Cops Call Ghostbusters

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
This should interest our Kentucky boy, Byron.

http://stacks.msnbc.com/news/961452.asp?0dm=b17mt&cp1=1

Police call in the ghostbusters

Things go bump in the night at Kentucky town’s police HQ

ASSOCIATED PRESS

SHELBYVILLE, Ky., Sept. 4 — Stumped by mysterious sights and sounds in their own headquarters, who did police call? Ghostbusters.

Do you believe in ghosts?
* 7429 responses
Yes. 34%
Not ghosts, but maybe paranormal phenomena. 30%
No way. 24%
I just can't say. 11%

IN THE STILL of night, doors rattled and stairwells creaked in the city’s police department. In the light of day, a secretary’s desk drawer opened on its own. A city worker who toured the building late one night even reported feeling something grab her leg.

So the police took the probe to another dimension.

“The way I treat it is not that there is a ghost, there’s just things that I can’t explain,” said Officer John Wilson, who contacted the Scientific Investigative Ghost Hunting Team, based in Louisville.

The team of professional paranormal investigators gave the brick building a preliminary review and will return this fall for a thorough probe. The group will set up cameras and tape recorders as well as infrared thermometers to capture any temperature variations.

The goal is to try to prove the strange occurrences aren’t caused by paranormal forces, said Kay Owen, vice president of the nonprofit ghosting hunting team, which doesn’t charge for its services.

“We’ll go in and try to re-create everything that they are experiencing,” she said. “If they can re-create it, it’s not paranormal. It can be explained. It’s a process of elimination.”

The team already determined the doors are hung properly on hinges.

19TH-CENTURY STRUCTURE

In the spring, police in this town, about 20 miles east of Louisville, moved into the brick building, part of which was renovated and dates back to the 19th century. The rest of the headquarters was built new.

Wilson, a regular on the night shift, said Wednesday he started noticing unexplainable events soon after the headquarters opened.

One night, he was stuffing paperwork into a mail slot when he noticed a door to his left jiggling. “It was like someone was trying to get in but didn’t have the key,” Wilson said.

Wilson checked and no one was on the other side of the door.

The following nights, Wilson and other officers heard knocking on doors and walls. Sometimes, doors opened and closed on their own. Quick checks turned up no one responsible, he said. Other nights, officers heard what seemed to be footsteps on the stairs, but again no one was there, he said.

Once, officers and members of the ghost hunting team came across what seemed to be a strange column of heat in an upstairs hallway, Wilson said. He starting sweating in one part of the hallway where it was extremely hot, he said. A few steps away it turned cool, he said.

“We can’t explain that. It’s still under investigation,” Owen said.

‘A LOT OF LITTLE THINGS’

Wilson said a half-dozen officers have seen or heard strange things at the headquarters. He said they aren’t jumping to any conclusions.

“Nobody’s seen a big, shadowy figure walking around or anything like that,” Wilson said. “It’s just lots of little things that make you scratch your head and wonder what’s going on.

“I’m not making it out to be like ‘Poltergeist.’”

Police Chief Stewart Shirley said his officers haven’t been unnerved by the occurrences.

“When something happens, I think they kind of look at each other and their eyes open wide, they grin and say, ‘Let’s go see what this is,’” Shirley said. “And they kind of walk through and check things out and laugh about it and move on.”

Shirley said he has seen the desk drawer open on its own at an administrative assistant’s desk. Shirley said he has not seen any other strange occurrences but believes the accounts of Wilson and the others. “So I’m just kind of leaving it up in the air right now,” Shirley said.

‘The fear of the unknown is probably one of the biggest fears that humans have.’ — JOHN WILSON, Shelbyville police officer

Wendy Rutledge, a deputy city clerk, said once while touring the headquarters at night she felt something grab her right calf.

“It was warm at first and then after that it tingled,” she said. “It was a strange sensation.”

Rutledge placed a teddy bear on the second floor of the headquarters after she saw what she believed was the face of a young child.

