Copyrights

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Hiya,

I know there are a LOT of creative people on here, and if you want to protect your whatever it is (not your 'caboose'), you certainly need a copyright.

LOOK! Here's a link to the proper forms you need to file with the Library of Congress:

http://www.loc.gov/copyright/forms/

Names and Titles and Logos is a different thing, and you'll need to get Trademarks for those.

Hope this helps and GOOD LUCK!

FOZ

Joggy

Reaction score
We Dutchpeople are lucky... Over here, you don't even need copyright. Ya already have copyright as soon as you create something.

Of course, copyrighting it officially helps in case you don't want people to steal your project. What also helps is putting it in a sealed envelope and send it to yourself. If you wanna sue the thief of your ideas, you can use that closed envelope with the date stamp on it as a proof you made it up earlier.

And I'm only telling everyone this because I just survived an exam on this subject. Phew.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
In USA, you can attempt the old envelope thing, but your only actual legal recourse comes if you have a real Copyright.

Copyright does officially become yours at the moment of creation, but you have to submit a copy to the Library of Congress for pure protection.

If not, you just hang in the balances and see what happens in the event of a court case.

I own a copyright, but I never put the notice on my stuff, crazy huh?

Janice & Mokey's Man

Reaction score
Hey, I heard that if you, like, mail yourself your creative stuff and don't open it, it's admissable in court as "copyrighted stuff" (not legal term).

How 'bout 'at?

:confused:

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
It could work. Still, your only REAL protection is by filing through Library of Congress. I dunno about other countries, tho.

anathema

Reaction score
Originally posted by Fozzie Bear
It could work. Still, your only REAL protection is by filing through Library of Congress. I dunno about other countries, tho.
We're more civilised :smile: Stick yer name and the date on it, and it's done.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
In that case, I want to come live there.

With you...

I'll be bringing my art supplies, puppet supplies, costumes, toys, books...um, you DO have lots of food in your refrigerator, right?

anathema

Reaction score
Originally posted by Fozzie Bear
In that case, I want to come live there.

With you...

I'll be bringing my art supplies, puppet supplies, costumes, toys, books...um, you DO have lots of food in your refrigerator, right?
That could be problematic...I don't actually eat... And my shelves are kinda full of Lego at the moment :big_grin:

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Maybe I'll just move in with Byron, and make a nest in his back hair?

Luke

Reaction score
Originally posted by anathema
We're more civilised :smile: Stick yer name and the date on it, and it's done.
That is the public perception, but it's a very weak method because the person you are accusing of copyright theft would actually have to acknowledge they had viewed your work with that copyright tag on it and well, they aren't likely to do that. Best bet is to go to solicitor in the UK, or if someone can't afford that, use registered post to mail it to themselves.