. Does anyone know when that ep will air on Nick at Nite?

beaker

Reaction score
Actually if I recall the episode aired in late 1989 or no later than January 1990. It was in later subsequent repeats the in memroium of JH thing was added.

And sadly, I missed this reairing...why did they replace classic Cosby with the nwer CBS Cosby? arghhhhh

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score

I know. I thought the new "Cosby" was really good and all, but I really do want to see "Cliff's Nightmare" on the original series. I think it's on in syndication on a channel I only get in the dorm and not at home and I won't be in the dorm at the time they play it on that channel. *sigh* That's sort of why I asked about Nick at Nite. I might be able to catch it then.

Jeffrey Gray

Reaction score
Beaker: The episode's original air date was January 11, 1990. And you're right about [network] reruns being dedicated to Jim Henson (however, the syndicated reruns don't have the dedication at the end...)

Drtooth

Reaction score
Originally posted by Jeffrey Gray
Beaker: The episode's original air date was January 11, 1990. And you're right about [network] reruns being dedicated to Jim Henson (however, the syndicated reruns don't have the dedication at the end...)

Well, I saw the dedication at the end of the one I taped.

I think that this may heve been made when Jim started to fall ill or something. I know Dave Golez was an intrigal part of the episode.