Concern for the Future of the Muppets

Muppet Master

Reaction score
In my opinion, The Muppets haven't been doing very well since the ABC series was canceled. 2011-2016 felt like a mini-renaissance for Muppet fans. We got two theatrical releases and a primetime series. Unfortunately, Muppets Most Wanted was a box office disappointment, and the ABC series rapidly declined in the ratings after a strong start.

It's possible that The Muppets could make a comeback, but it just feels very unlikely. A theatrical release is probably not going to happen again, at least with Disney in control. Post-COVID, studios don't want to take the risk of releasing a movie in theaters unless it is from a massive franchise that is proven to bring in cash. The Muppets may be a big name, but they have never even gotten a film past the $100 million mark domestically. That means they're stuck on streaming, the modern-day equivalence of the bargain bin/direct-to-DVD format.

Will the Muppets ever go away? I highly doubt it. They will always be around in the form of commercials, shorts, and the occasional Disney+ special. But I just don't see them having a full-length TV series or theatrical release in the future. I really want to say Disney is at fault here. They have so many high-profile properties that Muppets are just a tiny blip for them. If the Muppets were owned by a smaller company, perhaps they would be more of a priority.

GuySmileyfan

Reaction score
In my opinion, The Muppets haven't been doing very well since the ABC series was canceled. 2011-2016 felt like a mini-renaissance for Muppet fans. We got two theatrical releases and a primetime series. Unfortunately, Muppets Most Wanted was a box office disappointment, and the ABC series rapidly declined in the ratings after a strong start.

It's possible that The Muppets could make a comeback, but it just feels very unlikely. A theatrical release is probably not going to happen again, at least with Disney in control. Post-COVID, studios don't want to take the risk of releasing a movie in theaters unless it is from a massive franchise that is proven to bring in cash. The Muppets may be a big name, but they have never even gotten a film past the $100 million mark domestically. That means they're stuck on streaming, the modern-day equivalence of the bargain bin/direct-to-DVD format.

Will the Muppets ever go away? I highly doubt it. They will always be around in the form of commercials, shorts, and the occasional Disney+ special. But I just don't see them having a full-length TV series or theatrical release in the future. I really want to say Disney is at fault here. They have so many high-profile properties that Muppets are just a tiny blip for them. If the Muppets were owned by a smaller company, perhaps they would be more of a priority.
I guess it's the end of the Muppets.😢

Muppet Master

Reaction score
Nope. As I said, they will always be around in some form. And a comeback is still possible.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Yeah, I don’t ever see there being an official “end” to the Muppets. It’s just a simple case where unfortunately they’ve just gotten the short end of the stick with the recent projects that have come out with them.

The tough to swallow pill is they’re unfortunately just after-thoughts with Disney. I honestly feel like a company like Sony perhaps could do better with them.

GuySmileyfan

Reaction score
Sorry about that. I'm trying not to go doom and gloom about it. It's just hard for me right now.
Yeah, I don’t ever see there being an official “end” to the Muppets. It’s just a simple case where unfortunately they’ve just gotten the short end of the stick with the recent projects that have come out with them.

The tough to swallow pill is they’re unfortunately just after-thoughts with Disney. I honestly feel like a company like Sony perhaps could do better with them.
But didn't Sony already tried it with the Muppets on Muppets From Space?

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
They did have the rights at the time, and I honestly feel like they handled the Muppets much better than Disney has in the last couple years. I wouldn’t be opposed to them buying the rights again.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
Sony or Warner Bros would probably handle the Muppets with more care. For Disney, they're nothing more than a tiny dot on a chart like in the 2011 movie

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Ehhhhh I wouldn’t trust Warner with them honestly ever since what’s happened with the merge 2 years ago.