Cookie Monster "eating healthier" in news

MuppetQuilter

Reaction score
Count makes a lot of sense.

Sesame Workshop puts out press releases (and preview videos) hyping the new season every year. If they can find something that will intrigue the press they get a pile of free publicity for the show and maybe rekindle some interest and pick up some new viewers. If you were writing a story about SST promoting healthy eating habits wouldn't vaguley funny references to Cookie Monster be an easy way to go about it? The average reporter isn't a SST fanatic and may not remember Captain Vegetable but everyone knows Cookie Monster. It makes a better story than the Dr. Phil parodies.

But that's all it is. A little free publicity. The thing about free publicity is you rarely get to control the precise content. So you end up with Carrot Monster, which will never happen. But it still serves the purpose for which it was intended-- building hype and interest in a show that needs to increase viewers.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Ziffel said:
You are right Dr. Tooth. What I meant was SS didn't ever need to try to make Oscar become sweet in order to try to teach kids to have kindness and respect for others. Sorry if the way I worded it was not the best! :smile:

Yeah... after all, a week ago, OScar called Snuffy an overstuffed sofa.... so I don't think there's too much to worry about. But I feel that the character needs the deep dark sweet side that he brings out when he's with Slimey (who's like a son to him) to make him a more well rounded character.

>>But seriously, as much as I hate tinkering with canon and politically correct stuff(wheres Franklin Rosevelt???) I am happy to see this new direction. It's 2005...kids are getting fat but noone talks about it.<<

Yeah, I like the fact they are going in this direction, but... weren't they already IN that direction with "Healthy Food" and "Captain Vegitable"? And I don't think that worked too well... There have been many PSA's over the years telling kids to stuff stuffing their faces and get some excersize, and I don't think that worked, either....

MuppetQuilter

Reaction score
Saw this article on Americans not making healthy choices. Apparently Americans ignore healthy lifestyle advice and the people who give this sort of advice are looking for new and improved ways to get their message out there. Thought this tied in with the discussion on Cookie Monster and SST's new(ish) focus on health.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/HEALTH/diet.fitness/04/26/health.advice.reut/index.html