Coco Fans Unite!

vaati64

Reaction score
Guys and Gals of Muppetcentral:

If you haven't already, please join the Im with Coco grou on Facebook. We're over 200,000 strong, and could always use more supporters. Please join and show your support for Conan! It's unfair that NBC is giving Jay Leno back the 11:35 timeslot! Together, we can show NBC that they have made a HUGE mistake! Please join! Even if you don't have a Facebook yet, make one, join the group, add the photo as your avatar, and thats it! Thanks and hope to see you there!

http://www.facebook.com/imwithcoco?ref=nf

DrmaticEmphasis

Reaction score
I am a fan of a couple Team Coco groups... but despite our anger... I do believe our show of CoCo solidarity will do absolutely notta.

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
Well, it may keep the media focus on him enough to net him a better parting deal and a good deal at a new program. So that's still worthwhile.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I am a fan of a couple Team Coco groups... but despite our anger... I do believe our show of CoCo solidarity will do absolutely notta.
Maily because It's too late for anything

It's such a shame that NBC's stupidity and Leno's unprofessional greediness and babyish behavior Conan got kicked out of the Tonight Show... similar things that happened to David Letterman, who fled the network after being passed up for Jay when Johnny retired.

What I keep hearing, and it's complete and utter bull, is all this whining about how Jay was forced off because they only care about young money and that the older viewers don't matter anymore. BULL! Shenanigans! AARP agenda!

I really hope Jay is greeted with bad ratings and an angry studio audience.

Frogster

Reaction score
Maily because It's too late for anything

It's such a shame that NBC's stupidity and Leno's unprofessional greediness and babyish behavior Conan got kicked out of the Tonight Show... similar things that happened to David Letterman, who fled the network after being passed up for Jay when Johnny retired.

What I keep hearing, and it's complete and utter bull, is all this whining about how Jay was forced off because they only care about young money and that the older viewers don't matter anymore. BULL! Shenanigans! AARP agenda!

I really hope Jay is greeted with bad ratings and an angry studio audience.
I couldn't agree more. I'm boycotting The Tonight Show once Conan leaves. I hope there will me thousands of others who do the same thing.

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
Watching the last Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien right now. I think it's pretty classless for NBC to give O'Brien the shaft, even though they did not give him no more than 7 months to try to draw people into watching his Tonight Show. Leno had several years before he was beating Letterman, but I guess NBC forgot about that.

I think it's stupid 5 years ago NBC wanting Jay to leave his Tonight Show and promote Conan to the host of the Tonight Show, only to kick Conan off of the Tonight Show 7 months after his first show.

The only thing I can think of as to why Jay is going back to the Tonight Show is he has a staff that needs money and if told NBC no in getting the Tongiht Show back then Leno's staff would be struggling to find some sort of employment.

However, Jay should have left NBC after his last show of the Tonight Show and either retired or go to another network. I think the only reason NBC wanted Jay to continue to be on NBC by giving him is own show in primetime was to make sure he didn't go to another network such as FOX or ABC and get all the ratings. What would be funny is if the Tonight Show with Jay Leno comes back on and does as bad or worse in the ratings after firing Conan.

This all on NBC who can't manage their shows.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I don't think Jay's past viewership will be there for him when he comes back to the Tonight Show. I seldom watched his program anyway.

Conan's middling ratings were due to many issues. He was new to the time slot and didn't have much time to gain an audience before Jay's icky program came on to cut the legs out from the entire NBC lineup that followed it.

It's dishonest for Jay to claim Conan had 7 full months to cultivate his show, brand it as his own and differentiate it from David Letterman's Late Show. Technically, Jay Leno was given between May 25, 1992 - July 10, 1995 (the Hugh Grant interview) to gain a substantial following and beat David Letterman. That's over three years.

Ultimately, the late night ratings wars boil down to guests. The Tonight Show is in Burbank, The Late Show is in Manhattan. There are just more stars available in Hollywood therefore Conan would have likely edged out Dave with time.

I prefer Dave. Conan's a close second and Leno has never made my list. His humor just isn't that funny to me, but he's consistent and American's like that sort of thing I guess. I just don't think they'll like how he got his show back.

I hope Conan inks some sort of Deal with Fox for a show at 11:00pm that gets the jump on the competition. I think he could do very well!

dwayne1115

Reaction score
The first thing Conan needs to do is start his own prodution comapny. I also think he should do some kind of work on the net, even if he is just shooting videos or something.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I don't think Jay's past viewership will be there for him when he comes back to the Tonight Show. I seldom watched his program anyway.
As Frogster so eloquently put it, I wouldn't give Jay the satisfaction of having me watch it, and I'd hope thousands of others do the same.

