College: Is/was it worth it?

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
For some of you who on the verge of going to college, this thread isn't meant to scare you. For those of you who are in college, this thread is not meant to scare you either. But it's time for a reality check.

Was college worth your time and money when you got your degree in whatever you majored in?

There seems to be a market of too many people with bachelor degrees and not enough good jobs out there. People are now saying the bachelor degree is now the new high school diploma. Also bachelor degrees don't have the weight they had 20 years ago that could secure you with a good job. Now there are people out there with bachelor degrees who are working in jobs that require a high school diploma and are making less money than what they thought they would be making.

What's worse is that people who have horrible low paying jobs who graduated college also have to pay off their student loans.

Then on top of that, there are people out there who have a degree who can't find a job, like myself.

I graduated almost two years ago and still can't find a good job. I've had several jobs that laid me off and were only paying me about 7.50 or less. There's nothing I can do about that though. But some people might place blame on me because I can't find a good job. I am trying though.

After two years and not having a somewhat of a good paying job and still struggling, I think college was not worth it.

That's my two cents on college.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
The job market is very difficult right now, it's true. And it's also true that a lot more people have Bachelors than ever before. But it's still highly valued, it can mean the difference between getting a job, or not. It's possible to do well without being a college graduate, but you're more likely to succeed having been to college. So yes, college is definitely worth it.

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
Well I don't forcast the future for employment, but if the job market continues to be like it is, people are going to have a hard time finding a good job with a bachelore degree. Which might explain why more and more companies require one with a masters degree.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
That's very true, a lot more employeers are requesting Masters degrees now.

It's important to remember that job hunting is difficult for everyone, even if it doesn't seem that way. You just have to keep trying.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
That is a really good question. I guess you just have to ask your self if college is for you. Because some people feel that it's not for them. My personal opinion is that even though a bachelor degree is not what it used to be that you shoud try and go for it anyway. I think that your better off with it then without it. But jobs a requireing more and more that you need a masters if you wan't a good job, though! Oh boy, are you ever right about it being hard to fing a good paying jod with a bachelor's. there are so many things to factors it with that. one of my professors was dicussing to us about this, and generations had quite a bit to do with it. Like how the baby boomers are up next for retirement, but most of thm are at the top and they are not quitting and letting go of their jobs. and in the middle are the "gen xers" who are pushing there way to the top but are having a time doing it because everyone's keeping there jobs above them. And then on the botten is us, the "Y" people (the boomers children) who out number the boomers and and "scrapping" at the botton with so many people it really tough. It's so compative and scarce that it's almost impossible to get work. even with a degree. But I wish you the best of luck on finding the job that you are loking for, however!:smile:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Very true Ilikemuppets, things are very tough. Though many baby boomers can't afford to retire right now.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Tht's also true and something very important to consider, too.

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
For me, college was the best thing I ever did with my life and my proudest moment in life so far would have to be graduating in four years with my bachleors degree. My parents helped me out so it wasn't too much of a financial burden on my part but even if it was, it was still worth it. It's not just the classroom learning experience though that made my time there worth it, it's the relationships I made, the experiences I had with clubs and organizations that offered me leadership practices. My college became my second home and even three years later it still is like home to me whenever I go to visit. And it does make a difference when looking for a job. My husband only has an associates degree, which is still good, but had great difficulty in finding a job when he was out of work recently because he didn't have a bachleors degree. But again, it really depends on the person, this is just my personal experience.

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
Well even though I've heard a bachelors degree, regardless of what major you studied, can help you, but with me I'm just having a difficult time finding a job.

Oh and when I was in college, all I did was go to class, study, and go to the gym. I didn't meet anyone at the school to form a friendship with, though everyone at the university I went to didn't have any friends either. Funny......

D'Snowth

Reaction score
For some of you who on the verge of going to college, this thread isn't meant to scare you. For those of you who are in college, this thread is not meant to scare you either. But it's time for a reality check.

Was college worth your time and money when you got your degree in whatever you majored in?

There seems to be a market of too many people with bachelor degrees and not enough good jobs out there. People are now saying the bachelor degree is now the new high school diploma. Also bachelor degrees don't have the weight they had 20 years ago that could secure you with a good job. Now there are people out there with bachelor degrees who are working in jobs that require a high school diploma and are making less money than what they thought they would be making.

What's worse is that people who have horrible low paying jobs who graduated college also have to pay off their student loans.

Then on top of that, there are people out there who have a degree who can't find a job, like myself.

I graduated almost two years ago and still can't find a good job. I've had several jobs that laid me off and were only paying me about 7.50 or less. There's nothing I can do about that though. But some people might place blame on me because I can't find a good job. I am trying though.

After two years and not having a somewhat of a good paying job and still struggling, I think college was not worth it.

That's my two cents on college.
College ain't the real reason behind this, the real reason behind this is the four-lettered word: B.U.S.H. Ever since Bush went into office, unemployment rates have gone up; my dad will be the first one to tell you he hasn't been able to hold a steady job since Bush went into office, and my dad's Republican, so whatever happened to that whole "Republicans always help the Republicans" thing? Last year, however, my dad FINALLY settled into the job, but other than that, since Bush went into office in 2000, my dad has gone through five jobs in five and a half years, and they've all been the same: truck driving: something he doesn't want to do, but is the only kind of job he can get now because he's in his 60s now, and the kind of jobs he wants only go to people in like their 20s and 30s. There was a moment during those years where he was unemployed for three months and we fell behind in bills, and just when I thought we were finally done moving, we moved again, and again, and again.
Not only that, but my dad's also almost 65, which means he'll be old enough to retire, but because of the jobs he's had, he can't even afford retirement, so that really puts a damper on himself.

Again, all of that started when George "What?" Bush went into office, so I highly doubt college is the real villain in this situation.