Converting SD Video in HD?

Froggy Fool

Reaction score
So, basically... is this actually possible? I want to convert all my videos that are in Standard Definition into High Definition, but I don't know what programs to use or anything.

@D'Snowth, I've seen you do this for your earlier Steve D'Monster episodes. How do you go about doing this?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I don't know if iMovie has the capability to do it, but basically, Windows Movie Maker has an export option for high-definition display, which basically just saves your completed video by up-converting it to a playback display of 1920x1080 pixels (1440x1080 for full screen), which is standard for HD. It doesn't necessarily improve the quality, mind you, since those old Steve D'Monster episodes were shot on SD videotape.

Froggy Fool

Reaction score
I just tried to convert one of my older videos through iMovie, and it looks like it works.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Okay, can I be honest?

I've actually never used imovie. Does it even come with the mac or do you have to download it?

Froggy Fool

Reaction score
Okay, can I be honest?

I've actually never used imovie. Does it even come with the mac or do you have to download it?
Yes, it comes with all Macs, but if for some reason you don't have it, you can get it on the App Store for like $14. I use it to edit all my Youtube videos, and it's pretty good, but I'm starting to outgrow it in terms of my editing skills. I should probably look into Adobe Premiere or Final Cut Pro.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
For Adobe Premiere, what you can do is set your sequence settings for your video project to 1290x1080 pixels (for widescreen) or 1440x1080 pixels (for full screen), then when you import your clips into the video timeline, adjust the scale of the video to fit the new display, since your video clips are obviously going to be smaller.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
I've pretty much been spoiled with it in college.

I've only used final cut once. I didn't use it much to really gain much of a liking.

I've also used avid media composer which was a real disaster.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I remember trying a trial of Adobe Premiere way back when, and I was so confused, I didn't know what to do with it, it was embarrassing! But, like with a lot of things, when I actually got it and began actually using it, I quickly got the hang of it, and it really makes me wish I had it from the get-go: despite still using SD digital video at the time, having Adobe Premiere probably would have helped make my work look a little more presentable back then. >< But hey, I've been using it for three years now, and it's amazing (and being able to film in HD helps, lol).

Like I said, I did try Sony Vegas once for a potential job offer, and I found it to be pretty much an uglier and less user-friendly version of Adobe Premiere.