Conan O'Brien in Toronto

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Conan O'Brien begins the first of four special shows taped here in Toronto tonight at 12:35 am on NBC. Looks like it is going to be a great week. He's got some great Canadian guests lined up like Mike Myers, Jim Carrey, Nickelback and the Barenaked Ladies. He's also been busy taping remote bits around Toronto like getting in to a mock dust-up with the Toronto Maple Leaf's Tie Domi.

I actually saw Conan on Queen Street last night - he was signing autographs for a mob of people who were outside the ChumCity building for his appearance on MuchMusic's Much-On-Demand show.

Cool stuff. :cool:

Smy Guiley

Reaction score
Aw, man! I forgot that was this week! I missed last night. I'm never up that late and I have no remote for my VCR to set the timer! Oh, well.

eric

Party_Animal

Reaction score
I love Conan! I had also forgoten that was this week and I missed the first one. :embarrassed: I'll have to remember to watch it tonight! :excited:

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
I'm watching it now--set Tivo for it. I really liked the guy who represented every Canadian stereotype rolled into one. I'm going to try to remember without backing the recording up. I think he was a hockey-playing mountie with a back-bacon hockey stick who lived in a beer-can igloo and loved the band Rush.

Pretty good memory, eh?

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
It was pretty good. Canada loves Conan. They just would have cheered him on stage for half an hour - he didn't have to do anything. Even the crew was getting cheered at the Elgin Theatre last night before the show. Mike Myers was great. They just went all out doing a completely Canadian show, barely stopping to try and explain the local references.

I normally loathe Ron James' stand-up (though he's a nice guy), but even that seemed almost dead-on last night.

I loved the part when Conan did a Don Cherry joke and paused before saying "do you hear that? That's the sound of everyone in America trying to figure out what I'm talking about."

Here's a really great article from today's Toronto Star about last night's episode - http://torontostar.com/NASApp/cs/Co...441&call_pageid=968867495754&col=969483191630

Make sure you tune in tonight!!!

Party_Animal

Reaction score
I saw the re-run on ComedyCentral and it was soooo funny! :zany: I'm going to try and watch tonight's episode I'm sure it'll be just as good. :big_grin:

BoyRaisin2

Reaction score
Buck-Beaver said:
I loved the part when Conan did a Don Cherry joke and paused before saying "do you hear that? That's the sound of everyone in America trying to figure out what I'm talking about."
He's right. I thought he said John Kerry at first, and I have no idea who Don Cherry is.

Lu775

Reaction score
BoyRaisin2 said:
He's right. I thought he said John Kerry at first, and I have no idea who Don Cherry is.
He's the high strung host of Coach's Corner, broadcast during hockey night in Canada. I don't really pay attention to him, but lately he's been getting in trouble for saying incredibly stupid/offensive things on the air. The station recently decided to broadcast his segment with a 10 second delay so that can edit out future faux pas.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/hnic/coach.html

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
And of course now we have the outrage over "Triumphgate" - Triumph the Insult Comic Dog went to Winterfest in Quebec and offended a bunch of French Canadians. People here are really worked up about it. I wrote a piece about it in my blog today.