1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Save Muppet Central Radio
    Within days Muppet Central Radio could be off the air. Show your support and save the station by listening via Radionomy's website and apps. We're also on iTunes and Apple TV. Learn More

Commercial rant time...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Drtooth, Aug 15, 2009.

1. Pig's Laundry

Pig's Laundry Well-Known Member

Indeed that is true, but i'd say it's okay to share this particular commercial around because, like I said before, the store has closed it's doors.

2. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

What I want to know is . . . why are we still obsessing over 9-11? I get it was a national tragedy and a lot of innocent people lost their lives that day from a terrorist attack that led us to a never-ending war in the middle east, but it almost feels like some people (and by some, I mean mostly the far right) are actually proud of it. Greg Proops even mentioned this in his stand-up act once when he was riffing about Bush, saying, "he is proud of the biggest ****-up in the history of ****." With all the tragedies that have gone down in the history of our world, it just seems like so many people fall back on 9-11 like it's a cherished memory the way grizzled old war veterans look back on their battlefield conquests. I'm not saying we shouldn't forget or ignore that it happened, I'm just saying . . . why must we continue to obsess about it? I mean, must Facebook light up like a Christmas tree over kids born after 9-11 will now be learning about something they weren't around to see for themselves?

3. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Last night I realized what really bugged me about all this.

These are things that exist and have happened.

The commercial is offensive and by its very existence the store was forced to shutter down. But making money off of that tragedy with collectible coin scams is far more disgusting.

For added irony, the text for the first video reads:

4. D'Snowth

Now they're trying to put more effort into those knee brace commercials with actual backgrounds and layouts:

5. scooterfan360

scooterfan360 Well-Known Member

I'm really annoyed by the domino's pizza commercial, where the one person who wants a salad, is forcing others to get one too.

MikaelaMuppet likes this.
  6. D'Snowth

I just saw that commercial a few minutes ago. Domino's commercials, just in general, are pretty awful anyway - they're always so full of self-pity.

scooterfan360 likes this.
  7. Drtooth

Still looks awful. Who are the cartoons for? That's MY problem with them. These commercials are for senior citizens that have serious joint problems. It's not eye popping, it's not well done, it's...it's just pointless. Why can't they just save the 2 bucks worth of effort and just go straight to the stock footage?

D'Snowth likes this.
  8. Pig's Laundry

It's still just as awkward and creepy as the others. If anything, I think the grandma in this commercial is even creepier than the other ones because she's constantly smiling and talking through her teeth, and the rest of her face hardly moves at all. Also, what's with the little girl's clothes? who even still wears clothes like that?

9. fuzzygobo

fuzzygobo Well-Known Member

What????!!!! Riding bikes without helmets in this day and age??!!
    This ad might be slightly technically better than the other two, but
    doesn't have that so-bad-you- can't-ignore cheesy mung to it.

10. scooterfan360

yeah they are, i really despise the part of the commercial, where two of someone's guest, have this look on their faces, just because they are only serving pizza that they ordered, and not salad. personally, i prefer papa john's , pizza hut, and local pizza places, over domino's pizza any day.

11. Drtooth

I mentioned that a page back or so. This wasn't anything close to an attempt at being funny. Besides, if you have a family member that eats nothing but salads, you learn to keep lettuce on hand. Or should.

12. Pig's Laundry

Yeah, that's true, it's more like a bad Youtube video for kids than anything else, not like so bad you can't believe how lazy it is.

13. Drtooth

Again, for me it's like, what's the point? The cheap cartoons and lame dialogue is patronizing to older viewers who do indeed need medical assistance. If you trim the pointless "animated" sequences out, you still have one of the bland, informative, inoffensive commercials that usually run during the day on retro-Tv stations. I don't think making it look slightly better visually was what the problem with the advertisement.

14. fuzzygobo

fuzzygobo Well-Known Member

To me, pizza chains are passable. (Not Little Caesar's). But short of going to Italy, the mom and pop places will give you a more authentic taste. Pizza Hut, Domino's, etc. is edible. But if people think that's the absolute best, you're settling for a corporate illusion of what's really out there.
    It's like people who like Mexican food and think Taco Bell is the real deal.

Drtooth and scooterfan360 like this.
  15. Drtooth

Also exactly what I said earlier. And you know what? Mom and Pop places have salads on their menu. These chains basically act like any other sort of food that goes with pizza is somehow the most mystical thing ever invented and it's astounding that they somehow have them. Though I do remember a couple Pizza Huts I went to with actual open restaurants that had salad bars in them. Not really common, though.

As for Taco Bell, I doubt anyone actually thinks any of that stuff is close to Mexican, but rather uses it as an alternative to the burger-centric mainstream fast food places. I know a couple guys who refuse to eat any fast food, but like Taco Bell. One's actually an experienced, employed cook.

16. Drtooth

Ehhhh... Wanna know what's far more disturbing than the Cinnamon Toast Crunch pieces eating each other?

A mascot that joyfully impales itself.

17. Mr Snrub

Mr Snrub Active Member

Legends of Chamberlain Heights looks and sounds terrible, Comedy Central. Please stop airing the same commercial for it in every Hulu commercial break

18. Drtooth

I'd beg to differ.

Chamberlain Heights doesn't look and sound terrible...

...it's terrible on every sense of being. ;)

But still better than Mr. Pickles.

19. scooterfan360

this is the one that i just talked about, i so want to smack that women, for forcing her kids and husband to eat salad, just because she wants one.

20. D'Snowth

I see the concencus about recent Cheetos commercials is that Chester Cheetah has pretty much become a douchebag, and I have to agree.