Comedy Central: Sadness Knows No Limits

Cantus Rock

Reaction score
Today in Animation News:

Comedy Central resurrects 4 animated series. They are: Dilbert, Clerks, Mike and Gary, and Undergrads. Now, you may be thinking to yourself "well, whats so sad about that?" Well, let me tell you:

Dilbert - 30 half hour episodes. This is fine. 30 eps is a good amount to work with. Keep the material fresh for a while.

Undergrads, Mike and Gary - 13 half hour episodes each. Now, 13 episodes isn't very good for variety. I mean, you got a solid 13 weeks..then, reruns. :frown:

now, the kicker...

Clerks - 6 half hour episodes. Oh thats right folks, 6. Now, I guess this boads well with the Kevin Smith fans whos lost episodes will be shown, but I mean...6 freakin episodes and they keep it on with a perminent time slot?!?!?! What are these people thinking?!?!

Now again, you might be thinking "well, the have 6 solid weeks, right Matt?" Hehe, the answer to that question; NO! THEY ARE RUNNING A BLEMMIN MARATHON OF THE EPISODES! So, should anyone tape it, they get everything they want, all episodes in tact, and never have to watch again! MORONS!

Ever since the MST crisis I've always been pretty much anti-CC. With the exception of UCB (one of my fav. shows of all time, which I have every episode of btw), I think most everything they have turned out has been pure and utter CRAP. I also do like Trigger Happy TV, but that is where it ends. Then they have sophmoric garbage like the Man Show. Cancel the great toons of our time like the Critic and Duckman, throw out the League of Gentlemen...God, what a horrible network.

Sorry, thought I should share that info on the toons with you. I'm going to go be angry now. :smile:

-Matt

Billy's Girl

Reaction score
It's times like these I love the fact I live in a valley where we get two channels ONLY!!!

But I know what you mean Matt - When we have holidays out of the wilderness and come across channels like 'The Cartoon Network' they seem to play bad cartoon shows that no one watched the first time around and yet they show them 24 hours a day - and people pay for these channels!!!

grail

Reaction score
only 2 channels?!?! good god woman, i think i'd die of information withdrawl...

oh and Matt, buddy, pal, amigo...simmer down. i've read the actual press release. i don't remember a mention of a permanent time slot for Clerks...just the marathon (probably with Kevin Smith bumpers too...he does love to pimp his stuff). besides, if they DID give it an actual spot in rotation, they'd probably pair it with Undergrads...show a couple of that, then a Clerks ep...another couple, then another Clerks ep, and so on. or show all of one, then all of another. together they make 19 episodes...not a bad number for one season on a weekly basis.

furthermore...i have a feeling that if ANY of the four do well, there's a chance of new episodes. with, oddly enough the exception of Clerks. i mean, if they bought the contract, what's keeping them from doing new stuff...if they can get parties involved to agree, of course. i mean...what's Daniel Stern doing right now? or Kathie Griffin (who, as it turns out is a voice in 2 of those cartoons)?

and why do i think there couldn't be any more episodes of Clerks? two reasons:

1) it was made by ABC...which means Disney...and with as much crap as Smith started when he got the shaft, i doubt they'll be willing to let go of anything they have permanently...just to spite him.

2) Jason Mewes is a fugative. he was arrested awhile back on heroin possession, missed his court date, missed his court date again, and has gone missing. last i heard, no one knew where he was, and they were starting to think he was either dead, or in another country. from what i hear, good old Kev's NOT Jay's biggest fan right now. especially since Mewes was apparantly clean through both Dogma and Jay and Silent Bob Strike back...

it's a shame really...he was actually starting to grow on me as a "real" actor. shame to see raw talent like that "wasted"...so to speak...

Gonzo

Reaction score
Jay's on the lam? Wow. Life imitates Art.

Quinnnnnnnnnnnn

pezbalubah

Reaction score
Yeah Jay is just bad news, he use to go into this Suncoast store in I believe Monmouth Mall and smoke in the store and he'd cause a huge scene when they asked him not to smoke.

beaker

Reaction score
Matt, what the heck are you complaining about? Clerks, Dilbert, etc now added to CC? Man I wish I had cable! Do they still show The Tick, Critic, and Upright Citizen's Brigade? Oh boy I havent had cable in awhile. I think its the cookie cutter 'acid hana barbara' shows of Cartoon Network original programming that finds me dismay.

Cantus Rock

Reaction score
Originally posted by grail

oh and Matt, buddy, pal, amigo...simmer down. i've read the actual press release. i don't remember a mention of a permanent time slot for Clerks...just the marathon (probably with Kevin Smith bumpers too...he does love to pimp his stuff). besides, if they DID give it an actual spot in rotation, they'd probably pair it with Undergrads...show a couple of that, then a Clerks ep...another couple, then another Clerks ep, and so on. or show all of one, then all of another. together they make 19 episodes...not a bad number for one season on a weekly basis.
Well, this is the statement I saw on the release:

GARY & MIKE and UNDERGRADS will premiere on November 3, 2002 and play every Sunday at midnight. DILBERT and CLERKS will fill the same time slot beginning February 3.

Now, hopefully that will be a free-form thing (fitting in perfectly with CCs previous slot-changes and whatnot).

-Matt

grail

Reaction score
i musta missed that line, but like i suggested they might do, they're combining them. that way you don't get sick of seeing the same thing over and over...and i think it's interesting that this puts CC's cartoons on just as Adult Swim is ending on Cartoon Network...coincidence?

Billy's Girl

Reaction score
Originally posted by grail
only 2 channels?!?! good god woman, i think i'd die of information withdrawl...

We have one channel with all the news, documentries etc on it and one channel that has all the funny shows on it. What more could anyone possibly need?

grail

Reaction score
well...with digital cable, i have about 250 channels. sure i only watch about 6 of them with a regularity, but that's beside the point...how do you channel surf on 2 channels? it'd be like surfboarding in a swimming pool...