Confound you, Comedy Central!

Drtooth

Reaction score
Now that I think about it, while I'm annoyed the show's ending, at least it got a second chance in the first place. And unlike Family Guy, it didn't get a different audience that hijacked the series. We got character development here, when the main cast of Family Guy got devolved into mean spirited caricatures. Peter has no personality other than sociopath and manchild, rather than Archie Bunker as an 80's TV dad when the show started.

mr3urious

Reaction score
We got character development here, when the main cast of Family Guy got devolved into mean spirited caricatures.
Minor characters and fan-favorites such as Scruffy the Janitor got more screen time, too.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
The cancellation is most likely about money. The voice talent is very expensive. It's only right that they share in the profits.

I enjoy Futurama and it is a quality program, but I agree that not everyone has the same tastes. I must admit to not following the show on Comedy Central. I prefer to watch the seasons as a whole later on.

I doubt this is their final bow. Futurama will probably live on in direct-to-dvd movies and/or Netflix.

Drtooth

Reaction score
It seems like, if nothing else, the contract was fulfilled and it would be too expensive on the whole (not just the voice acting) to renegotiate for one more season.

beatnikchick300

Reaction score
I think Furturama is an only decent show, honestly, but I'll take it being renewed over Family Guy any day. Honestly though, I've wanted nothing to do with Comedy central since they stopped showing reruns of MadTV.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Think of it this way... they saved you from those dreadful last seasons. Man, those were awful. When most of the original cast left the series, it wasn't all that good.

And note... some of them are voice over personalities now. Phil Lamarr, Alex Borestine, Nichole Sullivan.

I hear Shout's going to rerelease the series from the beginning.

robodog

Reaction score
I'm sorry to see it go. I'd much rather see Family Guy cancelled than Futurama. And I say that as someone who still tries to catch new episodes of Family Guy.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The difference is that FG makes so much money for Fox that even Seth MacFarline can't get out of it. And trust me... he wants to. Fox wouldn't even let Seth leave to do Ted unless they rushed out the ROTJ parody... and he didn't even like doing it. The parody text crawl is a long winded rant about how they didn't want to do it, and this one isn't even going to be that funny because they pawned it off on new writers.

robodog

Reaction score
I used to be a huge Family Guy fan. I kind of stopped being that loyal to it when I noticed an overwhelming abundance of animal cruelty jokes across the MacFarlane shows. That's kind of a berserk button of mine. I know real animals aren't being harmed but the idea that we're supposed to find the idea of animals being harmed funny offends me. I still watch them and enjoy them. Just not nearly as much as before.

Drtooth

Reaction score
When the characters started just being mean to each other, I kinda lost interest. I mean, at least when they were being mean to just Meg that had root in the fact that Fox basically forced a female character on them they didn't know how to write for... but when Peter made a ringtone of Joe crying.... that was the start of something really bad. One episode even had him stalk calling Joe and bullying him on the phone.

That's not funny by any means. Peter's inadequacy with Joe was taken care of in Joe's introductory episode, so that's no excuse. Joe's a strong character, and turning him into a buttmonkey was just absolutely uncalled for.