Coco Fans Unite!

Super Scooter

Reaction score
I forgot last night was Conan's last episode, and missed all but the very end. But what an ending! A beautiful speech from Conan, and a great jam session.

I've always loved Conan's show, and what has happened is just lousy. Even though he got the money that he did to leave, it's obvious he still cares about his show and what he does.

:cry: Bye-bye, Conan! Hopefully we'll see you again somewhere come September! :zany:

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
If Jay decided to leave at the end of May when he had his last show with the Tonight Show, waited several months to almost a year so his contract with NBC would expire and move over to Fox with his entire staff to do another late night show that would competing with Conan, Dave, and Night Line, my guess would be Leno's show would be drawing in the ratings. Let's face it, no matter if Jay had stale jokes, he knew he could bring in the numbers, and I'm betting odds if he went over to Fox after his contract with NBC ended, he would do the exact same thing, leaving the NBC execs to speculate if it was really necessary to let Jay go while making Conan the Tonight Show host.

According to Jay after a few days ago while explaing this entire thing to his audience on his prime time show, he was informed Conan was getting offers from other networks in 2004 to go do a late night show for them. The only way NBC could keep Conan from leaving was to offer him the Tonight Show within a time frame, which ended up being 5 years down the road. So NBC told Jay to let the show go to Conan even though Jay's ratings were #1. If that was the case, Leno should have just said to himself "to heck with these idiots who are forcing me out. Come the end of my contract, I'm going over to another network to develop my late night show".

But the only reason it seems why Jay said he would go back to host the Tonight Show is he has close to 200 people on his staff that rely on him for employment. If he had decided to leave along with Conan, forcing NBC to find a new host for the Tonight Show, I think everyone would have said Jay is a good man for leaving that crazy place. But even though Jay would be fine money wise, his staff would be unemployed in a state that has a higher unemployment rate than the majority of the enitire country, and I don't think that is something Jay wanted to live with. But he could be using that excuse to say it was an acceptable move to go back as host of the Tonight Show even though in reality he just really wanted his old show back regardless.

Personally I like Jay. However, he really should have left at the end of his era of being host of the Tonight Show to go to another network to do his own late night show. It would have worked out for him because everyone who missed Jay in the 11:35 time slot would enjoy seeing him again. Not to many people watched his show on prime time because either 1.) people forgot about it 2.) people had other shows to watch 3.) both 1 and 2.

With him going back to host the Tonight Show after he retired isn't good for his image. If ratings with him returning as host of the Tonight Show tank month, after month, after month and continue to do so, NBC is going to be stuck with their boneheaded decision and will suffer the consequences. They're not going to get rid of Jay but will have to suffer through the horrible ratings they forced onto themselves.

Of course that's my opinion if that scenario takes place.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I don't think NBC was permitting Jay to go to another network after the Tonight Show. He was still under the NBC umbrella until they decided to release him - or so Jay has said. I agree, he should have just stayed on and permitted Conan to leave if that's what he wanted. It doesn't really seem like Jay was pushed out, it looks like he changed his mind.

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
Anybody catch the interview Oprah did with Jay last thursday?

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Anybody catch the interview Oprah did with Jay last thursday?
I caught some of it. He seems to be repeating the same blame-game that happened years ago with Dave. Nothing is Jay's fault. He's the victim. I bet he's counting on the idea that most people have ADD like the majority of his viewers and won't remember the last few months. :rolleyes:

Team Coco! :super:

Drtooth

Reaction score
You know what? I'm starting to really hate Tiger Woods for what he did now... if he didn't do that, Jay wouldn't have had ANY material.

Seriously, before this crap started happening, everytime I accidentally caught a little of his monologue it would always be the same tired jokes bout Tiger Woods, over and over.

Frogster

Reaction score
True, Leno is has no talent. I dare you guys, if you're ever forced to watch his show again, to count how many times the audience isn't really laughing for any other reason than to be polite.

And thanks to the one person to actually did say something nice about the video.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
So what did Jimmy Kimmel get all upset about? Leno said something in the Oprah interview that made him all upset, but i have never figuered out what.

Drtooth

Reaction score
True, Leno is has no talent. I dare you guys, if you're ever forced to watch his show again, to count how many times the audience isn't really laughing for any other reason than to be polite.
You know... I have to admit, I like Jay when he's on Fairly Oddparents. And he was kinda enjoayble in Igor.

I think that's the problem right there... he's a fun voice actor, just a lousy TV host.

But really... I foresee the Late Show being nothing but a solid hour of Tiger Woods jokes. Dude has turned into a BAD MadTV parody of himself.