Conan's middling ratings were due to many issues. He was new to the time slot and didn't have much time to gain an audience before Jay's icky program came on to cut the legs out from the entire NBC lineup that followed it.

It's dishonest for Jay to claim Conan had 7 full months to cultivate his show, brand it as his own and differentiate it from David Letterman's Late Show. Technically, Jay Leno was given between May 25, 1992 - July 10, 1995 (the Hugh Grant interview) to gain a substantial following and beat David Letterman. That's over three years.
That's the exact problem right there... impatience. It's like what's going on politically in this country... people are so impatient that they want things back to the crappy way they were before, rather than bother waiting for something good to happen. I'm not going deeply into that, though... but it's the same thing. NBC is impatient with the ratings, and a 10 PM hour long talk show wasn't that great an idea anyway... but ratings of new shows are either extremely high, but keep losing views as the show goes on, or the show has a slow start and gradually climbs higher and higher. The ones that are the latter tend to last longer.

NBC was the network that gave us Seinfeld, which was a ratings disaster that kept jumping around night to night, timeslot to timeslot until they settled it on Thursdays (a big risk)... and after they gave it time, it became the biggest thing to hit sitcoms since Ralph Kramden threatened to send Alice to the Moon. And it would have been nothing more than a midseason replacement or something had they not had the vision and patience. But that's TV's market today. They have so much competition from the internet, they're scrambling to make the exact same money as they did when it took 3 hours to download a 3 second clip.

However, Jay should have left NBC after his last show of the Tonight Show and either retired or go to another network. I think the only reason NBC wanted Jay to continue to be on NBC by giving him is own show in primetime was to make sure he didn't go to another network such as FOX or ABC and get all the ratings. What would be funny is if the Tonight Show with Jay Leno comes back on and does as bad or worse in the ratings after firing Conan.
That's it precisely. Leno clearly had second thoughts about retirement and threatened to go to another network. I don't know exactly how he planned to do it, but he clearly thought that if he whined and moaned and threatened enough, NBC would cave into what ever he demanded. I say he should have just gone to Fox... besides, his comedy routine and guests have gotten pretty conservative lately (2 overpaid crackpots who will remain nameless). Seems like he was wooing them all the time. Had David Letterman been the host of the Tonight Show (Which NBC cheated him out of, which is why he's on CBS) he would have graciously stepped down and shared his spotlight with a younger, fresher host. Jay just reminds me of Daffy Duck lately. Only Jay wins everything.

Even Elmo occasionally shares his spotlight.

Frogster

Reaction score
I gotta say, I loved last night's show. It showed what kind of person Conan really is, and I'm proud of him. He doesn't want people to be cynical, which is admirable, and he thanked NBC for the opportunities they've given him over the span of 20+ years. He didn't call Jay "Jay 'Big Jaw' Leno" or get on a 10@10 segment and rip Jay apart like we all probably thought he should have. He is hurt by what he had to do but he really showed bravery. And I think we can all take a little something from that. He's a better individual than Leno, Letterman and Kimmel. He's very professional.

Leno, you had a chance to shine by graciously stepping aside and letting Conan do his thing. You got lucky when Johnny snubbed Letterman back in 1992, and I was hoping that, when this stuff was starting, you would be the one to pass the buck onto Conan. He's always been very respectable towards you, and he's also been respectable towards Fallon (even though I honestly don't know many people who watch him). Right now you're looking like Garth Brooks, Brett Favre and Jerry Falwell... he doesn't know when to quit. He should have thought ahead to the possibility of people not liking him for not cutting Conan a break and letting him keep his spot.

And on a side note, although I've never cared much for Leno, I thought that, before this fiasco, Letterman is a childish, rude, crass and thoughtless individual. His jokes come off with a hint of malice. I'm not a fan of Palin by any means, but he stepped over the line with that one. Also, I think it's kinda pathetic that everyone showed Letterman such support for sleeping around on his wife with all those CBS ladies. He didn't have a choice BUT to come forward. He's a late-night talk show host, so how hypocritical would that been of him to try hiding it and paying the guy off, and then later have this all revealed? He's not any better than Tiger.

Now I see Leno's not any better than Letterman.