Comic book readers

brkndwnbus

Reaction score
Just a general topic here for anyone to join in on with what they enjoy reading. For years, I used to trade wait on books as I found them easier and more enjoyable to read in collected form. However, I switched - for some titles - to picking up issues monthly. I like having Wednesdays to look forward to now.

Current faves:
Saga
Daredevil (Mark Waid's run has been great to read)
Batman, Incorporated (Grant Morrison's six-year run writing Batman is coming to an end in June. This is my favorite Batman-related book at the moment. And what Morrison did in last month's issue was a heartbreaker. )
Batman (Greg Capullo's art is fantastic)
American Vampire

Anyone else read any of those titles or have any they really enjoy?

Scooterforever

Reaction score
Just a general topic here for anyone to join in on with what they enjoy reading. For years, I used to trade wait on books as I found them easier and more enjoyable to read in collected form. However, I switched - for some titles - to picking up issues monthly. I like having Wednesdays to look forward to now.

Current faves:
Saga
Daredevil (Mark Waid's run has been great to read)
Batman, Incorporated (Grant Morrison's six-year run writing Batman is coming to an end in June. This is my favorite Batman-related book at the moment. And what Morrison did in last month's issue was a heartbreaker. )
Batman (Greg Capullo's art is fantastic)
American Vampire

Anyone else read any of those titles or have any they really enjoy?
DAREDEVIL, one of my all time favorite superheroes! Dude, I've loved DD for years, and he's had so many great stories from writers such as Kevin Smith, Brian Michael Bendis, Frank Miller, Ann Nocenti, Stan Lee and Jeph Loeb. Easily one of my top 3 fav superheros of all time. I'm also a Spider-man superfan. I prefer the old stuff, including the Lee/ Ditko/Romita classics, but Dan Slott's been doing great things with Spidey lately. Also, as far indie characters go, I'm a big Judge Dredd fan; got Judge Dredd: The Complete Case files vol 2 for Christmas and loved every page.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I mostly read adapted works based on TV shows. And quite honestly, there's been such an uptick in quality in the past 20 years. You're actually reading episodes of the series now. Heck, Garfield comics are partially written by Mark Evainer, who wrote the original Garfield and Friends cartoon. Then of course, there's Archie's video game lines. They've done such a great job so far on Mega Man. That's like the only thing the franchise has, since Capcom keeps cancelling games.

As for original comics, I really miss Snarked. It had such a wonderfully bittersweet ending, but I really miss Wilburforce J Walrus and McDunk. I hope Roger somehow revisits the characters someday. I'm very happy with his work on Popeye, but it sounds like it's going to disappear at the 12 issue mark.

brkndwnbus

Reaction score
I didn't jump on Daredevil until Waid took over. I've read some of the trades before, but Waid is what hooked me to pick it up monthly.

Spidey is on my list to dig in to more. I plan on grabbing some nice deals at some con shows. I've been keeping up with what Slott has been doing just from the many comic-based podcasts I listen to.

I haven't tried works based on TV shows, though I have some of Roger's Muppet stuff. He was real nice at last year's Baltimore Comicon. He'll be there again this year so I'll try and get him to sign some more Muppet issues, and maybe get him to draw a character. I really like his art.

DannyRWW

Reaction score
Dropped most of my DC books after the new 52..been reading Green Lantern still.....and Thor from Marvel...but my best read is the new IDW Transformer comics...very creative and very different with a focus on characters other than Optimus and Megatron...... and I read My Little Pony comics...but just for my daughters :smile:

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Although they're not as common as they used to be, I love browsing through comic book shops. I was never big on superheroes, but LOVED the funnies! Gimme a Dell Giant Bugs Bunny from the 50's and I'm a happy guy.

One of my favorite series ever was Vicki Wyman's Xanadu (late 80's-early 90's), from the now-defunct MU Press. (Some titles on Eclipse Comics). Beautiful artwork, fantastic stories, great character development, she's the yardstick I'd measure any series to.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I haven't tried works based on TV shows, though I have some of Roger's Muppet stuff. He was real nice at last year's Baltimore Comicon. He'll be there again this year so I'll try and get him to sign some more Muppet issues, and maybe get him to draw a character. I really like his art.
I highly recommend Popeye. It goes all the way back to Popeye's true Thimble Theater roots, and it borders on complete forgery. That's how amazing Roger is. I've been literally begging for some Popeye project to go back to Thimble Theater instead of those eat Spinach, punch Bluto cartoons. Sadly, those are better known.

Scooterforever

Reaction score
I highly recommend Popeye. It goes all the way back to Popeye's true Thimble Theater roots, and it borders on complete forgery. That's how amazing Roger is. I've been literally begging for some Popeye project to go back to Thimble Theater instead of those eat Spinach, punch Bluto cartoons. Sadly, those are better known.
I really want to check out Popeye and The Rocketeer, being a big Langridge fan. I met him at a comic-con this year and he's a nice guy. Too bad he refuses to do Marvel or DC work right now; I'd love to see his take on Spider-man, Green Lantern, and other favorites of mine. Still, I admire his integrity.

brkndwnbus

Reaction score
My wife and I enjoy just going to our two local shops and browsing, even if we don't make a purchase. We also like to go around to some not in the immediate area just to check shops out. I was in Pittsburgh the other week and came across one of the coolest shops I'd ever been in. The shop carried some really old and classic Marvel and DC stuff. It also had a Walking Dead #1. All of which were way out of my price range. Way out.

http://www.eides.com/

The website is unappealing and outdated, but you can get a sense of some of the really cool stuff it had.

Scooterforever

Reaction score
I'm also a huge Punisher fan, but I don't go around saying it b/c he's kind of a controversial character, being a serial killer and all. Punisher MAX was just an amazing series, almost every story was fantastic. Garth Ennis' run can never be topped, and contains some of the greatest Punisher stories that will ever exist, including "The Slavers," "In The Beginning," and "Widowmaker." Jason Aaaron's run, while not as well received, was also very good. Not for the squeamish or sensitive, as it is a MAX title, and there's A LOT of language and violence.