Cover Art for UK's Very Best of TMS Vol. 3

jediX

Reaction score
King Prawn said:
I really want this one (mainly for "The Muppets A Celebration Of 30 Years).
That's the only reason I want this :wink:

Douglas Fir: Is that a Boglin in your avatar???

Douglas Fir

Reaction score
jediX said:
Douglas Fir: Is that a Boglin in your avatar???
It's actually a rather scary version of Yoda from Steve Oederkirk's "Thumb Wars" - but I have a sneaky suspicion that they used a customized Boglin or something similar for it!!!

In case you're not familiar with Steve's thumbation movies he basically made a serious of spoof movies where all the characters are thumbs with little costumes on and faces digitally added (with the exception of Yoda who actually is more than aware he is a puppet)!!! He's responsible for Bat Thumb, The Blair Thumb, Frankenthumb, The Godthumb, Thumbtanic and the aforementioned Thumb Wars (and they're all pretty funny - but Thumb Wars is my favorite)!!!

Little is known about the mysterious Master Puppet. Some say he is a being of pure Thumb energy, manifesting in this universe as a source of wisdom. Others say his power comes from a hand that extends from beneath the floor into his body. All agree that his deep, knowing eyes are definitely googley..

http://www.oentertainment.com/InsaneO/Thumbs/thumbwars/thumbs/thumbs_puppet.htm

jediX

Reaction score
Yup, its a Boglin -- I have that exact one in the other room :smile:

MuppetDanny

Reaction score
I just looked at the official Columbia Tri-Star Home Entertainment site and this's what they say on the Best of TMS Vol. 3 :

The Muppet Show

Cast : The Muppets , Diana Ross, Linda Carter & Johnny Cash
RUNNING TIME : 150 mins
CATALOG No. : CDRP1259
CLOSE CAPTIONED : Yes
MENU LANGUAGE: English
LANGUAGE : English
AUDIO OPTIONS : Stereo
NUMBER OF DISKS : 1
ASPECT RATIO : 1.33:1
TYPE : DVD5
SPECIAL FEATURES :
Diana Ross, Linda Carter & Johnny Cash episodes
2nd half of Muppet Fairy Tales

info : cthe.co.uk

muppet_dk

Reaction score
It's nice that there now are 3 episodes insteed of just 2.
But what happend to the special "The Muppets celebrate 30 years" :concern: .
That's was the thing that I looked forward to :cry:

Douglas Fir

Reaction score
If the running time is 150 minutes and all we are getting is three episodes + the 2nd Muppet Fairy Tales then there is a discrepancy somewhere.

Using the last UK release (Vol. 2) as a guide - the regular episodes run approx 25½ minutes and the Muppet Fairy Tales run approx 32¼ minutes. So if on Vol. 3 we are getting 3 episodes plus the 2nd Fairy Tales that gives approx 110¾ minutes (possibly a few minutes more if they include the Brian Henson intros - which incidentally were used on Vol. 1 but not on Vol. 2).

So anyway the contents listed leave us just under 40 minutes short of the listed running time - anyone know how long the 30 Years special was?

Douglas Fir

Reaction score
Also I've just realised that the Johnny Cash episode has never been released on DVD before - it was included in HMV's exclusive VHS box set but it was one of the episodes dropped when they re-released the set on DVD!

So even if we have lost the 30 Year special :boo: (which I'm still hoping isn't true!) I can justify buying this for the Muppet Fairy Tales and 1 new episode on DVD! :smile:

mattyboy

Reaction score
This is great news. The Diana Ross Episode's never been released in the U.K before so this is FANTASTIC. (Typicak though that I already have this one and they couldn't release some from the Timelife site, like Marty Feldman, Mummenschanz...etc)> I hope the 30 year thing will also be on it too.
Thanks for the info.

Douglas Fir

Reaction score
I just checked BlackStar and the old UK VHS of the 30 Years special was 47 minutes long. So if Columbia TriStar were roundind down to the nearest minute we would have: 3 x 25 minute episodes + 32 minute Fairy Tales + 47 minute 30 Years special... that gives 154 minutes.

So if Columbia TriStar have it listed as 150 minutes we're not that far out! I still hope the special is on the DVD - I love Muppet specials where the franchises cross-over!!!

mattyboy

Reaction score
Maybe it's not '30 years special' but it could be a 50-minute compilation of the best bits of the muppet show like the other two DVD's, because the 3 episodes and 'Muppet Fairy Tales' are listed as 'Special Features.'