Crank Yanker Style

SpecialEd1

Reaction score
Does anyone know where i can order Crank Yanker Style puppets? (Ones that somewhat resemble humans but exaggerate their features.)

Any help would be very appreciated. :smile:

By the way, in case you didnt already know, Crank Yankers is a hilarous show on Comedy Central where real people make side-splitting, innuendo-filled crank phone calls, then use the puppets to play the role of the pranker and the prankee.

-Matt

buckshot

Reaction score
welcome to the forum. i'm pretty sure that we're all very familiar w/ crank yankers. i'm not too sure as to where you can find a puppet that looks exactly like the crank yankers'. armslength used to sell some puppets that were similar, but you can't get it off of their site anymore. i know that rick lyon has worked w/ the crank yanker puppets, and he does make custom puppets upon request. or you could always make your own. hope this helps. :big_grin:

SpecialEd1

Reaction score
Hmm, I'm thinking the best alternative is to make my own, which by the way I have no clue about. Call me crazy, but I've just recently been getting into puppetry, and I brutally honestly don't know a bloody thing about it. So I was wondering if anyone knew any books/sites that instruct (step-by-step) how to make your own pro puppet. And please keep in mind i'm only 13, so my budget is limited... :frown:

-Matt

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
The Crank Yanker puppets were designed by a New York design outfit called Funny Garbage. C.Y. was their first puppet job. They sort of got it by accident because Jimmy Kimmel (one of the producers) liked their design work. The puppets on the show are pretty basic - although stylized - foam hand/rod puppets.

Probably the best way to start is by getting your hands on a copy of The Foam Book from Grey Seal Puppets. You can order it online through amazon.com or the Grey Seal web site, but I would check your local library for it first to save money. I have a puppet building tutorial online here. Some of the techniques I discuss there can be adapted to do "Crank Yanker" style puppets.

There is tons of information on building foam puppets here in the forum. Do a search of the Puppetry section under "beginner" "puppet building" or "foam puppet" and you will probably find everything that you need to know to get started.