Cookie Disco Song vs. Me Lost Me Cookie at the Disco

ssetta

Reaction score
I thought I'd continue with the trend. Let's try comparing "Cookie Monster Disco Song" from 1976 to "Me Lost Me Cookie at the Disco" from 1979. Both were sung by Cookie Monster, and both were in a Disco Ballroom. Here are the differences I noticed:

"Cookie Monster Disco Song": It's obviously made earlier, and it seemed like it had more of a rock vibe to it (it was written by Chris Cerf), and it appeared on the show quite a bit in the 1980s. I'm pretty sure it was mainly about pride and self-esteem.

"Me Lost Me Cookie at the Disco": Unlike "Cookie Disco", this song seemed like it had a more Sesame-like feel to it (written by Raposo). This one was more about how if you have a really big obsession (such as cookies) it can interfere with being able to get down and have a good time. Although it was released on the Sesame Disco album, and on 40 Years of Sunny Days, I don't think it was on the actual TV show much at all. I think it was only used once every few seasons, though it HAS been on Play With Me Sesame a lot.

dwmckim

Reaction score
Ooh - nice matchup! Both are excellent takeoffs on disco music though "Lost" is a little more repetitive (but so is a lot of late 70s disco so that's not a strong minus - and this is coming from someone who loves disco and even more so the new wave movement that evolved from it) but Cookie Disco is just too much of a personal favorite of mine to not give the nod to...even if you just listen to the audio, the instumentation is all so beaufully wonderfully 70s and how can anyone not truly love Cookie Monster doing a take-off of Shaft? And if you're watching as well as listening, ya gotta totally dig the entrance of the backing singers!

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I was actually thinking about doing this as my next "vs." thread. Good job!

I like Me Lost Me Cookie at the Disco better. It feels more like a disco song, with a disco setting. I wonder if I would have known "Cookie Disco" was a disco song if it werne't for the title. Though it seems that title has been inconsistient; Albums list it as "Cookie Disco", Old School. Vol. 2 and the back of C is for Cookie Mosnter call it "Cookie Monster Disco Song", and sesamestreet.org calls it "The Disco Song".

Although it was released on the Sesame Disco album, and on 40 Years of Sunny Days, I don't think it was on the actual TV show much at all. I think it was only used once every few seasons, though it HAS been on Play With Me Sesame a lot.
I think you could say that about many segments. With the show having an average of 130 episodes per season for over two and a half decades, with many new segments made each year as well, there's bound to be many segments that wouldn't have been shown every year. I think the best chances of a segment being shown frequently each season would have been if it was about a letter or number (since every episode is sponsored by letters and numbers), or if it ties into a curriculum goal of the season. There's a lot of classic segments that I only remember seeing on the show once.

Also, Me Lost Me Cookie at the Disco is from season 11, a few years before disco lost popularity. I figure that after disco lost popularity segments about disco were shown less, though I've read that Me Lost Me Cookie at the Disco was last shown in a 1996 episode (and ABC Disco was included in a 1990 video). I don't remember seeing any segments with disco settings on the show growing up.

dwmckim

Reaction score
Since i was a child of the 70s who watched religiously, i know Cookie Disco was shown more than Lost. Until it showed up online, i couldn't easily racall the visuals.

ISNorden

Reaction score
If "Cookie Disco" is the parody of the "Shaft" theme, with the blinged-out Cookie Monster eating cookies as his female backup singers encourage him...then that's the one my vote goes for. The scenery is more dramatic, the minor characters more involved, and the physical comedy more memorable than the ones in "Me Lost Me Cookie at the Disco".

No matter which song you prefer, though, both prove a good point: that Sesame Street occasionally had room for purely fun parodies, comedy for comedy's sake without any obvious lesson. Even school days allow a few minutes of recess, and "character songs" were Sesame Street's own playtime.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I definitely recall seeing "Me Lost Me Cookie at the Disco" sometime in the late 90's on the show.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Hmm, I gotta be honest, both songs tend to remind me of why Disco is no longer around, lol.

"It's something that happened a long time ago and it's never, ever coming back." Hehe, I love Rugrats!

I did however like "Disco D," mostly because Richard Hunt sang it, lol. And "Disco Frog" was fun if only for its creepiness, hehe.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Hmm, I gotta be honest, both songs tend to remind me of why Disco is no longer around, lol.
Really? I would have thought those two are good examples of why disco should have stayed (though I feel Cookie Disco sounds more like a typical rock song). If anything country music should have died. :halo:

Slightly off-topic, but I wonder if Me Lost Me Cookie at the Disco (and Disco Frog) was written especially for the Sesame Disco album. It seems all the other tracks on the disco albums were either special disco versions of popular Sesame Street songs or numbers that I don't think were ever performed on the show (maybe someday I'll be proven wrong). Me Lost Me Cookie and Disco Frog are both copyrighted 1979, the year Sesame Disco came out, and there have been a number of songs that were on albums before being lip-synched on the show.

Aside from those two numbers, it seems like none of the show's various disco performances were included on either of the disco albums. I think Cookie Disco might be the only Sesame Street disco song not included on either album to have been released in audio form. But there are many great disco tunes that should have been released on albums (ABC Disco (though that might be too visual for an audio release), Gimmie Five, D Duah Duah (aka Be My D), Disco D, the somewhat obscure Disco Toothbrush).

ssetta

Reaction score
I think Cookie Disco might be the only Sesame Street disco song not included on either album to have been released in audio form.
Cookie Disco actually WAS on an album, it was on "Aren't You Glad You're You?"

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Cookie Disco actually WAS on an album, it was on "Aren't You Glad You're You?"
What I meant was, I think it's the only disco song not on either of the disco albums (Sesame Street Fever, Sesame Disco) that did make it on Sesame Street albums (I know it was also in Tenth Anniversary Album, Cookie Monster and Grover: True Blue, and The Best of Cookie Monster).