1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Contest: Design art for Fraggle Rock 30th anniversary merchandise

Discussion in 'Fraggle Rock' started by Phillip, Apr 25, 2012.

1. Phillip

Phillip Administrator Staff Member

The Jim Henson Company just announced the following contest today...

Since Fraggle Rock's creation in 1983 it has been seen in 80 countries and watched in a least ten different languages and, to this day, continues to enjoy a loyal international following. In celebration of Fraggle Rock's 30th anniversary, The Jim Henson Company is inviting aspiring artists to design the artwork for their exclusive merchandise. One winner will have their design featured and produced on select items for Fraggle Rock's 30th anniversary, in addition to receiving a private tour of the Jim Henson design studios, followed by invitation to Fraggle Rock's 30th Anniversary party in Los Angeles.

[​IMG] The Jim Henson Company's Choice

The winning design will be featured and produced in elements of Fraggle Rock's 30th anniversary merchandise line, which will be promoted and sold on their online store. In addition, the winner will receive:
    • A private tour of The Jim Henson Company and attendance to Fraggle Rock's 30th anniversary party (travel and two nights' accommodation in Los Angeles for two provided)
    • A framed copy of their artwork
    • A feature on Henson.com and Henson's Facebook page
    • $2,500
    Eight runners-up, as selected by The Jim Henson Company, will each receive:
    • $500
    [​IMG] People's Choice

The highest voted artist will receive:
    • $500
    [​IMG] Get Involved

Submit by: June 20, 2012
    Vote: June 21, 2012 10am PST- June 28, 2012 10am PST
    Winner(s) Announced: July 12, 2012

For more info and to submit your work visit:
    http://www.talenthouse.com/design-for-fraggle-rock-jim-henson

For more info on Fraggle Rock's 30th Anniversary:
    http://henson.com/press_releases/2012-04-25.pdf

If you plan on making a submission, please like this post and tell us about it!
  2. jvcarroll

jvcarroll Well-Known Member

:sigh::coy::smirk: WOW! :dreamy::excited::drool:
    :busy::busy::busy::busy::busy::busy::busy::busy::busy::busy:
    Muppet fan 123 likes this.
  3. Kermieuk

Kermieuk Well-Known Member

Time to start drawing again James!!

A few things I don't understand with this! Can the artwork be produced on paper using pens, ink, pastels etc! Then scanned into a computer and sent as jpg or PDF files?? I'm not to hot at computer graphics by can put pen to paper!!

Also is this only open to USA residents only or world wide??

Finally if the string doll co make a mokey doll it might look more like 'rags' from mokeys funeral!! Hehe

Chris
    jvcarroll likes this.
  4. jvcarroll

I guess you can scan in your work, but I think they want layered fies (i.e. each character and element on a separate layer) so they can move around portions and edit them. :coy: So as long as you can manage to meet that criteria.
  5. Kermieuk

Oh dear!! You've lost me! Hehe.

No I understand a bit. I did a web design course several years ago and we touched on layers etc but as I havnt really put it into practice I'm not too confident.

Anyone have and ideas where I can help or any books that would explain it more!?

Chris
  6. Slackbot

Slackbot Well-Known Member

Hmm... I'll enter this, of course, but I wish I knew what it was going to be used for so I'd have an idea what would fly best. Simple color design for a T-shirt, full painterly pic w/background for poster-ish stuff, etc etc etc.
  7. Phillip

Phillip Administrator Staff Member

8. Kermieuk

That's another thing I also wandered about. Are they asking us to design a piece of merchandise or a design that could be used across a whole range like a hang tag design??

Thanks for the twitter link phil.

Chris
  9. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

10. jvcarroll

Most artists have to buy Adobe Creative Suite for over a thousand dollars. It's the cost of business. :( On the bright side there's really no need for upgrades or their future upgraded versions for 99.9% of things. :p
    Most people pirate it, but I purchased mine. :concern:
  11. muppetlover123

muppetlover123 Well-Known Member

i think i might try do you think drawing them with there performers would be a good idea?
  12. Collgoff

Collgoff Well-Known Member

Yes I love to see it!
  13. muppetlover123

muppetlover123 Well-Known Member

yeahh that might be good ill try just for you :) lol
    Collgoff likes this.
  14. Collgoff

Collgoff Well-Known Member

Oh thank you muppetlover123 that really makes me happy!
  15. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Adobe clearly wants blood. All I can say. I remember looking into it and almost having my first heart attack upon seeing the price. And that's without the Wacom Tablet and a scanner...

Actually, I've been trying for YEARS just to get some part time crap job to be able to afford it, but got denied every time.
  16. bandit

bandit Well-Known Member

Haha! I don't disagree but I kinda like those little guy. They all look like 'Rags.'
  17. kyunkyua

kyunkyua Active Member

Haha, love those string dolls! They sell 'em all over the place here in Germany.
    Oughta prepare something for the contest...
  18. You can get Photoshop elements legally for very little. I have PS5 and Illustratr 5 legally too but there are ways of getting a trail version.
    jvcarroll likes this.
  19. I am gung ho, hands down freaking about about this contect. I HAVE to win tickets to that pary in LA. I live in LA! MUST...MEET..FRAGGLES... LOL This contest is very vague- I am a pro graphic designer and I wonder if it needs screen reduction- how many colors? The Fraggles are like 5 screens each minimum- what is the primary background color on the products used? Hmmmmm makes me wonder... Cleaning up and indexing art is what I do for a living. I design fabric. Does it have to be original artwork or can you use clip art? etc...The website really needs to clairify this stuff...
  20. Ya it's pretty vague! I wish they'd post more details...