Could some Muppets be considered violent?

muppetmonster

Reaction score
I have a question to everyone. Would you consider the muppets on "the Muppet Show" (not "Sesame Street") to be violent? I know the show is not extremely violent, but it does seem to have mild violence, at least to me. For example, Marvin Suggs being sadistic and hitting what is otherwise known as muppaphones, Crazy Harry blowing up dynamite, and Gonzo shooting himself out of a cannon. Lew Zealand also seems kind of sadistic to me, maybe masochistic, because in "the Muppets Take Manhattan" he threw boomerang fish at people, and in "it is a very merry muppet Christmas", there is a scene where Lew threw two of his boomerang fish, and they came back to him slapping Gonzo and Kermit right in their faces. Violent. Anyway, what are your opinions?

Muppetmonster

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
There has been a longstanding issue with the extreme politically correct crowd dealing with Miss Piggy's outbursts, but I (and most people) tend to find that silly. :smile:

Suggs is sadistic, but has gotten his comeuppance before in sketches. That's the deal with him. It's what makes him funny.

I remember there being a sensitivity issue when Palisades planned to release their Crazy Harry figure in the fresh post 9/11 world. Henson, retailers and fans didn't seem to be concerned. There was more of an issue over his hair sculpt than anything else. However, Harry did appear in the Oz special so there might be a place for him after all. Who knows if it will include explosives, but maybe he's transcended into other more Gonzo-like craziness? :crazy:

Lew is harmless and actually cares for and names his boomerang fish. As for smacking people with them, well...that's classic comedy. That will always be around somewhere. :concern:

theprawncracker

Reaction score
I think Harry will continue to be the plunger-happy explosives lover we know him to be. In a recent promo for The Muppet Show Season 3 DVD boxset one of the main hilights of the show was the explosions! :crazy: So I don't think we need to worry.

uppitymuppity

Reaction score
Jim Henson definitely had a dark side or rather he knew the world was not made up of only smiles and roses. He was one smart cookie:insatiable:

The Muppet Show was not only violent but, it was full of stereotypes. I believe Jim was a bohemian in the best sense of the word. He was always great acknowledging that without darkness there is no light and vice versa.

I for one am so annoyed by political correctness these days. It's become bourgeois.:sleep:

MrsPepper

Reaction score
I for one am so annoyed by political correctness these days. It's become bourgeois.:sleep:
Hmm, I don't think you used the word bourgeois correctly, cause I'm not sure what you mean; can you elaborate?

uppitymuppity

Reaction score
Bourgeois:
conforming to the standards and conventions of the middle class; "a bourgeois mentality"
[syn: conservative

In common usage the term has pejorative connotations suggesting either undeserved wealth, or lifestyles, tastes, and opinions that lack the sophistication of the rich or the authenticity of the intellectual or the poor.

Not that I have anything against the middle class but, the word generally means "stick in the mud" or "conformist".

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Jim put it like this. They have a cartoon likeness to them. Witch means that they can do things like Looney Toons that humans usually can't get away with. They don't die or get hurt, that just have like black suds all over their face and they their right back to normal. They were just playing it up for laughs. It's like the sweetish chef breaking out with a barrel gun to prepare his meal. LOL!

Xerus

Reaction score
I remember in Muppets Tonight, when Seymour and Pepe were trying to battle a giant dough monster, Seymour took out a small gun and shot the monster. And this was a 90's Muppet show too. I kind of thought they wouldn't show stuff like that anymore.