Wilson, meanwhile, said he thinks the strange occurrences can be explained, which he hopes the ghost hunters will do. “Because the fear of the unknown is probably one of the biggest fears that humans have,” Wilson said.

© 2003 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
Gee, maybe Byron will have to add a stop to his itinerary! :crazy: I'm not entirely sure what to think about ghosts, but I think I believe in them. Never had any kind of paranormal experiences, though...
Erin

Erine81981

Reaction score
For some reason when I either hear or see something that makes my skin crawl or my eye's water up. I'm a scared of ghost. I know its weird to be scared but since I've seen movies or shows or hear about things like this happening I get scared or like I said my eyes water. I can't even go into a dark room w/out turning on a light hoping the light is right there. Then I won't go. I read about a story about a little girl being seen w/out legs under her gown. And the thing is they showed a pic of this girl. Now that was scary. I can't stand strange nosies or things happening for no apparent reason. Well theres my 2 cents for my own true life. I"M AFRIED OF GHOST!! I'm like Shaggy or Scooby when they see a ghost the run in mid-air. Hope they figure this ghost of a chance. (a little joke) :eek:

Muppetsdownunder

Reaction score
Thats strange stuff, That kind of stuff interests me, I often wonder if ghosts and stuff might be true. reincarnation might also be true, who knows! :smile:

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I've studied the paranormal since I was a kid, having been raised in a pre-Civil War antebellum city named Holly Springs, MS. There were tons of ghost stories around, and the Hillcrest Cemetary is the location of the first in-town ghost I had ever seen.

If you can get the book "13 Mississippi Ghosts and Jeffrey" page 127 has a story titled "The Cameo" about a house owned by the Buchanans which has had tons of things going on there. It was the location of the Marshall Academy Senior Class photo shoots for the school annual, and my best friend (at the time) sister was there. Lights were going on and off--the actual Switch being turned on and off and nobody there--shadows, things missing and then showing up in another room.

I personally have been to several locations, felt the "hot spots" (which are cold spots in reality and indicate a ghost--it's like a vaccuum of cold air and when you put your hand inside of it you know the difference from the outside air or the inside of the ghost), seen lights, photographed at least one orb, heard objects being moved...different things.

As far as believing? Yes, I do. Seen and experienced too much not to; still, I wouldn't discredit anything in the universe and apply a theory of at least 1% belief in whatever 'could be.' I believe there 'could be' yeti, aliens on distant planets, atlantis...

As far as being afraid of certain things: There's a quote from a paranormal researcher (who I don't think was ever credited) that stated: Ghosts are barely aware of their own plights, much less capable of inflicting harm on others. So, don't be afraid of them, they either just need to be recognized, or are trying to convey a message. That's all.

Most injuries sustained during apparitional experiences occur when the one who sees them is in the process of running away from fear. One guy fell down some stairs once trying to get away from a ghost, but said the ghost pushed him! LOL!!

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
That's really cool, Kevin! As I said I've never experienced anything like that, but I would love to. As long as it's not something too scary. Two of my favorite movies involve ghosts: "The Sixth Sense" and "Ghost." "The Others" was pretty good too. I like the thought that they're mostly benevolent and, if anything, looking for help. Much better than evil spectres (is that the word?) looming in the shadows with rusty hooks... :eek:
Erin

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Spooks and specters/spectres...hmm...I dunno how to spell that.

My terminology only uses ghost or apparition. I don't use the other words because they're too hokey.

Erine81981

Reaction score
I know most ghost r friendly but some could be from below and not above the world. I'm just scared because of being around anything that goes bumb in the night. I've just been afraid of those kinds of things. I'm not saying that I'm scared because they might be out to get me but not. Still I don't want to see anything I don't care if they r friendly. It freaks me out to think of that stuff. :eek:

Muppetsdownunder

Reaction score
I think I believe in that stuff! I also loved that movie, the others, its one of my favourite movies. Its got a great story to it and I only got the story once I watched it twice. :big_grin:

Kevin, What is an orb?
:smile: