Cookie Monster and Oscar The Grouch

Pug Lover

Reaction score
When I was about 2 years old,I began attending nursery school at a modern bungalow house that had been made into a nursery school.It was there,believe it or not,where I first came upon Cookie Monster and Oscar The Grouch.These were smaller hand puppet replicas that sat side by side,each in their own special box,at the far end of one of the school's playrooms.My parents later bought me my very own copies of the exact same two puppets.An interesting thing is,Cookie Monster and Oscar were rarely seen together on Sesame Street.I'm aware that Frank Oz did Cookie Monster,while Oscar was done by Carroll Spinney.But in fact,I can only remember one segment that had these two characters together.I can't remember what the situation was,but it took place by Oscar's trash can.I just remember the end of the segment,where for some reason,Cookie Monster got a craving for Oscar's trash can.So as he tried to devour Oscar's trash can,with Oscar in it,Oscar began helplessly pushing Cookie Monster away while at the same time yelling for help. :grouchy: :crazy:

Censored

Reaction score
Pug Lover said:
When I was about 2 years old,I began attending nursery school at a modern bungalow house that had been made into a nursery school.It was there,believe it or not,where I first came upon Cookie Monster and Oscar The Grouch.These were smaller hand puppet replicas that sat side by side,each in their own special box,at the far end of one of the school's playrooms.My parents later bought me my very own copies of the exact same two puppets.An interesting thing is,Cookie Monster and Oscar were rarely seen together on Sesame Street.I'm aware that Frank Oz did Cookie Monster,while Oscar was done by Carroll Spinney.But in fact,I can only remember one segment that had these two characters together.I can't remember what the situation was,but it took place by Oscar's trash can.I just remember the end of the segment,where for some reason,Cookie Monster got a craving for Oscar's trash can.So as he tried to devour Oscar's trash can,with Oscar in it,Oscar began helplessly pushing Cookie Monster away while at the same time yelling for help. :grouchy: :crazy:
Ah, yes! Those hand puppets were so cool! The original ones were made by Educational Toys, Inc. which was part of Topper Corp. The original Oscar came in a box that was shaped like half a garbage can. Cookie Monster's box had pictures of cookies that could be cut out and fed into a hole in his mouth. Great stuff.

I think I might remember that Cookie and Oscar skit you're referring to. If it's the one I'm thinking of, it ended with Oscar giving Cookie Monster a few spare cookies that he had. (There was a similar skit with Oscar and Herry Monster where Herry started angrily shaking Oscar's can because he wouldn't return something of Herry's that he borrowed). Oscar was also seen in the background of Cookie's famous "C Is For Cookie".

If I had to speculate as to why Cookie Monster and Oscar the Grouch were seldom seen together, I'd say it's because neither character really added anything to the other. They both had rather obsessive personalities that usually worked best with a "straight man" that one of them could exasperate.

Don_Music_2004

Reaction score
Well another reason why Oscar was rarely shown with Cookie is because there was a period of about 20 years on the show when Cookie Monster didn't appear on the street at all, only in taped inserts, Oscar is usually always in street scenes, and rarely in taped inserts that take place outside the street. There are a few exceptions though, He popped up in Ernie and Bert's appartment once during the show's second season, he sang a song about Trash called "Throw it my way" which took place in a park in 1990. But I think the main reason why a lot of people don't remember seeiing Cookie Monster and Oscar together much is because Oscar has always been a street regular, and Cookie was an insert regular for about 20 years straight. I think he stopped appearing on the street in 1980, and made his first comeback in 2000.

Erine81981

Reaction score
There was an episodes just this last week but Cookie goes away after eating some cookies after Elmo and Zoe see the Box of cookies is a square. I know Cookie didn't interact w/ Oscar but he was at his can. It was cool. I think they need to use more of the Monsters in new segments. I hope they do more.

Censored

Reaction score
Don_Music_2004 said:
Well another reason why Oscar was rarely shown with Cookie is because there was a period of about 20 years on the show when Cookie Monster didn't appear on the street at all, only in taped inserts, Oscar is usually always in street scenes, and rarely in taped inserts that take place outside the street. There are a few exceptions though, He popped up in Ernie and Bert's appartment once during the show's second season, he sang a song about Trash called "Throw it my way" which took place in a park in 1990. But I think the main reason why a lot of people don't remember seeiing Cookie Monster and Oscar together much is because Oscar has always been a street regular, and Cookie was an insert regular for about 20 years straight. I think he stopped appearing on the street in 1980, and made his first comeback in 2000.

True. Even though I consider the eighties to be the last of the "real Sesame Street" era, one flaw was that there was almost total segregation of "street muppets" and "skit muppets". I think that was a big mistake since part of Sesame Street's magic was the feeling of "connectedness" among all of the characters.

I always thought it was a shame that other muppets, besides Big Bird, were not included in the "death of Mr. Hooper" street scene. Ernie and Bert should have been reminiscing about how good Mr. Hooper was to them on Christmas Eve, Cookie Monster should have commented on how Mr. Hooper always gave him things to eat, Oscar should have shown that even grouches cry when someone special dies, along with many other possible muppet reactions. As touching as that episode was, on some levels, they missed the boat. Fortunately, they did include all of the current muppets in Luis and Maria's wedding.

Don_Music_2004

Reaction score
I always thought it was a shame that other muppets, besides Big Bird, were not included in the "death of Mr. Hooper" street scene. Ernie and Bert should have been reminiscing about how good Mr. Hooper was to them on Christmas Eve, Cookie Monster should have commented on how Mr. Hooper always gave him things to eat, Oscar should have shown that even grouches cry when someone special dies, along with many other possible muppet reactions. As touching as that episode was, on some levels, they missed the boat. Fortunately, they did include all of the current muppets in Luis and Maria's wedding.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I always thought they should have also had a scene where they told Oscar about Mr. Hooper's Death, and see how he reacted. It would really make a good show, this would have also worked with Cookie Monster. I don't think it would have made a good skit with Telly because he joined the show just a few years before Mr. Hooper died, so they were never together much.

jeffkjoe

Reaction score
As recently as last year, Cookie Monster was seen at Oscar's trash can begging him for cookies.

But Oscar never addressed Cookie as "Cookie Monster."

Splurge

Reaction score
Thought I'd add this tidbit. On the last Shalom Sesame video: "Kids Sing Israel (and Grouches Don't), Oscar appears on the video with his cousin Moishe Oofnik - the Israeli grouch.

Sarah Jessica Parker was one of the other "guests" on this episode. Here, she's lost but the grouches won't help her find her way. She notices that one of them is Oscar, and she is a big fan of Oscar. She apporaches him by saying, "You couldn't be.... You're here in Israel...are you.." and Oscar cuts her off with a sarcastic "Well, you've figured it out. I'm the Cookie Monster." The grouches laugh and Oscar hams it up more, "Lemme have cookie. Gimme Gimme Gimme!"

And of course, when she told him what a big admirer she is of Oscar the Grouch, he did not like it one bit. It was a fun moment on a video that otherwise I felt dragged on too long.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Other than that, Oscar and Cookie don';t really go... there's nothing you can really do with both characters. There's no chemistry, plus... what would Oscar and Cookie do? There's nothing comical about them together, unless Oscar offers Cookie an anchovie and banana cookie... just can't think of anything that works with those 2 characters.

Splurge

Reaction score
You know I have a bit of a fuzzy memory of an Oscar/Cookie street scenario. I don't remember the reason, but Cookie bit a hole into Oscar's trash can lid. (With Cookie, did there have to be reason anyway?) Anyway, Oscar popped out of his can and was getting really upset, thinking how the rain could come through the hole and get everything in his trash can all soaked. Then after pondering that, his mood lightened up, thinking "Hey this is great!"

Like I say, it's a memory that's fuzzy and blue... and green. Maybe I dreamt it.