Columbia's Muppet Show Vol. 1-2 Specs

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
More official news from Columbia, this time for volumes 1-2 of the Muppet Show DVD's and tapes.

COLUMBIA TRISTAR HOME ENTERTAINMENT
AND JIM HENSON HOME ENTERTAINMENT CELEBRATE
THE 25TH ANNIVERSARY OF THE MUPPETS
WITH THE RELEASE OF

==========================
BEST OF THE MUPPET SHOW
==========================

Classic Episodes From The Emmy Award-Winning TV Series Featuring Guest Stars Elton John, Julie Andrews, Gene Kelly, Paul Simon, Raquel Welch and Mark Hamill

Available To Own On Video and DVD Sept. 3

Culver City, Calif. (July 8, 2002) - Celebrating the 25th Anniversary of The Muppet Show, Columbia TriStar Home Entertainment and Jim Henson Home Entertianment will release two new video & DVD collections featuring classic episodes from the much-loved television series.

BEST OF THE MUPPET SHOW - ELTON/JULIE/GENE and BEST OF THE MUPPET SHOW - MARK/PAUL/RAQUEL each contain three episodes highlighted by special guest stars that join in the Muppet mayhem including Elton John, Paul Simon, Gene Kelly, Mark Hamill, Julie Andrews and Raquel Welch. Available to own Sept. 3 each volume of Best of The Muppet Show will be priced at $14.95 for VHS and $24.95 for DVD.

For nearly five decades Jim Henson's Muppets have entertained audiences worldwide with the mission of "making the world a better place by inspiring people to celebrate life." From comedy to creativity, innovation to irreverence, performance to puppetry, the Muppets truly embody the best of all of these talents and qualities, and so much more.

"The Muppet Show" debuted in syndication on September 26, 1976 and continued for five seasons with 120 shows, catapulting the characters into superstardom in more than 100 countries. The Muppets have won more than 40 Emmy Awards and nominations. The Muppets remain international superstars with timeless appeal, best known for their clowning, conjuring, quirkiness and kindness.

This wildly popular series features Kermit the Frog, Miss Piggy, Fozzie Bear, Rowlf the Dog, Scooter, The Great Gonzo, and a myriad of other Muppets as they work together to put on a variety show. Emceed by Kermit, the show includes comedy sketches, musical numbers, death-defying feats, and satirical vaudeville routines.

Each volume of the BEST OF THE MUPPET SHOW contains three hilarious, uncut episodes that are jam-packed with all the outrageous skits, music hits, great guest stars and Muppet moments everyone loves...plus some extra laugh-out-loud tunes and sketches never before broadcast in North America. Also included are special introductions by Brian Henson.

BEST OF THE MUPPET SHOW - Elton/Julie/Gene

Elton John: The pop superstar takes center stage with outrageous costumes and some of his greatest hits, including "Crocodile Rock" and "Don't Go Breaking My Heart."

Julie Andrews: The beloved musical star yodels the tale of a lonely goat herd, serenades Kermit, and whistles a happy tune in the company of giant monsters.

Gene Kelly: The legendary musical-comedy star gives Kermit a dance lesson, performs a romantic duet with Miss Piggy, and sings a medley of tunes from his classic movies.

BEST OF THE MUPPET SHOW - Mark/Paul/Raquel

Mark Hamill: Luke Skywalker, C-3P0, and R2-D2 hijack the crew from "Pigs in Space" to rescue Chewbacca, then join in a big "star" tunes finale in a galaxy far, far away.

Paul Simon: The popular singer-songwriter has a run-in with the law while performing "Scarborough Fair" with Miss Piggy and joins the Muppet band for a rollicking "Loves Me Like a Rock."

Raquel Welch: The international sex symbol goes prehistoric to sing and dance with a giant spider and teams with Miss Piggy for a show-stopping "I Am Woman"

The DVD release of BEST OF THE MUPPET SHOW - ELTON/JULIE/GENE will feature some exciting added value elements including "Did You Know?", "Movie Mania: Flipperdance" and "Muppet Moments: Floyd and Kermit." BEST OF THE MUPPET SHOW - MARK/PAUL/RAQUEL DVD release also contains "Did You Know?," "Movie Mania: Yoda Screen Test" and "Muppet Moments: Miss Piggy."

BEST OF THE MUPPET SHOW
Not Rated
Color
Closed-Captioned
80 minutes
SLP: $14.95
Elton/Julie/Gene VHS Slipsleeve #09401 / UPC #0-43396-09401-7
Mark/Paul/Raquel VHS Slipsleeve #09403 / UPC #0-43396-09403-1

DVD SPECS
DVD Format: Full Screen
Sound: English Mono
Languages: English
Subtitles: n/a
SLP: $24.95
Elton/Julie/Gene DVD #09402 / UPC #0-43396-09402-4
Mark/Paul/Raquel DVD #09404 / UPC #0-43396-09404-8

Dr Teeth

Reaction score
Are these the EXACT same ones that you can get from Time-Life? I was going to order the set of all 10 DVD from Time-Life but didn't know if I should wait until these ones came out from Columbia. Any help would be appreicated. :big_grin:

gringo

Reaction score
I believe the new ones do not have the extra skit from Europe, which the Time-Life versions do. Plus the T-L are cheaper. In the other thread on this topic, someone posted a coupon where it takes 25% off.

Mark

EmmyMik

Reaction score
While I don't have the Time-Life DVDs (I only gots the tapes), it looks like these DVDs are the same as the Time-Life ones. It looks like that the UK skits will still be included...

plus some extra laugh-out-loud tunes and sketches never before broadcast in North America.
And on the Time-Life says:

Scenes never before released in North America.
That's just my guess...

scarecroe

Reaction score
Great! So now my question is, how frequently will these be released? Two volumes every month perhaps? Will they be regular intervals between releases? All this of course is to determine how soon we'll be getting our hands on volumes 16-20!

gymkatarules

Reaction score
I shake in anticipation of volumes 11-20. The Time Life DVDs are the absolute best. Still, can't wait to have the Lynda Carter, Madeline Kahn and Mummenschanz episodes on DVD, so I'll definitely be picking up the Columbia titles when they come out. Please hurry, Sony!

-Chris